Kid reviews for The Hobbit

Brilliantly written, inventive pre-LOTR tale.

Kid, 12 years old December 9, 2016

The Hobbit

In my opinion, The Hobbit is one of the best books of all time. It is a creative fantasy story about Bilbo Baggins, the hobbit, who never indulges in any kind of adventures. He goes on an adventure with a wizard, a company of dwarves, and meets various characters along the way. There are lots of epic battles against orcs and goblins, but they are not very violent. It is sophisticated in how it's written, and children 8-10 probably wouldn't understand it all but I was read it aloud by my dad when I was eight and I was exuberant after listening to him read. I recommend getting this book for your child before reading The Lord of the Rings as that is very complex and may bore younger children. Please get this book for your child you don't know what you are missing out on.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPeaceLoveCats November 27, 2016

My favorite book

My most favorite book! I started reading when I was 10 & finished when I was 11 (book takes a while to read). Perfect book for anyone 7+, because it's not to cheesy, but not to adultish. Of course, lots of violence/scares in the book, stealing, and mild drinking. Not much other bad things, and since it was read to JRR Toiken's children as a bed time story, not much to worry about. Great book!

Kid, 10 years old November 26, 2016

This amazing book can be very suspenseful at most times!

This book was so fun to read! It has lots of deaths in it and also has three sad deaths when three beloved dwarves are killed. The story is very exciting like when Bilbo and the dwarves meet up with goblins and then they have to escape from them. There is a lot of violence but there's no bad language. One year after they read the book they should watch the movies and then read The Lord of the Rings.

Teen, 16 years old Written byjburdette October 6, 2016

A Fantastic Journey Through Middle Earth

Are you craving an extremely immersive book that you just can’t stop reading? The Hobbit is one of the few books that has ever done this to me, being the beginning of a series of books that is probably my favorite of all time. The Hobbit is a fictional fantasy book appropriate for 10+ ages.
The Hobbit follows the story of Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit, who is on a journey to steal back the magnificent treasures of the dragon Smaug.
The book managed to cover many things that I wanted to see whilst reading. I was immersed in the world, the characters, and the storyline. The plot never failed me. I always felt like I was in a productive part of the book, rather than a slow, unimaginative, and boring section. It is fun to read, and the series of books that it continues into, the Lord of the Rings, is an addition to it all, and provides nothing but more content to explore.
The Hobbit has the power to draw in any reader, and keep them for the entire ride. It has an amazing story, colorful characters, and an unforgettable adventure. The only problem was that it didn’t last very long, I just couldn’t stop reading!

Teen, 13 years old Written byWi11owmae October 4, 2016

Very very good, hard to comprehend

I think this was an amazing book and it was never dull. Something exciting was always happening. As far as content goes this is ver child friendly and I would rate it 8+, however, this book can be hard to understand at times and may need an older reader to appreciate the story.

Kid, 9 years old August 20, 2016

Not bad

It was pretty good. If you want a book of an adventure, you should read this book. It ranges from dark woods to beastly monsters. But is is scary for young children.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan August 13, 2016

The Hobbit book review

The Hobbit is one of my favorite novels of all time. This is the classic adventure story. Bilbo Baggins is a great characters as is everyone in this novel. I will not talk a lot about the plot for I do not want to spoil anything. This novel appeals to many people, including myself, for the feel-good sense of adventure. The characters really do drive the story. Along the way characters learn about friendship and camaraderie. The action and adventure aspect of The Hobbit is also handled well. The book is very well-written and is a classic. It shows that size of the body matters not, but the size of the heart does. I do think young children will learn a lot about self-esteem through reading this terrific novel.
Kid, 11 years old June 8, 2016

Amazing!

I read this book at age 8 al by myself, but I'm a very advanced reader, so I would say that anyone from ages 11 and up would love it. Not any younger unless you're an advanced reader simply because of the older writing style, the battles and wars.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysage333 May 27, 2016

Thoughtful Fantasy

This book was the story of a little being called the Hobbit who was whisked into a perilous adventure that he had never intended to go on. With some dwarves and a wise wizard, he found courage and his adventurous self as he proceeded with his journey. They also encountered some other dangerous creatures such as trolls, goblins and a dozen of some enormous spiders. Mr. Bilbo Baggins, the main character, found a mysterious "magic ring" which proved to be useful but disturbing in its history. In the end, they couldn't even accomplish their main goal though they put their best efforts in everything. I was able to learn new vocabulary words through this book and I recommend it to 6th and 7th graders.
There was an unexpected twist in the end and I love how this book perfectly intwine with the series of "The Lord of the Rings".

Teen, 13 years old Written bysage333 May 27, 2016

Thoughtful Fantasy

Kid, 11 years old April 24, 2016

The First Novel I Read!

Great novel is sometimes violent

Kid, 9 years old April 19, 2016

What you should know about the Hobbit.

The Hobbit is a bit dull in the beginning, but as soon as Gandalf comes along
things get a little hectic. Things can get a little scary, but it's almost always okay. One person dies, and another is almost always gone. Things toward
the end get a little violent. There's a little smoking in it, but otherwise it's okay. Now go along and read it.

Kid, 12 years old January 7, 2016

Wow

I read this book for a school challenge and I love it. It wasn't dragged out like the films. Love it. You must read it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBreaden Hoffmaster December 31, 2015

This is the best fantasy book ever written.

J. R. R. Tolkien has scored a masterpiece which will be read from generations to come. The famous beginning of "In a hole in the ground, there lived a Hobbit," will be sure to entertain young and old readers, and the pages will keep them spell-bound. Bilbo (the hobbit) goes on an unexpected adventure with 13 dwarves, and they go through enchanted forests, almost get eaten by trolls, battle goblins, climb mountains, and have the journey of a life-time! The violence isn't gory and graphic as in "The Lord of the Rings", and it isn't long and drawn out like Tolkien's other work, but readers will read: battles between goblins and dwarves, battles with a dragon and GIANT spiders, etc. There is no language, other then "Hell" meaning the place, and sex is not applicable at all. This is a beautiful literature book, and I've read it 7 times because I love it so much. It's a great book for a read-a-loud, or for personal reading.
Ps- Bilbo and others smoke pipes several times

Teen, 13 years old Written byTARDIS Tourist December 28, 2015

This epic book will not disapoint you. This movie is a great prequel for the LOTR.

J.R.R. Tolkien is a master of words. His epic book is full of adventure, character development, and strange creatures. This book has the theme that courage is necessary to enjoy life. The characters are wise and learn lessons throughout their journey. Give this book to your children, parents.

Kid, 10 years old December 28, 2015

Will Not Disappoint

The best book ever! I read it when I was little and LOVED it!

Teen, 13 years old Written bymythicalmegan July 14, 2015

Fantastic!!!

This book was brilliantly written. I am only about 5 chapters in and I cant put it down! I am a book nerd though-so i dont know if that makes a difference. I also fid watch the movies first, but i prefer to do that simce i feel that I can understand the book better. I feel this wpuld be a great bedtime story/read aloud for kids 5 and up, if you replace older words for newer one so they can understand. I would also say anyone about 9 or so could read it on their own. Anyway-I highly recommend this book! Must Read!!! There is however some violence and creepiness for younger kids so just know if they will be able to handle it:)

Teen, 14 years old Written byParkerSmykle July 5, 2015

a awesome book

a awesome book i have read it 10 times 5/5 stars i love it :)
Kid, 11 years old June 19, 2015

Some violent and creepy parts, but good for young kids to learn new words

I recommend it for 5+ because it is perfect for kids to learn new words and to learn a lesson abot why greediness for riches is bad.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySquidGiant2319 June 1, 2015

The Hobbit

The hobbit is the best story I have ever read. It is so inspirational and packed with action! It is my all time favorite book and is simply amazing. It is personally my favorite because I grew watching the Lord of the Rings movies and reading the books, along with the Hobbit. So SUCK IT people who hate this book! This book is just too much for you if you can't understand it and my age...