All member reviews for The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Spectacular cinematic book has lots of heart.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 10 year old Written bysummer6ft March 7, 2010

Great read together book.

I read this aloud to my 3 kids ages 5, 7 and 10. The older 2 are very well read so they followed it well and the 5 year old enjoyed it although I don't know that she 'got' all of it. The illustrations throughout are exquisite and it gave us a chance to talk about the importance of friends and family, asking for help when needed and other things. We all thoroughly enjoyed the book! We are a very conservative, Christian household and I don't remember anything as jumping out as too bad.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byBlueJade November 17, 2009

Imaginative graphic novel for tweens about early filmmaking

Brian Selznick received the 2008 Caldecott award for this book, a picturebook award that usually goes to little kids' books. Finally the ALA recognized that powerful images are in books for older children, too. The book looks thick, but more than half of the pages are full-page illustrations. We read this book together and enjoyed the intrigue of the story and how we wanted to keep turning the page to see what happens next. Some of the story is tragic and sad. Kids may need the context of the difficulties of the 1930s. They will also be curious about real automatons and Georges Melies. Selznick includes website links and books to get more info on both. The story is really about the history of early films in France, but also about magic and magicians, the Depression, horology, mechanics, trains, libraries, and orphans. Fascinating! An imaginative 8-year-old may like it. 10 - 14 years old will definitely like it.
Parent Written byHilarieA February 19, 2012

Great for kids and great for adults too!

I am reading Hugo to my two 6-year olds and 5 year old. They love it! We review each chapter to help them remember but this is the first chapter book I have read to them over a series of many nights and it is great. And, it is the first book that I enjoy as much as they do!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwixter798 April 7, 2011

Veeeeerrryy Goooood Book!!

I loved this book!! I read it when I was 9 and it was an excellent book. Very captivating!!(:
Kid, 12 years old April 20, 2014

Good

I read it in grade 3 with my class and I barely remember it. It was very puzzling but amazing journey. I think I will have to re-read this book. Pay very close attention to the photos. They really are worth a thousand words!!
Parent Written bym_and_d_in_fl December 13, 2011

AudioBook version is a "must-hear" for whole family

We checked out from the library the AudioBook of Hugo and listened to it as a family when on a roadtrip. It was enthralling. Since the pictures play such a part in the written book, Brian Selznick made sure that the AudioBook had sound effects to "explain" the drawings. My 5 & 7 yr olds were captivated and my husband and I didn't want to get out of the car at our destinations since that would mean turning off the story.
Adult Written byreader44 May 26, 2010

Great book for 3rd grade and up.

This book is very cool and original. It's great story about a real person who lived but it's one of those "wouldn't it be cool if this really happened" stories. it has suspense, mystery,action, and relatable characters. It's a fun read!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymum2gandj April 21, 2011

A real page turner!

I got this book for my 7 year old son to read after reading reviews on this site. He is an advanced reader so I knew he could handle it. I decided to read a few pages to get a feel for what he was going to read then I didn't want to put it down! I didn't intend to read the whole book but I got wrapped up in the story. When he got home from school he sat down and read the whole thing. I am very picky about what I allow my son to read and I found nothing in this book objectionable.
Kid, 11 years old February 5, 2011

a great book for your avid readers at home.

it is perfect for your avid readers at home.
Kid, 9 years old June 24, 2010

good and small

Its a good small book
Teen, 14 years old Written byxXBlueMoonXx May 2, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written byBooklover13h September 29, 2016

Amazing book

This was very well written and well drawn i loved how the book was in both drawings and words, i had never read a book like that before. Also, the story and plot line was great. It was a little confusing to me(an very advanced reader) when i read in second grade. But over all, you should read it!
Kid, 12 years old December 4, 2013

Must Read

This is an amazing book but there is a gritty, and depressing tone to it. There is a little bit of drinking if that is a problem. Mostily the reason I give it 8+ is because of the complex, and hard to follow story. Common Sense media says Hugo is not a positive role model but he is he does what he can to survive which you can't blame him for, and he still does his job with the clock tower.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBatman101 June 30, 2013

Amoozing

I loved this book. It was one of my favorites. The movie sucked. This book is great for younger kids because it may be long, but the pages are a small paragraph long each, and 60% of the book is pictures.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 8, 2012

Love it!

Great for older kids. Amazing book!
Teen, 14 years old Written bystargirl132 March 27, 2012

love this book!

I loved this book! It may be a little too high of a reading level for younger kids if their parents don't read it to them. Despite the main character Hugo survives from stealing, I would still say he is a positive role model. He changes throughout the book to help his friend. He is A LITTLE self centered when he was trying to fix his machine, but it was a connection to his father.
Kid, 12 years old November 23, 2011

Good book for reluctant readers, that strong readers will also enjoy!

This book is fun and exciting as it follows Hugo on a trip down his memory lane, dredging up memories others would rather remain hidden. The Invention of Hugo Cabret deals with death of a loved one by taking a look at Hugo's feelings for his deceased father. Reluctant readers will find that a large portion of this story is told in pictures, dragging you into the story and making you want to read the portion that is text. The story is sweet and deals with making friends and old secrets. Some readers may find it interesting to look up some of Georges Méliès old films, as they play an extremely large part in the story. The art is detailed and intricate, portraying clearly the story, so strong readers will not feel that they have missed out on the story by most of it being told in art. Because a bit of the story deals with Hugo's father's death, his drunkard uncle, being an orphan in a Paris train station (in the early 1930's), younger readers may not enjoy or get as much out of this story as older readers will. Strong readers may find this quick despite its size, so it is a fun book to read multiple times.
Teen, 13 years old Written byExpert Reviewer October 29, 2011

Dont bother reading this book

It's not that good. For me, it is the most easy long book that I ever read. Great time waster..... wait, it didnt even take a day to read this, it took me 10 minutes.
Kid, 12 years old March 16, 2011

Want to try something new? Read this...

It was an ok book.It was different and unique and the auther used a very different style. I reccomend to people who like books that explain everything with pictures and want to try something new.