All teen and kid member reviews for The Hobbit

Kid, 11 years old November 24, 2011

The Hobbit book is awesome

I think this book is amazing I just started reading the SECOND chapter.I can't even put this book down! The first chapter is going to be quite boring but if you can get past the first chapter then you will be fine with the book. But please be aware that this is not a book for little kids to read as it is to complicated for even me to understand sometimes. and you will just get your little kids bored to death and frustrated ! Overall its a great book !
Kid, 10 years old October 22, 2009

Teen, 13 years old Written bykathleeeeen February 20, 2009

The best book I have ever read!

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien is the best book I have ever read. This book is about a hobbit named Biblo. He goes on an adventure with Thorin and company (13 dwarves). On there adventure they encounter all sorts of creatures. They battle goblins and wolves, get captured by giant spiders and wood elves, they almost get eaten by trolls and go on so many other adventures! Along the way they get some help from dwarves, lake people, eagles, shape-shifters, and many other people! This is an amazing, suspensful book and I can't wait to read the Lord of the Rings! --- Kathleen- A girl scout-------
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

OMGOODNESS - SOOOOOO BORING!

I practically died trying to read this book for school. J.R.R.Tolkein taks like ten pages to describe a tree. The action would be okay if he hadn't written it, but he totally makes you want to fall asleep! If you don't mind a slow plot, go for this book!
Kid, 11 years old August 15, 2012

Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2011

Good Boook

Some violence but not too much. Some difficult language and morals, but a great book and positive messages. Thorin and his company are very noble as well, and are good role models. However, hobbits smoke and drink quite a bit.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBroadwayFan6 July 29, 2011

Book for all ages

This was the first book I ever read. Well, I guess 'read' is inaccurate, my dad read them to me every night before I went to sleep. Even at the age of 3-4, I still understood it. In contrast to the excellent (but admittedly difficult to read) Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit is easier to read but no less complex in terms of plotline. The entire story is exciting, filled with dragons, elves, trolls, dwarves, wizards, and funny little people called hobbits. The role models are excellent though not flawless and it is a gripping adventure. I say this is a great book for any age, young or old. Then, as kids mature, they can watch the LOTR movies and take on the more complex trilogy. Read it to your kids out loud and watch their interest and excitement grow with every word.
Kid, 12 years old November 17, 2010

boring

Just one sentance...I found it very boring.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

The Hobbit is a really good book.

I am reading The Fellowship of the Ring now, and I think you should probably get the whole Lord of the Rings series because that is the series after the Hobbit. The Fellowship of the Ring is the first book.
Kid, 9 years old March 17, 2010

GREAT BOOK!!

I liked the book, but it is hard to read and has some fights that might be scary for little kids
Teen, 15 years old Written byKourttnii April 9, 2008

What A Book!!!!

What a book alot of people would say I personally thought myself that alot of parts in the story was very boaring!!! The only parts of the book i thought was intresting was the big things just like the dragon part or when bilbo esapes the scary cave. But the thing i thought was weird was how JRR Tolkien usd other languages or ununderstanding words, and how one thing acarried of for like 10 chapters i though that was just a lil weird!!! -kourttnii
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmma's Dawn September 27, 2013

Brilliant Book. Inventive writing.

I read the hobbit when I was in fourth grade (seven years old). I have reread it many times since then.Though it does contain some violence it's much less descriptive then Lord of the Rings. It is the prequel to LOTR so it shares some places and characters (Gollem, Gandalf, the Shire, etc.). It is a fantastically brilliant book. I reccomend it to everyone, no matter your age. I think it's OK for 7 year olds, just because it's a big book and I don't think anyone younger then that would want to. Anyway. Brilliance. Read.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypatton1942 September 1, 2011

AWSOMMMMMMME

Love it an there absouloutly nothing wrong with it.
Kid, 12 years old October 13, 2009

Great book for kids too young too read Lord of the Rings. This magical adventure will suit Harry Potter fans fine.
Kid, 12 years old August 24, 2014

Kind of boring.

I though this book had a good and creative story, but there was too much explanation of the surroundings, which could make it boring. I personally couldn't finish the book. I almost read to the end, but the detailed explanation of the surroundings and the slow progress prevented me from being intrigued.
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2013

Good read!

I found this book a little slow at the beginning but soon the adventure sped up! I couldn't put it down at some parts and really enjoyed it! I'd say it would be for kids aged 10 and over - it's not rude at all but some parts are harder.
Kid, 9 years old May 23, 2012

The Hobbit is such a Waste of Time!

I am reading The Hobbit for enrichment at school and I read the intro and a few sentences of Chapter 1 and I hated it! Please don't make your kids read The Hobbit.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDaisyLaisy July 29, 2011

Great for all

The Hobbit, an exciting and interesting prequel to the Lord of the Rings is an excellent old-timey adventure tale. While this book is good for all ages, some of the concepts and language can be very hard to grasp, as this book wasn't written with modern slang and tongue in mind. This book is pretty clean, other than frequent attacks (Goblins and other mythical creatures) and the occasional smoke or jug of mead.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPlaystehPiano April 16, 2010

One of the best books ever written

I had my dad read this to me when I was little, and even today I think it is one of my favorite books. JRR Tolkien was such a brilliant author, and created an entirely new world that fascinates both young and older readers. Those who don't read fantasy books often need to check out this title. However, some of the words may be confusing for younger kids, so a lot of explanation may be needed to help them get through the story.
Kid, 12 years old May 9, 2009

I read this in the second grade....and fell in love with it.

Even though I have read it many times, this is still one of my favorite books. I like how the old-time-ish atmosphere mixes with the pace of the story. The poems, songs, and riddles in this book I have practically memorized. A fast-paced, exciting book about a small man with big accomplishments. ~~~So tra-la-la-lally, way down through the vallley, come on....~~~