All member reviews for The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, Book 1)

Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2011

Awsome!

Please Be Warned, this book is not for the faint hearted. It is truely awsome though. It has loads of killing refrences, but its all like; Your to weak! You can't kill! Your not a man ect. It gets slightly tedious after a while. But there is lots of action, I love the characters, and the whole idea of noise, and new prentiss town, and spackle. Its so original, it just sucks you in. You just can't put it down.
Teen, 13 years old Written byannafan June 16, 2011

The Knife of Never Letting Go 14+

It's very violent, gory and describes the gore in detail, and uses language, but it uses 'effing' in place of the word, using the real word once. it may be a little to violent for some, and if you have a weak stomach, don't read it. I'm 13, and I read it, but it might be better for older kids
Teen, 15 years old Written byxXChaosWalker February 12, 2010

One of the best books out there, but not for the sensitive or faint of heart!

The Chaos Walking series is a gripping, gritty thrill ride of emotion that will make you laugh, make you cry, and make you experience emotion in the way almost no other book can. Patrick Ness takes a great idea and executes it flawlessly, creating a disturbing but highly believeable dystopia. Todd's narrative is endearing, intelligent, and strong as he struggles to realize what it takes to be a man in a world gone mad. Patrick Ness can take a character, make you hate him, make you fear him, and then toss you into a point of view where you can't help but love him. In the case of Davy Prentiss, the Mayor's son, Ness creates a character who is at once corrupted, innocent, lovesick, and hateful. His growing feelings for Todd appear to be more than simple brotherly affection, and you will feel every blush, stomach-drop, and tummy-butterfly that Davy feels as he struggles to decide where his loyalties lie. In conclusion, this series is dark, very dark, but it will take you on a ride that you'll never forget. Though it is definitely not for younger children, I can't help but think that it would be an excellent movie series as well. I eagerly anticipate the third book, and applaud Patrick Ness for creating a series in which I can find barely a flaw.
Teen, 13 years old Written byswagshyguy15 September 8, 2013

Awesome Book!

I read this book and I must say it was pretty violent. It is a clear bit more violent than The Hunger Games and brutal depictions of violence and blood and gore are quite often and usually described in explicit detail. There's one use of 'f---ing' but otherwise the language is really mild. But it was intense and really compelling and interesting! If you aren't faint-hearted, chances are you'll love this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynsvv April 30, 2011

An extraordinary read but only for those mature enough to cope with it.

The Knife of Never Letting Go is the first book in a truly incredible trilogy from Patrick Ness. The book is beautifully written, and keeps you engaged throughout with an engaging writing style and continuous dramatic and emotional twists in the story line. The book does contain some violence and bad language, and the general theme of the novel is too intense and difficult for younger readers to handle. However, it is a truly spectacular read for those mature enough to handle it.
Kid, 12 years old November 1, 2010

Best book ever
Teen, 14 years old Written byEllisWyatt August 14, 2010

Perfect Book!!!

I absolutely LOVE this book. I read it over a two day period; I couldn't put it down! It was gripping, mysterious, funny, and tragic. My brother read it and was completely unfazed. In fact, he isn't the biggest reader, but he loved this book and wants the sequel. Sure, it's pretty scary at times, but it would be a bummer if you didn't let your kid read this wonderful book.
Kid, 11 years old March 3, 2015

Interesting

I do understand that I've read this book not exactly at the right age, but it's a very good book with interesting characters I always look up to. It explores some sensitive topics like feminism and later in the series it goes on to war, genocide and other issues, and I do admit it is violent, but it teaches some important lessons and it's a good book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjujube14 May 28, 2014

Strange but exciting. :)

This is a really unique book (in a good way). Parents should know it does use some bad language (including the f-word once) and is quite violent. Usually I wouldn't be wanting to read a sequel to a book with such things, but it was really exciting and way worth reading! (And-spoiler alert- has an amazingly frustrating cliffhanger ending!)
Teen, 17 years old Written byGuiseppe February 2, 2014

Amazing

There is violence at some points in the book, but the characters are very admirable and great role models. There is great messages although violent. One chapter at the end has the popping of an eyeball, stabbing in the neck, blood everywhere, and the girl gets shot through her stomach and lives. VERY GOOD.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythe-divergent July 10, 2013

Good book, but only for those mature enough to handle it

The Knife of Never Letting go was good. I enjoyed everything from the sic-fi alien theme to the surprising plot twist at the end. There is a lot of swearing, Todd says "effing" a lot, though he never directly says what it stands for, but once he says "and I didn't say effing, I said what effing stands for". There is a lot of violence, so make sure your kid is mature enough to handle it. So I can't really say an exact age, because some 13 year olds may not be able to handle violence as well as others
Teen, 15 years old Written bySam55555 March 12, 2012

GREAT BOOK

I was kinda disappointed there was no romance , because i like those kinds of books like the hunger games. but this book was actually REALLLLLLY good. i mean i couldn't put it down. i was reading it for at least 5 hours straight at one point
Teen, 13 years old Written byShan:) January 27, 2012

Teen, 13 years old Written byoag721 June 25, 2011

Sickening, but for a reason

I'm going back and forth as to whether I should rate this iffy or on. I read this book just amonth before I turned 14 and I have to admit it made me quite sick at the end. It's very, very, very violent and bloody with very effective descriptions. If it was a movie it would be rated R or higher. But the point is that it's supposed to make you sick and realize how terrible this world is and why things sould never be this way. And I think it is quite effective in addressing that. Also, there is some swearing, but it's usually "Eff" (spelled that way), although one character does really say it once and there's also the s-word.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAthena Keene May 6, 2011

GREAT OPENER TO A GREAT SERIES (i think it's ok for 12+ though)

I read this when i was 12 and LOVED IT!!!! Like i say in some of my other reviews i belive 12+ can read this. I just beilve in the fact that each and every kid has a different maturity level. This book has great messages and strong charaters i look up to- even today. Stay true to yourself and you'll never know where life can take you.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPeaceFreaky April 5, 2011

great for older kids and book club kids in grades 7 and above

it makes you understand what is going on with the world
Teen, 13 years old Written bynoveleater October 24, 2010

You need the stumach for it!

Bloody is one good word to describe it. There is A LOT of gore, some made me gag! One scene a man's nose is completely ripped off, described with no holding back. This book IS most definitely just chaos walking. A girl is drugged, and a death is token. I cried. If you think you can swallow it, go for it. It is a pretty well written novel. The ending will have you rushing to the nearest bookshop to purchase the sequel. It is scary, and HEART- BREAKING!!!!! If you can cry, and ignore the word f*** used ONCE, by a character. "Eff" is used a lot! Characters drink wine, and the ending battle is BLOODY, worst than most of those vampire novels coming out now a days. The book is good, and if gore isn't too much to you, read the book!