All member reviews for The Hobbit

Kid, 10 years old October 22, 2009

Kid, 11 years old November 24, 2011

The Hobbit book is awesome

I think this book is amazing I just started reading the SECOND chapter.I can't even put this book down! The first chapter is going to be quite boring but if you can get past the first chapter then you will be fine with the book. But please be aware that this is not a book for little kids to read as it is to complicated for even me to understand sometimes. and you will just get your little kids bored to death and frustrated ! Overall its a great book !
Teen, 13 years old Written bykathleeeeen February 20, 2009

The best book I have ever read!

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien is the best book I have ever read. This book is about a hobbit named Biblo. He goes on an adventure with Thorin and company (13 dwarves). On there adventure they encounter all sorts of creatures. They battle goblins and wolves, get captured by giant spiders and wood elves, they almost get eaten by trolls and go on so many other adventures! Along the way they get some help from dwarves, lake people, eagles, shape-shifters, and many other people! This is an amazing, suspensful book and I can't wait to read the Lord of the Rings! --- Kathleen- A girl scout-------
Kid, 10 years old January 11, 2010

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!! Tolkien is a great author. for 6 - 7 read it aloud.
Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2011

Good Boook

Some violence but not too much. Some difficult language and morals, but a great book and positive messages. Thorin and his company are very noble as well, and are good role models. However, hobbits smoke and drink quite a bit.
Kid, 12 years old March 19, 2010

Perfect for tweens and fantasy lovers of all ages

the best book ever. large battles, awesome characters, and a beautiful setting. some light drug reference. otherwise a great book
Kid, 9 years old March 17, 2010

GREAT BOOK!!

I liked the book, but it is hard to read and has some fights that might be scary for little kids
Teen, 13 years old Written bypatton1942 September 1, 2011

AWSOMMMMMMME

Love it an there absouloutly nothing wrong with it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDaisyLaisy July 29, 2011

Great for all

The Hobbit, an exciting and interesting prequel to the Lord of the Rings is an excellent old-timey adventure tale. While this book is good for all ages, some of the concepts and language can be very hard to grasp, as this book wasn't written with modern slang and tongue in mind. This book is pretty clean, other than frequent attacks (Goblins and other mythical creatures) and the occasional smoke or jug of mead.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynerdgirl96 January 16, 2011

good adventure story

I've read this book quite a few times- and I'm usually not all that into adventure stories. Definitely a good read. However, I didn't read it to myself at eight, I think you would have to be at least twelve to handle the length by yourself.
Teen, 13 years old Written by12 year old November 8, 2011

A 12 year old's love of The Hobbit

I am 12 years of age and i'm in love with the Lord of the Rings Saga. The Hobbit, however, takes me to a journey to the world of goblins and Hobbits to wizards and Dwarfs. I am compelled to the magical whereabouts that Bilbo Baggins and his companions travel to and as a 12 year old, i reckon that kids my age need to be able to express more of their imagination. It is a FLAWLESS masterpiece which REALLY doesn't end tragically! Read it before the movie..
Teen, 16 years old Written byBroadwayFan6 July 29, 2011

Book for all ages

This was the first book I ever read. Well, I guess 'read' is inaccurate, my dad read them to me every night before I went to sleep. Even at the age of 3-4, I still understood it. In contrast to the excellent (but admittedly difficult to read) Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit is easier to read but no less complex in terms of plotline. The entire story is exciting, filled with dragons, elves, trolls, dwarves, wizards, and funny little people called hobbits. The role models are excellent though not flawless and it is a gripping adventure. I say this is a great book for any age, young or old. Then, as kids mature, they can watch the LOTR movies and take on the more complex trilogy. Read it to your kids out loud and watch their interest and excitement grow with every word.
Kid, 12 years old November 17, 2010

boring

Just one sentance...I found it very boring.
Kid, 12 years old January 11, 2011

Great Book, but too scary for little kids.

This is an amazing book. I read it when I was seven and have read it about ten times since. It is a bit scary at times, like when The dwarves get captured by spiders. There is some use of alcohol, but not irespontsoly.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJoey123 June 20, 2009

One of the best!..

I Loved this book! The only concerns would be the violence of the book, which hardly ever becomes graphic. You just need to be aware of what you child can handle. It may be a little long for anyone youger than twelve.
Kid, 12 years old October 21, 2012

Imaginative, beautiful, simple, J.R.R. Tolkien's masterpiece is un-flagging!

When I finished the book it was awesome! I remember the setting of the evil dragon Smaug, Bilbo going on his adventure, even the engaging setting of the battle of five armies. A brilliantly-written masterpiece, the places are so imaginative that you can just imagine without even quitting (on your own small world, this is how I felt. Now I'm using a dictionary for The Lord of the Rings trilogy). Also Peter Jackson's a genius! He is making The Hobbit into three movies by putting it all into detail (I discussed this with my dad and we agreed). Movies compared to books always have some differences but I read in a magazine that he is putting the same setting compared to the book. The bad thing I obviously remember that other directors tried to brake in to make the movie. The ending is moving and heartful. Wait until you see the cartoon! The book does have some scary images here. Bilbo is captured a few times, whipped, trolls make decisions on whether to cook the dwarves in one scene. Especially the battle of five armies. With Goblins, Men, Wood-elves, Wargs (wolves), and eagles. This scene includes some sad deaths. Like any other old yelled story, characters smoke and blow smoke rings. If you're interested in reading this go read it aloud to a 9-year-old, go watch the 1977 cartoon, or maybe wait for the movie!
Kid, 11 years old August 15, 2012

Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

The Hobbit is a really good book.

I am reading The Fellowship of the Ring now, and I think you should probably get the whole Lord of the Rings series because that is the series after the Hobbit. The Fellowship of the Ring is the first book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

OMGOODNESS - SOOOOOO BORING!

I practically died trying to read this book for school. J.R.R.Tolkein taks like ten pages to describe a tree. The action would be okay if he hadn't written it, but he totally makes you want to fall asleep! If you don't mind a slow plot, go for this book!
Teen, 15 years old Written byKourttnii April 9, 2008

What A Book!!!!

What a book alot of people would say I personally thought myself that alot of parts in the story was very boaring!!! The only parts of the book i thought was intresting was the big things just like the dragon part or when bilbo esapes the scary cave. But the thing i thought was weird was how JRR Tolkien usd other languages or ununderstanding words, and how one thing acarried of for like 10 chapters i though that was just a lil weird!!! -kourttnii