All member reviews for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 1

Classic Narnia chronicle has Christian themes.

Teen, 13 years old Written byavidcritc April 9, 2008

transparent, but lovable

yeah, it's totally obvious that aslan is jesus. not subtle and all. but despite that (and i'm not even christian!) i still loved this book. my whole family got really into it one summer, so warning: get into it as much as you like, but no matter how good the author makes turkish delight sound, do yourself a favor and don't go out and try it. it is so, so gross.
Parent of a 11, 15, and 18 year old Written byJulieKryger1970 January 5, 2009
Teen, 13 years old Written byGunnarman February 12, 2010

One of the best books ever made. Dead Serious.

This book is simply amazing. I have read all of The Chronicles of Narnia, and this one is the best by far. C.S. Lewis is one of the best writers in all of history. This book is great fantasy and if you don't like fantasy at all, then you won't like this. It is pure fantasy and is a great storie for children. When I first heard the storie as a little kid, I was just stunned. Highly recommended.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byconcernedNAparent June 1, 2009

Another reason to question the ConnonSense reviewers

Great book and great reading. Great story that lets kids get absorbed into a fantasy world that is built around them in classic language and artistry that is CS Lewis. The CommonSense reviewer feels that he needs to tell parents that this is "Dated" and "Simple"? PLEASE! Why not warn parents about books that have vivid descriptions of violent acts against children, infanticide, and other inappropriate content for these ages? Many newer, "award winning" books that get raves are "current" and are trash and are no where near appropriate for the ages these reviewers say.
Teen, 15 years old Written byIllyrienne July 4, 2013

This is not book one. This is book TWO.

This is an amazing book, a must read for everyone. But I hope you all realize it's not actually book 1? The first book in the Chronicles of Narnia is The Magician's Nephew. Read that first. It makes The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe make a lot more sense.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bykcandkc January 27, 2011

Best book series

Kid, 11 years old December 5, 2011

AWESOME BOOK!!!!!!!!

this book is super great to all you haters out there. you should totally get and read the book. super great! too bad the author is dead. thanks :D :P
Adult Written bybonwilsky April 9, 2008

The first book in a series all kids should read

This is a good story that centers around the battle between good and evil. There is mild violence, but it is nothing more than an eight-year-old can handle!

C.S. Lewis is the best

C.S. Lewis is the best auther there is. he is dead ( i wish he wasnt ) but i think he would proud of this comment. he made all those books for a reason im sure. by what the books are about, i think he is one of the strongest cristian ( besides jesus ) that ever lived!
Adult Written bySunnyZim May 16, 2014

Don't go by the commonsensemedia review on this one!

I must respectfully disagree with the CommonSenseMedia's review of this book. Saying that CS Lewis' Narnia books do not stand the test of time as well as Tolkien is frankly ridiculous. Both of them write in an old-fashioned style which adds a certain charm, although Tolkien can be a bit long-winded at times. However, in my opinion, the Narnia books AND the LOTR are equally worthy of reading and have equally stood the test of time. They simply have different intended audiences: Narnia is more for children whilst LOTR is more for adults. As a child I adored the Narnia books and would frequently wish that I too could go to Narnia! The magical world, so beautifully written, came alive in my imagination and I was convinced that it was real and I just had to find the right wardrobe to get there! This series is a must read for children and adults alike, particularly those who love fantasy and can appreciate Lewis' gentle humour and charming style.
Parent Written byenergy star December 18, 2013

my name is lily

Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2011

Promise a great BOOK!

Try this BOOK! It is about four children (otherwise known as the children of eve and adam) falling into a wardrobe and coming out into a beautiful snowy forest. Help Peter, Lucy, Susan and Edward face dwarfs, centaurs, lions, witches, beavers, and much more exciting adventured filled things!

A MUST READ FOR ALL AGES

I love this book so much i have read it like 7 times. If your into fantasy you will love this book. even if you hate fantasy you will love this book
Teen, 14 years old Written byphantomphan April 9, 2008

Wonderful

A very good book, if slow paced at times.
Kid, 12 years old March 17, 2013

Chronicles Of Narnia, Book 1 My opinion

This is a wonderful novel and the movie is great. This is my favorite movie because it has a underlying message and that is that there is good and evil in this world.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bythe zoo May 20, 2010

loved it!

Kid, 12 years old May 12, 2010

I actually liked the book. At first I thought I was not going to like it.
Kid, 11 years old February 22, 2010

HORRIBLE

i thought it was a horrible book i hated it. i really didn't get it.

Teen, 14 years old Written bynintendo_freak_13 April 9, 2008

The start of great fantasy stories...

This is practically the origin of all great fantasy stories! There's a war near the end but it's not too descriptive... Mr. Beaver drinks... But the kids watch out for each other (although Edmund gets a little selfish sometimes). This is a wonderful book you should encourage all your kids 8+ to read!