All member reviews for The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Spectacular cinematic book has lots of heart.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 10 year old Written bysummer6ft March 7, 2010

Great read together book.

I read this aloud to my 3 kids ages 5, 7 and 10. The older 2 are very well read so they followed it well and the 5 year old enjoyed it although I don't know that she 'got' all of it. The illustrations throughout are exquisite and it gave us a chance to talk about the importance of friends and family, asking for help when needed and other things. We all thoroughly enjoyed the book! We are a very conservative, Christian household and I don't remember anything as jumping out as too bad.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byBlueJade November 17, 2009

Imaginative graphic novel for tweens about early filmmaking

Brian Selznick received the 2008 Caldecott award for this book, a picturebook award that usually goes to little kids' books. Finally the ALA recognized that powerful images are in books for older children, too. The book looks thick, but more than half of the pages are full-page illustrations. We read this book together and enjoyed the intrigue of the story and how we wanted to keep turning the page to see what happens next. Some of the story is tragic and sad. Kids may need the context of the difficulties of the 1930s. They will also be curious about real automatons and Georges Melies. Selznick includes website links and books to get more info on both. The story is really about the history of early films in France, but also about magic and magicians, the Depression, horology, mechanics, trains, libraries, and orphans. Fascinating! An imaginative 8-year-old may like it. 10 - 14 years old will definitely like it.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 April 6, 2012

hugo

i hate reading this to my son
Written byAnonymous June 14, 2013

Really Good

This book was amazing. I love the way there are loads of pictures but the pictures tell the story. The drawings are also amazing and the book is beautiful.
Parent Written byHilarieA February 19, 2012

Great for kids and great for adults too!

I am reading Hugo to my two 6-year olds and 5 year old. They love it! We review each chapter to help them remember but this is the first chapter book I have read to them over a series of many nights and it is great. And, it is the first book that I enjoy as much as they do!
Adult Written byreader44 May 26, 2010

Great book for 3rd grade and up.

This book is very cool and original. It's great story about a real person who lived but it's one of those "wouldn't it be cool if this really happened" stories. it has suspense, mystery,action, and relatable characters. It's a fun read!
Kid, 12 years old April 20, 2014
LEARNING

Good

I read it in grade 3 with my class and I barely remember it. It was very puzzling but amazing journey. I think I will have to re-read this book. Pay very close attention to the photos. They really are worth a thousand words!!
Kid, 12 years old December 4, 2013

Must Read

This is an amazing book but there is a gritty, and depressing tone to it. There is a little bit of drinking if that is a problem. Mostily the reason I give it 8+ is because of the complex, and hard to follow story. Common Sense media says Hugo is not a positive role model but he is he does what he can to survive which you can't blame him for, and he still does his job with the clock tower.
Parent Written bym_and_d_in_fl December 13, 2011

AudioBook version is a "must-hear" for whole family

We checked out from the library the AudioBook of Hugo and listened to it as a family when on a roadtrip. It was enthralling. Since the pictures play such a part in the written book, Brian Selznick made sure that the AudioBook had sound effects to "explain" the drawings. My 5 & 7 yr olds were captivated and my husband and I didn't want to get out of the car at our destinations since that would mean turning off the story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwixter798 April 7, 2011

Veeeeerrryy Goooood Book!!

I loved this book!! I read it when I was 9 and it was an excellent book. Very captivating!!(:
Kid, 11 years old February 5, 2011

a great book for your avid readers at home.

it is perfect for your avid readers at home.
Parent Written byfulltimemom88 November 4, 2010
Teen, 14 years old Written byxXBlueMoonXx May 2, 2010
Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2015

DONT READ THIS BOOK

I honestly believe this book is horrendous and not appropriate for the age and audience it was selected for.it has drinking,violence,bad role models, and sends bad messages to kids. They should've thought about the people who were gonna read it I mean seriously THE MAIN CHARACTER IS 12 AND RUNS AWAY FROM THE POLICE do you want your kids to do that? Kids will get the wrong idea and believe old people are mean have you ever heard the saying respect your eldest well obviously Brian Selznick doesn't understand that. DONT READ THIS BOOK
Teen, 13 years old Written byBatman101 June 30, 2013

Amoozing

I loved this book. It was one of my favorites. The movie sucked. This book is great for younger kids because it may be long, but the pages are a small paragraph long each, and 60% of the book is pictures.
Kid, 12 years old April 14, 2013

Designed to feel like a movie... Success!

The Invention of Hugo Cabret has a very unique concept. The story is very original, the pictures are incredible (it won the Caldecott Medal, the first novel to do so), and it's not as long as you think it is. Nearly half of the book is full page pictures (it's designed to look like a movie after all), text-wise, it is about as long as a Diary of a Wimpy Kid book. If you want to see how amazing it is, read it and see for yourself!
Kid, 11 years old July 6, 2012

Very imagintive book, but not the best for young readers. (:

I have to say, this is one of my favorite books, but I don't really see anyone under nine or ten enjoying or really getting it. I read it when I was nine and liked it, and re-read it at ten and loved it, plus got the message behind it. •Positive Messages: I'm not really sure how to explain it, but this book has a really heavy message to me. •Violence: Peirl, Hugo gets his hand shut up in a door, a frightening dream sequense •Drinking, drugs, and smoking: Hugo's uncle is an acholic, period accurate smoking Overall, this is a great read, but wait until your kid is a bit older. (:
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 8, 2012

Love it!

Great for older kids. Amazing book!
Parent Written byshanerocks April 6, 2012

Great book!

I love this book. It's SOOO good.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystargirl132 March 27, 2012

love this book!

I loved this book! It may be a little too high of a reading level for younger kids if their parents don't read it to them. Despite the main character Hugo survives from stealing, I would still say he is a positive role model. He changes throughout the book to help his friend. He is A LITTLE self centered when he was trying to fix his machine, but it was a connection to his father.