All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Violent, disturbing read meant for discussion with teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMachiney August 1, 2012

Beautiful

People are talking about this book like it is the devil. Honestly, do you expect that when your kids walk out the door they walk straight into a land of Disney and Candyland? No, the real world has flaws. It has problems like rape, drugs, adultery, and murder. And the only way to prepare your kids for these issues they will inevitably have to deal with at some time in their life is to open a discussion with them, and a great way to do that is through a book as intriguing and audience-catching as this one. This book has sex. It has drugs. But guess what? Students at YOUR child's middle school are doing drugs. I hate to break it to you, but it is happening. And while that's not okay, is reading a book that offhandedly mentions drugs twice going to make your kid drop the book and run to the nearest drug dealer? No. This book shows your kid that the world is a scary place, it honestly is, but when they look past all that there is beauty in the world, there is kindness. This book has amazing life lessons, is well-written, and teaches your kids about "stranger danger", so stop bashing on it like it is everything that is wrong with the world.
Kid, 12 years old March 2, 2012

OK for mature kids

I read this at 12. I didnt think it was innapropriate. The rape scene isn't that graphic. But the sex scene with Susie is a little bit. If you're teen is mature, they can read it. There is a lot of cursing. But its a good book.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykookykt19 February 22, 2012

Excellent, with some gruesome details

I really loved this book and suggest that only "mature" kids read this book. There are some pretty gruesome details in this book that may scare some readers. If you can get past the first chapter, you can deal with the rest of the book! Really great writing, Alice Sebold does a great job with vivid descriptions. There is violence and sex, but if you can look past those elements you can really get a sense of the message the author is trying to share with us!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter January 17, 2012

Surprisingly good read.

I found this to be a very good book, if not a little weird. The writing style is nice, and it was one of those books I just couldn't put down. That aside, there was quite a bit of sexual content, so much that even I was a bit weirded out. That, plus the rape of the main character. . . More than I needed to know. The violence wasn't a problem for me, but that's just. . . me. The message of moving on, even after the horror of murder, really made the book for me, and the writing style is fantastic. Still, coming from a Christian family, it kind of clashed with my views in places. I'm laid back enough though to think that, in the long-run, it was a good read. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byisolabella January 13, 2012

Appropriate for mature audiences, know yourself.q

Over all a really good book but people should know before they read it that the book would be a bit disturbing for kids under 12 or 13 depending on their maturity level. I read the book and though it was really well written but that eeven to me as a 13 year old it was creepy and made me think a lot about rape and murder as in the beginning.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTeen101 January 8, 2012

The Lovely Bones

Honestly it was a great book. You have to be mature too read it. I am a freshman in highschool and we read it in my english 1 class. I was a GREAT dicussion piece, its going through the story of the struggle of life and death. The Sex scenes are graphic but i wouldnt say that they are innappropiate, they are appropiate for the correct age. GREAT book. As many of you DONT know. the author of this book was raped in college. This can be her way of coping with it. If you knew her story then you would know why there is SEX and DRUGS in the book. For people to downgrade the book because of the sexual figures in it is wrong in my opionion she wrote a great book, and for those people who say the book is innappropiate, you knew that there was sex and murder in it so why pick it up in the first place?.
Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2011

Parents read the book first then let your children read

I am 12 and i love this book, there is not really age promblems just depends on the childs maturity. Sorry i know im misspelling. I think depending on maturity 9 and up but remember content is also a promblem. Parents i recommend reading the book first then letting your child read it. BUT if your child is sensative to subjects or doesnt even know what rape is then tell them to wait on the book or they can google the defination. This isnt just for teens anyone can read it but you have to understand it to really enjoy it, some teens are just to childish to even handle the book.
Parent Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Must-Read Book for Ages 13 & Up

I disagree with the rating Common Sense Media gives the book of it being appropriate for only age 16 & up. Depending on maturity, this book could be appropriate for teenagers 13 & up. This book does discuss graphic situations such as sex, rape, and murder. However, I feel that any mature teenager is perfectly capable of handling these topics as they are discussed in the book. This is a very good book that teenagers and even adults will enjoy. It is a must-read for teenagers, and as a parent, I would personally suggest my own daughter reading this when she is old enough.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhazel119 September 28, 2011

Triumphant Novel for teens and young adults

Language- PG-13 language, 1 f-bomb. Violence- A violent rape in the beginning.
Teen, 15 years old Written byabbylyn May 11, 2011

My bestie is reading this book and she loves it. She is 12 and very mature. I think that if you are mature enough you are old enough.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytokidoki May 7, 2011

I may be a bit too young to read it but it was a wonderful book. It was a little depressing but the book was good. The ending did kind of ruin the book for me though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN May 4, 2011

Grim story makes you feel... honestly? A little depressed.

I can honestly say that I didn't like this book, not that that means I don't recommend it. Just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean someone else won't. Here, let me do this, if you like to read about: a raping/murdering pedophile, a girl telling you (from heaven itself!) that heaven is not as good as she thought it would be, an adulterous mother (you'll be surprised who the guy is!!), and a father who's written off as a lunatic even though he's completely right about his daughter's murder then go ahead and read this book. A fair warning to you, this book does not start out happy... it does not end happily either. I'm not at all putting down the writing technique or skill level of Ms. Sebold, but I just did not have that good feeling I usually get when reading while reading this book.
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2011

Love it!! This is a fantastic book, you should defienetly read it! I highly suggest this book.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2011

Good, but not Great

It was... interesting . I will admit, not terrible, but not fantastic. IT gets boring as u go and has a terrible ending in the book to me... but that's just an oppinion
Teen, 14 years old Written byjerryoish February 13, 2011

better for teens

It is a great and well imagined book. It made me sad but I felt like I'm that dead girl who is watching her family and her murderer from the heaven.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycrazy4bre February 10, 2011

i read this book when i was 11. Its alright but you have to be mature enough to handle some of the things that happens in it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAidylweiss January 22, 2011

Teen, 13 years old Written byemqueen December 20, 2010

This is a really great book. i read it and i am 13. i put iffy for 13 year olds because to read it you have to be mature enough to handle it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatlover12 December 4, 2010

I didn't like how the book portrayed teenagers.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypeachy900089 October 21, 2010