All member reviews for The House of Hades: The Heroes of Olympus, Book 4

Another thrilling adventure, this time in the underworld.

Kid, 10 years old November 2, 2013

Poor Nico. It's just because Percy is his hero! He's over it now though! Gosh.

This is not bad! This is DISNEY FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Allyou people! I have never read this before. But I LIVE WITH A PSYCHOLOGICAL FANGIRL NUTBALL CRAY-CRAY SISTER! She tells me about everything. Nico is over it! He is fine! We know that gay may or may not be good but everyone who is upset about it, please do not be. It was only because to some people gay is good and Rick wanted to be nice. Even if you don't like gay, you should still be kind to gay people. From my sister..... "THIS BOOK ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cupid is BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" LOVE, THE psYChO NUTBALL OF PERCY JACKSON SERIES FANGIRL's sister. Olivia (IG: @olivia4everr, psycho sister: @bella_loves_books.
Adult Written byitwasakidneyinf... August 11, 2014

DON'T JUDGE

This is an amazing book! All you care about is Nico's little crush. I don't really judge him. The book isn't about his crush! There's a lot more to look forward to! Yes, I was pretty surprised, but I didn't care later on. The people who dislike Nico's feelings towards Percy should feel ashamed.
Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2013

Best book Ever!

this book is totally the best!! Really funny parts. You learn the true love of Nico DiAngelo's life (not Annabeth)
Teen, 17 years old Written bykitcass September 4, 2014

I grew up with these books, and saying that, I stopped reading them after the Last Olympian because i thought that was it. Turns out its not, and I picked up the newest 4 and read them all in a weekend. When I got to the cupid scene, I had to re-read it about 10 times, I was so excited! finally, a kid like me, in a book that isn't about being gay! I loved Riordan work since i opened the first percy jackson book when I was a little 12 year old, and reading about the same characters who have literally grown up with me is great, but I could never see myself in percy or annabeth, or any character in most fiction. Love triangles make me snore, and most I tend to skip over most romantic sup-plots in books, because I don't care. I'm never going to get a boyfriend, and that's ok. I am so happy with Nico's character, the fact that rick gave us 7 books to learn to love him for his character, until revealing he has a crush on Percy, and moving right along. It isn't a big deal, it's just a part of who he is, and it in no way defines him, exactly how homosexuality should be viewed. Now to address all you angry parents: you probably know a gay person. Your kid could be gay, or your kids best friend. I have no idea why you would think not letting them read this book would "protect" them from the horrors of gay lifestyle, but it won't. Middle schoolers have it hard, they're already trying to figure out who they are, and let me tell you from personal experience, telling your confused children that being gay will send them to hell, doesn't make them straight. It makes them hate themselves, or hate others who don't conform to their (your) way of thinking. Gay people exist, and more importantly, gay kids exist, and need to know their feelings are normal, and who they love doesn't define them. Also for all you religious parents, you do know it's a way bigger sin to let your kids read about Greek gods being real than to be gay right? Everyone knows you don't actually care about your religious moral code, and are just picking what to call sinful to justify your own personal prejudice. It truly gives me hope for the future comparing the kids reviews and adult reviews, as long as kids are integrated into modern society they're going to learn about gays one way or another, and Nico is a fantastic character to start with
Parent of a 2, 3, 4, 13, and 14 year old Written byavictoria August 26, 2014

Disappointed

I just have to say, I was let down by most of these parents reactions. This book, the series, in fact, is exactly what kids need. It's informative, relatable, and there is nothing that shouldn't be. So what, Nico's gay. Are homosexuals so taboo that they should be something kids be shielded against? They too, are people. It's a scary reality. Face it. You might even like them. To bash this incredible book and author for it is incredulous. And, news flash, your kids just might have gay friends. Nico coming out, sorta, and the other character's supportive response to it actually is something I want this next generation to feel they can do. The Percy and Annabeth scene caught me off guard at first, but it was innocent. Rick Riordan will continue to have my full and loyal fandom loyalty, no matter how many children he maims and throws in hell and maims again.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMiss Grace April 21, 2014

I don't understand why people don't like it

So what? Nico's gay, I think its great that its accepted, after all, we don't choose who we love, do we? People need to teach their children that its okay to like the same sex. It's not something to shun, its something to widely accept, because, what if your child liked the same sex and you were vocal on your dislike of same sex relationships, your child would be scared to tell you, and would most likely avoid you. It was an excellent book, an amazing read, I really enjoyed it,
Adult Written bymayaa May 20, 2015

PARENTS DONT KNOW WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT

Parent Written byThanos April 18, 2014

Nothing like I imagined, if your smart that scares you

I am not sure who said this book was suspenseful and action packed; sadly, this is a grave miscalculation. This book failed completely to resurrect any of the excitement of it's previous volumes. I Honestly expected the book to end sooner and I thought He would have checked in with Reyna more on her journey instead of having her just show up. If this next book is anything like House of Hades don't bother printing it and save your money. It might be time to stop piggy backing and create something new.
Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2013

More than Satisfying Sequel to the Bestselling Series

House of Hades is in excellent sequel to Mark of Athena. It is a fresh face-paced sequel that will keep all Rick Riordan fans satisfied with the humor, action, and drama. The violence isn't very graphic, so there isn't much blood or death. There are a couple kisses between demigods and a mention of someone love for another person who is the same gender. The demigods help each other through battle, and are all positive role models, though sometimes squabbling between one another and mythical figures. Positive messages and learning include the frequent use of Greek and Roman Mythology, teenagers who care for one another and work as a team, and tenderness between girlfriends and boyfriends. Language is kept to a minimum with a few uses of "Gods!" House of Hades is age-appropriate for ages 10 and up, but anyone eleven and up will not be bothered and will enjoy the series just as well. Read this book, but read the rest of the series first. I cannot wait until the next book: Blood of Olympus. Counting down the Minutes!!!!
Adult Written bytezb April 12, 2015

good book!

This book is a great addition to the series- it's funny, educational and entertaining. I couldn't put it down! The only thing that I'd warn against is that it might be a bit violent for younger kids. There's nothing much worse than the rest of the series, though. Even after so many books, there was still more to learn about Greek mythology in this one. I loved it! A lot of people seem to be annoyed that there's a gay character, who has a crush on someone of the same gender- which I think is just plain ridiculous. It's an innocent crush. Percy and Annabeth have been in love, kissing, ect, for eight books now and you're worried because one character has a crush on another? So, so many of the kids reading this series will have someone to relate to. Seeing a gay character won't "turn kids gay", it'll show kids with crushes on others of the same gender that they're not crazy or broken. The reaction to this character is also great- they're supported. It's important for kids to see people being accepted for their differences. I grew up with the Percy Jackson series, and I think I'm a better person for it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysupereader October 21, 2014

I really loved this book

I found this book great, the whole Percy Jackson and the Olympians and the Heroes of Olympus continues to be my favorite series. Percy and Annabeth fall into tartarus causing them to really connect even more and literally trust each other with their life (please note that they are no longer 12). The other characters have to work together and join forces to get them out of tartarus, and gives a good example of working together. Now, please ignore all the comments that are making such a big deal of Nico. The idea is not too stressed out and he did not "make" Nico gay, he did hint it throughout the series and it explains many of his actions. Rick Riordan wrote another intense yet humorous book (BOB THE TITAN!) and leaves fans hooked in for the next book, the Blood of Olympus.
Kid, 10 years old August 19, 2014

STOP HATING ON NICO

So what if Nico likes Percy? There's a twist to every story. You can't judge someone because they like a certain person. What if your loved one told you that they were gay? Would you hate them, or treat them normally? This book is amazing.
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2014

REALLY?! It's not that bad!!

I really think this is one of the best books in the series! I've read all the other books and received this one for my Birthday. Those of you who are worried about Nico being gay; they mention it for less than a paragraph and it DOES NOT spoil the WHOLE book. Really people, there are a lot more inappropriate things out there. Does your kid read the news? Anyway, I think this is the best book in the series and I can't wait for the next one. Those kids whose parents won't let them read it, I'm sorry for you. Those of you who just stopped reading it, you're being silly.
Kid, 11 years old May 7, 2014

Fantastic Book!

This book is really good! First of all, it teaches kids about Greek mythology in a fun way. Also, it has really good messages about good and evil, being loyal to your friends, and it also shows it's ok to be different. Mild violence but kids 9 or older should be able to handle it.(Also, to the parents who say the gay character is against the bible, I know in Leviticus it says a man liking another man is bad, but Jesus said you should love everyone no matter what.)
Kid, 10 years old January 18, 2014

Amazing book

I love it. It is absolutely amazing and everyone should be able to read it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMC3913 December 9, 2013

Gay character

The only thing I think anyone may find offencive in this book is, a main character is revealed to be Gay. But this isn't really a problem, and it should provide a positve influence for kids. Showing them that 1. it is ok to be attracted to a person of your gender and 2. give other gay children someone they can look up to in literatuire. If your ideals are that men and women only should be together I reccomend you dont read this book.
Adult Written byMeandMyOpinion April 1, 2015

I don't get the hate this book is great

Sure there is a gay character but I don't care and you are blind if you don't see it coming. There is violence but it's an Percy Jackson book. It should not be hated on because it is fantastically written and if it is hated on for a gay character then something is wrong because you can't denie it is an amazingly well written book.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM March 9, 2014

Riodan crafts thrilling segment, gets politcal, and sets stage for The End

I adore this series. I adore Percy. I adore Riordan's writing style, and his empathetic sense of humor. And I question my overall adoration. Yes, yes. It is mostly because Nico (well, technically it was either Riordan or his publisher) decided he was gay, and attached to Percy. Great, how is this series going to end? My fears settled moderately, yet not all the way, at the implication in the middle of the novel that it hasn't been decided what Nico is going to do about. It has been established he has, uh, queer leanings of affection, yet how is he going to act upon them? For all we know, Riordan might be very thoughtful and conservative in how he pens Nico's narrative. But there is also the possibility Nico will be heralded at the next Gay Pride parade, so we will all be uptight until October. Looking forward to it (insert sarcasm). I continue to hope that Riordan's stepping into controversy won't extend more beyond this. Speaking of controversy, the romance isn't heating up as fast as everyone calculated, which means I don't have to rate the novel +14 and potentially iffy. Percy and Annabeth, though stuck together alone (ooh la la!) on a wild adventure across Tartarus, don't do anything that raises blood pressure besides kiss and embrace. The various couples are all hearts and roses, as well, but they're too busy saving the world right now. Hopefully Nico will pick up that hint and stash away what ever personal crises he has until later. The violence is the same: fights with ancient weapons, monsters turn into dust when destroyed, wounds are quickly healed through ambrosia and nectar. Some tragedy involving an old, lovable character called Bob may cause some distress for the sensitive reader, but overall that part of the plot is most compelling. If I remember correctly there wasn't any swearing to be concerned about (I read this book several months ago); Riordan has, in the past, thrown in some oaths that were Latin or Greek, words that most of his English-speaking audience wouldn't know. I am still unconvinced that there is a book in these two sister series that is better crafted than "The Lightning Thief." Though Riordan hasn't lost the touch of originality that distinguishes this series, other factors contribute to making this book only among the second best: Percy is getting older and he can't just go on wild frolics with a bickering Annabeth and loyal Grover to humbly save the world; the seriousness of life and his destiny must be confronted. In fact, it is the seriousness that comes with maturity that takes away all the fun from the book. Along with Percy aging, so does the books ideas and themes, Nico's issues and the goddess of despair in particular, who graces the scene at the edges of Tartarus. Thus, young readers might not find this book attractive or engaging, unless they are one of those harrowing die-hard fans of Rick Riordan's work. I still adore Percy, but in the way a grandma adores her grandchildren; they just don't seem to grow up until you hug them and witness the truth of their height. Maybe I simply need to accept the new, older Percy. I certainly don't mind him being a little more wizened. But I miss the Riordan who could be all play. Now we've got Tartarus trauma and Nico drama to deal with.
Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2014

Great Book! Read it Before Your Child.

This was a great book! Until I got to the middle of the book. My brother was reading it and wasn't sure if the book was age appropriate. He asked my Mom and she said I could finish reading until that chapter. She said when I got to that chapter to ask her or my dad what it was about and they would explain it. I knew right away that Rick Riordan had introduced his first "gay" character. I was very mad, being mormon and not believing in that sort of thing. I thought it was a very great book, but if you are going to let your child read it, make sure he or she knows, or be prepared to talk about it with your child. Or you can even have your child skip that chapter. In the future, I would read the next series books before your child so that you can tell them which chapters they may or may not read. Other than that tiny detail, I would give this book four stars out of five. With one star being taken away because of that incident. Other than that, great book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLilyLynne December 1, 2014

SO GOOD, then terribly disappointing

I absolutely loved this book - it was so funny and never boring. I loved all the characters, and there were great messages in all the books up to this point, then i came to the Cupid part. When I read that Nico was gay, I was crushed. I almost cried. I absolutely LOVED this series, but I had to stop reading. Im so disappointed in Rick Riordan for putting such an unnecessary thing in that changed everything. I believe that God made the relationship between a man and a woman sacred and the world muddies those ideals. I do not condone homosexual relationships in any way, shape, or form. It's so terribly sad Rick riordan put something like this in a KIDS book.