Kid reviews for The Hobbit

Brilliantly written, inventive pre-LOTR tale.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypalkpreet19 December 6, 2017

BORING!!!

I think that this book does not interest me at all. I know other people made this book seem horrible but I personally don’t disagree with them at all. The plot begins very slowly and I easily lost interest in this book. It did include violence and killing and slaying as well. You should not read this ever. If you have a chance just don’t take it, I would rather you not read this at all. I fell asleep reading the first page. My whole paragraph summarized:
NEVER READ THIS BOOK!!!

Kid, 11 years old November 24, 2011

The Hobbit book is awesome

I think this book is amazing I just started reading the SECOND chapter.I can't even put this book down! The first chapter is going to be quite boring but if you can get past the first chapter then you will be fine with the book. But please be aware that this is not a book for little kids to read as it is to complicated for even me to understand sometimes. and you will just get your little kids bored to death and frustrated ! Overall its a great book !

Teen, 14 years old Written byelizabeththemus... May 22, 2020

Don’t Read This Too Early In Life

I read this book in fifth grade because I needed the AR points. It changed my life. I credit this book with my love for reading, as it showed me that there is more to literature than getting stupid AR points. Reading is such a big part of me, and this was the spark that lit the flame.

That being said, Tolkien is notoriously descriptive. Some people love it, and some people hate it. If you find the first few chapters boring, then you might wait a few years to read this. Also keep in mind that there will be more excitement in later chapters.

This book is banned for witchcraft. It shouldn’t be. Yes, there is a wizard named Gandalf, but he is a great character. This book isn’t about witchcraft, it’s about adventure.

Kid, 10 years old June 17, 2020

so good

This is definitely one of my favorite books. It is super exciting and I love how J.R.R. Tolkien created all these amazing places, characters and creatures.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMaynardJ03 June 6, 2020

The beginning to my favorite book series.

This is what I would call a beautiful beginning to my favorite book series. This is the one that started it all. We follow Bilbo and the dwarves and Gandalf, on a long journey. Go read it now! This is a great book to read to children at bedtime. Its also just a wonderful read in general.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySKIED March 29, 2020

Love it!

The Hobbit+LOTR is the best trilogy I have ever read. The hobbit is written brilliantly with so many foreshadowing features that lead up to the Lord of the Rings. I first read this book with my dad, and it opened my eyes to a whole new world. J.R.R Tolkien is a pure genius!

Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2020

Just not interesting

This book has educational value, but it’s just boring. I am IN LOVE with reading and books, this took me more than a month to read and every time I thought about reading I groaned, just didn’t want to read this book. There were some parts of the book that were a little interesting, but that *some parts* is literally %10 of the book. I’m going to try and read it again in a few years, but I don’t think I’ll ever really love it. I know this book is supposed to be awesome, but I just don’t really get it. If you want to challenge yourself though, read the Hobbit.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySHADOWvampire October 21, 2019

THE MOST BORING BOOK EVER!

This book was SUPER boring. They go on an adventure then they walk around a hole lot and it is like blah blah blah blah. They don't do anything that cool. The riddles were super boring. There were no women in it at all. In my opinion it was dumb because they wanted to go on an adventure and one of them ends of dying. I am still trying to figure out if they figured out that they could die. LOL. This book was so boring. But this is all in my opinion.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymatthewm_06 June 17, 2019

The Hobbit Book Review

NO! NO NO NO!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPotatoe Salad May 28, 2019

Give It a Try

The Hobbit is a must read if your a fan of fantasy. At first the book is slow, sure, and yes it’s a little long for some readers but it is a great read once your about ⅖ into the book. Packed with action, great plot, character development, and and colourful detail I would recommend this to fantasy fiction writers 12 and up. I would not recommend this book if you are more into the historical fiction genre as the book focuses on magic and mythical creatures and might not interest you. I would also not recommend reading The Hobbit yet if you are not a fast reader or if you are 10 or younger as it might me a little advanced. I would give The Hobbit 4.5 out of 5 stars as it was an entertaining read and worth a your time, although it did have a slow start. So if you are into fantasy and haven’t already read The Hobbit, or even if you have, give it a try.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySarah Madden May 3, 2019

Confusing fantasy cliche isn't worth it, but has some interesting points to make.

I had to read this book for a school assignment and, to be honest, it's very boring. I've learned that good writers "show" and don't "tell" stories to make them captivating and this is showing the opposite of what they say it takes to write well! There's too much describing and most of the characters barely have a personality at all, except Bilbo was a slightly likeable and relatable character. The plot was rather unoriginal but I do like the coming-of-age theme it has. It has some important messages like bravery, facing fears, and teamwork. Some chapters in the book were mildly interesting and suspenseful, has some articulate use of words, and rather violent. I recommend this for readers age 10+, since it has some violence and difficult to understand at first but overall I don't like this book and don't get why everybody likes it so much. Also HOW DID THIS SELL MORE COPIES THAN HARRY POTTER?!

Kid, 10 years old July 20, 2020

Too long, but still good

I read The Hobbit as a challenge. It was really good, but too long for its story. The Hobbit could have conveyed the same message if it was half as long.

Kid, 12 years old July 19, 2020

Great story, but chapters a bit long

I really liked the story of this book, and it was a really good one, but I found the chapters were too long. Each chapter is like 30 pages, which when you have limited reading time, it is just too long. I think i would have a much higher rating for this book if the chapters were broken up a little more

Teen, 13 years old Written byx_muffinxo June 27, 2020

An amazing Novel

Before I read the book I watched the movie, but the book has so much more detail and the thoughts of the characters throughout the book. I would 100% recommend to anyone who loves fantasy adventure novels or just fantasy in general.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNeonTurtle June 20, 2020

Gets more exciting with each chapter.

I honestly understand why most kids find this novel boring because it took me multiple attempts to really get into the flow of this book. It begins with a sort of stale atmosphere and it's hard to comprehend what exactly is going on, but the magic in J.R.R. Tolkien's writing is that the humor and wit increase with each chapter.
Despite being set in a fictional world, I found myself relating with the character's emotions and actions.
The characters are very lovable and descriptive. I'm usually very forgetful when it comes to the ultimate memorization of characters, but The Hobbit really emphasizes their role in the story and it wasn't hard for me to differentiate the fat and clumsy Bomber from the sarcastic and sullen Thorin.
In other words, I recommend this book. It's value is only appreciated by passionate and avid readers so if this is you, I think you should DEFINITELY read this timely classic.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySylvanElf23 June 12, 2020

Great For Homeschooled Kids With High IQ

Honestly this is the BEST book I have ever read. I own this along with many Tolkien books. I am fluent in Tengwar and Runes, and I do speak Sindarin. Only smart kids will enjoy this though! If your children or students are not well educated they will find this book very boring. I was at a high school reading level in fourth grade, so you could say I'm a nerd. Comng from a huge Tolkien fan, this is the best book I bet you will ever read (not including LOTR).

Teen, 13 years old Written bycatlottewt May 30, 2020

You need to push through the first half

The Hobbit is just another fantasy tale about a Hobbit and some dwarves going on an adventure. If you are not a patient person, I don't think you would like this. Most of this book is just walking around in the mountains and worrying a whole lot.
The moral and theme of this book is nice though, like how small things can have big impacts as a main one.
I personally like books with teens as main characters more, as it's relatable, like harry potter with the school life and Percy Jackson with fighting off monsters and Greek mythology. But this is just a hobbit and dwarves not knowing what to do. So yeah, you might just fall out of interest with this book.

Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2020

Truly AMAZING Fantasy!

This book is one of the best books I’ve ever read! It’s a story about a hobbit named Bilbo going on an adventure to get back stolen gold from a dragon named Smaug! Gandalf is an amazing character that aids Bilbo and the dwarves and uses brains over violence. A little violent at times; rarely describes blood and gore. Read it when I was 7 or 8 and am rereading it again! ASTOUNDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2020

Wonderful classic

I think this is a wonderful book. Not as dense as LOTR and it tells the tale of Bilbo Baggins in the perfect way.
Read The Hobbit before reading LOTR and more will make sense in LOTR.
Also, the movies are good but read the book first because they got a whole lot wrong in the movies.

Teen, 14 years old Written byaninexperienced... July 31, 2019

The Definitive Fantasy Novel

This book is a compelling tale of a hobbit's quest through haunted forests, long plains, and mountains infested with goblins. The writing is seldom violent and very entertaining.