All member reviews for The House of Hades: The Heroes of Olympus, Book 4

Another thrilling adventure, this time in the underworld.

Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2013

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! DRAMA QUEENS.

COME ON GUYS ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! YOU MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL OVER NICO. PARENTS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. Cupid forced Nico into telling him a secret Nico never wanted the secret out and doesn't have any feelings anymore. He had feelings in the first place because Percy was his hero. He didn't influence those feelings. You need to seriously stop being so ticked off with Nico. These books are disney for pete's sake! they aren't that horrible.They never cuss EVER. They have great learning value and great positive role models about love of friends. Harry Potter is very inappropriate compared these. Just read the books.
Parent Written bymygirlsmom9704 October 13, 2013

Disappointed in Rick Riordan!

I am very disappointed with this new book. My daughter who is now 16 has been reading this series since she was 12. She is an absolute fan!! BUT, the introduction of a gay character is very disappointing...and so unnecessary! I am not promoting hate, but I am standing up for morals. My daughter also feels very "Let down" by the author...Why does our society put such priority in being "Politically Correct?" When did the rights of those of us who still feel like it's good and right to teach our children right from wrong and who yes, believe in God's word and it's teachings become less important? My 16 year old has been faithfully reading these books out loud to her 9 year old sister. That will no longer be the case. My reason? Our children, it seems, are being bombarded at every turn by immorality; they are impressionable and it is unnecessary to have this subject matter in a book that the author clearly knows has a young fan base. It is irresponsible, to say the least.
Parent of an infant, 3, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bycougkay February 2, 2014

Talk to your child before they read

I highly advise that parents discuss their views on homosexual behavior before letting their kids read this book. I believe it is the parents responsibility to teach children. This book introduces a character as being gay. The comment that makes me question whether I will allow me children to read this book is when Jason Grace tells Nico that "you can't help who you are." This is personally not what I believe. I was disappointed in Rick Riordan for telling the story this way.
Parent Written byjoanne.marie August 21, 2014

Great Book!

This book was great! My ten year-old loved it! The book was greatly structured, and the characters felt real. The vocabulary used is more advanced than previous books in the series, so I think this book is for kids ten and up. One character confessed to being gay, and I thought that fit the plot very well. Considering the character faced rejection the entire series, I think being gay and from the 1940's might of contributed to it. A lot of parents are reacting negatively the character being gay, but seem to forget that gay people exist and they are human. Basing a books age rating based on your personal/religious is wrong. I think this book is great for 10-12 year olds, and that having a gay person in there was a great message.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byChristianMom94 October 24, 2013

Homosexuality in House of Hades

Wow! My son was loving this series, but I'm so disappointed with homosexuality presented as the norm and acceptable in this book. That is disturbing to me as the mom of a boy who is just beginning to learn about what sex should be as a gift from God for a married man and woman. I'm also disappointed that Common Sense only briefly mentioned it in their review. I think parents should know so they can make an informed decision.
Educator and Parent Written byStefannyJo May 30, 2014

Love this series!

My 10 year old daughter has read the Percy Jackson series, Heroes of Olympus, and Kane Chronicles. I have tried to keep up with her, but it is impossible! I have thought this series is slow and sluggish. I was surprised when I got to the ONE paragraph that mentions BRIEFLY a male character's feelings for another male character. I was surprised my child didn't bring it up. But she has friend's with same-sex parents and several gay relatives. I was glad it wasn't a big deal for her. I am more uncomfortable with the 16 year old heterosexual couples planning on growing old together and being jealous of friendships. I think this more inappropriate than someone stating they like another person! The talking about longing to kiss your boyfriend/girlfriend and hold them. Too much! The book is fun and teaches the lessons of valuing someone else's gifts, learning to believe in yourself, and team work. Thank you, Rick Riordan! BTW, all of you screaming about a gay character...yet you don't have a problem with all of the "half-blood" children running around out of wedlock discovering half-siblings? Hmmm.
Parent Written bymom4213 October 16, 2013

Disappointed

Disappointed that my 10 year old has read a book with a gay character in it. She has read all the other books by Rick Riordan and I have read some of them as well, didn't think I would have to worry about this in this series. Not sure if she will be reading the next book. It would have been nice to have some warning since this was never an issue before.
Kid, 12 years old November 21, 2013

Please grow up and read the book

First of all this book is awesome!!! all of you people who keep on saying that this book is not for kids need to grow up( and actually read the book),I mean there are kids who are 11 and are saying this book is for 9 year olds. Parents(mom 4213 especially) and other people if you think this book is not for kids just because there is a gay character you should look at some of the other things your kids are reading. Imagine if there is a kid who is actually gay and they read your review imagine how they would feel. You can have your own opinion keep it off the internet where it could seriously offend someone.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written bykarree75 December 7, 2013

Not an Approved Author Anymore

While there is not any actual sex, the gay character may raise questions you may not wish your child has to ask from his favorite story. Bad call Riordan.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLovethebooks13 November 27, 2013

Calm down people...

Lots of parents are making a huge deal about Nico being a gay character. The book doesn't say anything like "its cool to be gay" or anything to try to persuade kids. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I would say that its good for children reading this book to realize that people have different interests. By the way, Nico had a crush on Percy when he WAS LIKE 10. He has changed. Get that through your head. Percy was like a hero to him. I had always wondered what was always saddening Nico, and I think Riordan surprised us all. Overall this was a very thrilling book. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in mythology of any kind and the past. Read this series. You won't regret it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAmbersAbrl October 17, 2013

**** ****** ****** *******

Nico is gay... I can't read anymore. I mean, I'm literally CRYING right now my love! <<3 This book is completely inappropriate for kids and I would not recommend any teens/adults to read this you will be disappointed! Don't say I didn't warn you!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKenzi333 October 21, 2013

Best one yet!

I think I forgot how easily Rick's books make me laugh out loud! This is the best book in the series so far; they just keep getting better and better. The characters really grow in this one (Leo even finds a girl, finally!! And she brings out a more mature and stronger side of him) and they come closer together through teamwork. There are some pretty bleak moments in Tartarus with Percy and Annabeth, but nothing to worry about. And, for those of you who are freaking out about Nico's homosexuality, Rick doesn't dwell on it (It's a Disney book for goodness sakes), honestly it's nothing to freak out about! It certainly doesn't affect the book's quality (for those of you giving it a low rating cuz of it). This was a great book and I can't wait till Blood of Olympus!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byPericondPercabeth January 22, 2014

H8ERS GONA H8 DONT LISTEN TO THEM

I FREAKING LOOVE RICK RIORDAN'S MYTHOLOGY BOOKS. Nico being gay just explains why he's been so hesitant with Percy (and he doesn't like Annabeth) Parents & kids that are hating are literally overreacting. Stop hating gay people-it's sickening. You are just setting an example to treat gay people differently. They are human just like anybody else. The book was phenomenal nd as 4 u ppl who discriminate against gay people and Nico Di Angelo,
Parent Written bythreein1 November 14, 2013

WAKE UP & BEWARE of subtle way of convincing minds

Too bad that some in our culture are trying to portray every lifestyle as "ok". I guess if you don't live by God's law, you have no accountability and nothing IS wrong. At the same time, right and wrong do exist, no matter how the devil has twisted it and made people to stand for truth to appear to be bigots. We ARE called to love everyone even if there is lifestyle disorientation, but those who reject God's law will have to answer to HIM. Not everything that "feels" good it right. The Bible warns that some will still deny God’s existence: “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God’” (Psalm 14:1). Now Abraham arose early in the morning and went to the place where he had stood before the Lord; and he looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the valley, and he saw, and behold, the smoke of the land ascended like the smoke of a FURNACE. Genesis 19:27
Teen, 15 years old Written byScreennameGirl October 30, 2013

An AMAZING Read

This is another absolutely amazing book by Rick Riordan! Percy and Annabeth have to survive inside a gigantic pit in the Underworld. There are monster battles, of course, but, nothing more than the usual for Rick's books. Also, be prepared for some sad moments. If you've read the last book you know that somebody has to stay behind in order to close the Doors of Death. Well, that's the sad part, as you might have guessed. As for the Nico thing, come on! Why fuss over it so much? It should be a person's choice of who they like and it certainly isn't a reason to rate this one star or 'Not For Kids.' Nico couldn't help his feelings because Percy was like a hero to him. I am straight, but that doesn't mean I should be rude about things like this.
Kid, 11 years old December 9, 2013

Bad book

I really don't like this book. They made nico gay and now i dont like the percy jackson series. Awful book. :(
Teen, 14 years old Written byRuby United October 17, 2013

Good, yet slightly dissapointing.

Very good, but slightly dissapointing compared to the other ones. Note that Nico admits he is gay and has a crush on Percy, and a few kisses between Percy and Annabeth. I'm surprised CSM didn't mention Nico's homosexuality.
Teen, 13 years old Written byExplodination April 28, 2014

Please, anti-homosexual parents, understand that hate will get you nowhere on this site...

While I know (and apologize) that this isn't a review of the actual book (I may write one of those later), I'd like to give these parents my everyone-is-equal-please-be-kind soapbox speech. It starts with the complaints I've been seeing about the homosexual reference in this book: In the House of Hades, Riordan has set up a minuscule section of the plot devoted to readers finding out that Nico is a homosexual character. In the actual context of the Percy Jackson series, the characters have had a ridiculous guessing game about who (at the time) 10-year-old Nico liked. Finally, they encounter the brutal Roman agent of love, Cupid, who forces Nico to *gasp* admit who he used to have a crush on. When it is revealed that it was Percy, the homosexuality is implied but is never again referenced. Frankly, if parents have a problem with a paragraph of homosexual allusion, and enough of one to label it Not For Kids, I'm not sure what they're doing on a friendly, accepting site like CSM. Just so you know, Rick Riordan published something explaining his motivation to create a character like this. Here's the link: http://www.rickriordan.com/about-rick/faq.aspx Just scroll down until you see the question (How did you decide on Nico's character development in the House of Hades?), then click on it to read the letter. I'd like close by begging parents not to be so hateful on this site. I'm sure that you love, and only want to do what you think is best for your kids, but don't be this extreme; I doubt your child even noticed the reference if they were young enough not to be aware of the issue. -Explodination Reviews with good grammar (Yes, written by someone under 18 :D)
Teen, 14 years old Written byDubstepdstride April 10, 2014

OK listen up This might not be a good review and this might not be helpful to you stupid homophobic out there. BEING GAY IS NOT A CRIME i have like seven or eight friends that are either bi straiget or lesbian heck i have more than just eiight friends so what if one charecter is gay. he didnt even say he was i could probebly rant about this for hours but im not. thats all i have to sya and as morgon Freeman says 'I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You are not scared; you are an asshole.'
Kid, 11 years old December 25, 2013

A different review

I have nothing against gay people, but people are just so shocked about Nico being gay. I think Rick just wanted it to turn out differently because everybody suspected Nico liked Annabeth. This book is just for enjoyment. I can't wait until The Blood of Olympus.