All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Teen, 13 years old Written byskiergirl202 November 19, 2010

This book is really really good. The book is very detailed in some parts(not the best detail as in concerns). But over all it is a great book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byvegetarianwrath May 7, 2011

Not for Little Kids

I am 13, and I love this book. I have it on paperback, and I read it whenever I am bored. While I say it is a very entertaining book, it may be disturbing for little kids and even adults. I love it, but you should have a certain attitude when reading this book, like being on your best behavior.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylilspikerchick May 9, 2011

I loved this book & the movie! As i scroll through the other comments, I see that many of the kids didnt really like it because it had alot of bad language and etc. But some books you read are going to have bad things in it. The book taught a lesson and kind of tied in with the author's own events she had while she was in college. It relates because YES she was raped by this guy in an alley that a girl was raped before and the girl died there. It tells you that you shouldnt always trust people even if they are your neighbors. MY teacher recommended this book to me and my mom went and bought it for me. She personally didnt have a problem with me reading it OR looking at the movie. I would recommend this book to teens because it does teach you an IMPORTANT lesson and its such a good book.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHoundLover May 22, 2011

Loved it!

10-11 is when you start to learn about sexual interactment. This book definetly has that! I am actually 10, and I read it... Loved it! I'm mature for my age, so I was aloud to read it... But other than that, I LOVED that book! It has a happy-sad mixed ending, and I cried. It showed that, to pass through life as a happy human, you have to let go of death. Anyways, loved it, cherished it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byiamjustinbieber... February 26, 2011

NO KIDS ALOWD

This book was sad, mysteriouse, suspenseful, gross, sickening, and great all at the same time. But jus to warn everyone due to languge and mature themes like sex, rape, and murder........ THIS BOOK IS ONLY FOR TEENS AND OLDER! NO KIDS ALOWD!
Teen, 13 years old Written byk1026am January 7, 2010

the lovely bones

LOVE IT!!!!! it was the best book ever!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLiliac v. July 9, 2014

Not for kids

I seen the movie at the age of 8. It was ok. But the book is for more mature for kids.And may sometimes a difficult for teens and more with kids. 13 or 14 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykvee123 January 21, 2013

Kids Just Dont Understand.

i am suprised that so many young kids are reading this book, i read this book when i was 15, and i thought it was a very uncomfortable topic to be talked about in such great detail. young kids that are reading this book probably didnt understand the whole rape seen, and thats why they think it was a good book.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 9, 2012

Love it!

I loved this book. I read it when I was 14 (it didn't really bother me, but it would be better for teens older than that). I really loved the little paragraph at the beginning of the book about the snow globe.
Teen, 14 years old Written byisolabella January 13, 2012

Appropriate for mature audiences, know yourself.q

Over all a really good book but people should know before they read it that the book would be a bit disturbing for kids under 12 or 13 depending on their maturity level. I read the book and though it was really well written but that eeven to me as a 13 year old it was creepy and made me think a lot about rape and murder as in the beginning.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTeenBookReviews May 14, 2011

Perfect for young adults.

I am 14 years old and I just finished this book. It's a great book even if it has really strong content.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2011

Good, but not Great

It was... interesting . I will admit, not terrible, but not fantastic. IT gets boring as u go and has a terrible ending in the book to me... but that's just an oppinion
Kid, 11 years old October 17, 2010

Great for sick people out of their mind! NOT for kids!

I saw the movie first and thought "WOW! I LOVED the movie! I think i will try reading the book." I read it. I was shocked when i finished. It was TOTALLY inapropriate. I still can not believe we have it in our school library! It grossed me out. I can not believe my older cuzin is reading it. She must be sick and out of her mind....NOT for kids! I regret reading this book.... I rated it a bad=1 star I would really rate it 0 stars. And, YES it WAS that bad!
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmilyB123 August 25, 2010

Iffy...

This book was extremely well written, but as Common Sense says, it is a very heavy read. Your child could get depressed by it and younger kids shouldn't be focused on things like this. However if you choose to buy this book, you will not waist your money. Iffy for teens 14 and up
Kid, 10 years old March 30, 2010

My friends like this book and I haven't read it so I think it may be good.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTuesdayEcho February 28, 2010

I havent read it yet but my friends like it
Teen, 14 years old Written bybobbeta30 January 22, 2010

Horrid

I never read this book, but my friends told me of it in great detail and now I am disturbed. That is a sick, SICK thing to write about. Just hearing about it will give me nightmares. I don't think ANYONE should read something like this, because they will be haunted by that fear and horror for the rest of their life.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytorrzimm May 6, 2015

The Lovely Bones

Alice Sebold touches on some sensitive topics such as brutal rape and dismemberment of a young 14 year old girl. This book doesn’t cover up the grief of losing a family member it shows that it takes a long time before you can begin to heal and that it can split a family apart. Teens that read this book need to have a serious attitude with this book as it's not happy at all if they joke around they are missing the whole point of the book. You should be 14 and older but even at 14 its iffy really it depends on you who is reading it. If you can have a mature read and not get sick at some parts then yoy should okay. Remeber that this book isn't about heros and villians and the hero wins. This it real life.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBook-Connoiseur September 17, 2013

Spectacular book, great storyline.

This book is a spectacularly well written and superbly done! Although the book revolves around gruesome killings, which may disturb some teenagers and possibly adults it is still explores many themes which may be necessary for personal growth such as family relationships, the story shows how the death of a 14-year-old girl can affect a family both physically and emotionally. Which gets the reader to understand the importance or trust, selflessness and compassion. I feel that this book may be open for discussion with certain teenagers who may not be ready in terms of maturity for this books contents, but may also teach them many other important aspects for life when they are ready for this kind of story. The story messages are rather vital and not just the plot itself. It also explores life and death in general and how they interact on an everyday basis without the living truly realising this. Which often gets the reader in-between to question death itself, what truly hapens when we die? This I feel is something that will remain a mystery amongst people, which is good as it gets one's creative side working. The story vividly describes Susie Salmons death which could be disturbing to the faint-hearted and the killings of the previous victims and there is some sexual encounters within the book but this should not discourage your teen from enjoying this brilliant and emotionally engaging novel. It is greatly satisfying and will be loved by both younger and older audiences. However parents may want to read the book before allowing your younger children to come into contact with it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAshlie Hitz August 14, 2012

Book Review on The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I thought that this book was just incredible! it was a mixture of suspense, violence, romance, action, and horror. But, i recommend this book to teen girls the age of 14+ because of some of the explicit things in this book, but beside that, this book was a very good read for every teen girl out there. i have watched the movie, and the book just out did it in everything, details, ect. EVERYTHING! I really have enjoyed it!