All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Violent, disturbing read meant for discussion with teens.

Parent of a 14, 14, 17, and 20 year old Written byMother of 4 Teens July 1, 2010

My 17 year old daughter Lexy, doesn't like to read. This is the first book she's read in two years, if that tells you this is good. But there are some things that scare me. I just don't want my kids turning into disturbed teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTuesdayEcho February 28, 2010

I havent read it yet but my friends like it
Teen, 14 years old Written bybobbeta30 January 22, 2010

Horrid

I never read this book, but my friends told me of it in great detail and now I am disturbed. That is a sick, SICK thing to write about. Just hearing about it will give me nightmares. I don't think ANYONE should read something like this, because they will be haunted by that fear and horror for the rest of their life.
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015

Teen, 17 years old Written bytorrzimm May 6, 2015

The Lovely Bones

Alice Sebold touches on some sensitive topics such as brutal rape and dismemberment of a young 14 year old girl. This book doesn’t cover up the grief of losing a family member it shows that it takes a long time before you can begin to heal and that it can split a family apart. Teens that read this book need to have a serious attitude with this book as it's not happy at all if they joke around they are missing the whole point of the book. You should be 14 and older but even at 14 its iffy really it depends on you who is reading it. If you can have a mature read and not get sick at some parts then yoy should okay. Remeber that this book isn't about heros and villians and the hero wins. This it real life.
Adult Written bySarahH 3 December 1, 2014

I read and enjoyed this book at the age of nine. Parents, no matter what age rating this book gets I think it all comes down to the child in question. If they are younger (9-10) perhaps read it through with them and explain issues covered in the book. Any older and I think they're fit to go.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBook-Connoiseur September 17, 2013

Spectacular book, great storyline.

This book is a spectacularly well written and superbly done! Although the book revolves around gruesome killings, which may disturb some teenagers and possibly adults it is still explores many themes which may be necessary for personal growth such as family relationships, the story shows how the death of a 14-year-old girl can affect a family both physically and emotionally. Which gets the reader to understand the importance or trust, selflessness and compassion. I feel that this book may be open for discussion with certain teenagers who may not be ready in terms of maturity for this books contents, but may also teach them many other important aspects for life when they are ready for this kind of story. The story messages are rather vital and not just the plot itself. It also explores life and death in general and how they interact on an everyday basis without the living truly realising this. Which often gets the reader in-between to question death itself, what truly hapens when we die? This I feel is something that will remain a mystery amongst people, which is good as it gets one's creative side working. The story vividly describes Susie Salmons death which could be disturbing to the faint-hearted and the killings of the previous victims and there is some sexual encounters within the book but this should not discourage your teen from enjoying this brilliant and emotionally engaging novel. It is greatly satisfying and will be loved by both younger and older audiences. However parents may want to read the book before allowing your younger children to come into contact with it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAshlie Hitz August 14, 2012

Book Review on The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I thought that this book was just incredible! it was a mixture of suspense, violence, romance, action, and horror. But, i recommend this book to teen girls the age of 14+ because of some of the explicit things in this book, but beside that, this book was a very good read for every teen girl out there. i have watched the movie, and the book just out did it in everything, details, ect. EVERYTHING! I really have enjoyed it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMachiney August 1, 2012

Beautiful

People are talking about this book like it is the devil. Honestly, do you expect that when your kids walk out the door they walk straight into a land of Disney and Candyland? No, the real world has flaws. It has problems like rape, drugs, adultery, and murder. And the only way to prepare your kids for these issues they will inevitably have to deal with at some time in their life is to open a discussion with them, and a great way to do that is through a book as intriguing and audience-catching as this one. This book has sex. It has drugs. But guess what? Students at YOUR child's middle school are doing drugs. I hate to break it to you, but it is happening. And while that's not okay, is reading a book that offhandedly mentions drugs twice going to make your kid drop the book and run to the nearest drug dealer? No. This book shows your kid that the world is a scary place, it honestly is, but when they look past all that there is beauty in the world, there is kindness. This book has amazing life lessons, is well-written, and teaches your kids about "stranger danger", so stop bashing on it like it is everything that is wrong with the world.
Kid, 12 years old March 2, 2012

OK for mature kids

I read this at 12. I didnt think it was innapropriate. The rape scene isn't that graphic. But the sex scene with Susie is a little bit. If you're teen is mature, they can read it. There is a lot of cursing. But its a good book.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykookykt19 February 22, 2012

Excellent, with some gruesome details

I really loved this book and suggest that only "mature" kids read this book. There are some pretty gruesome details in this book that may scare some readers. If you can get past the first chapter, you can deal with the rest of the book! Really great writing, Alice Sebold does a great job with vivid descriptions. There is violence and sex, but if you can look past those elements you can really get a sense of the message the author is trying to share with us!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter January 17, 2012

Surprisingly good read.

I found this to be a very good book, if not a little weird. The writing style is nice, and it was one of those books I just couldn't put down. That aside, there was quite a bit of sexual content, so much that even I was a bit weirded out. That, plus the rape of the main character. . . More than I needed to know. The violence wasn't a problem for me, but that's just. . . me. The message of moving on, even after the horror of murder, really made the book for me, and the writing style is fantastic. Still, coming from a Christian family, it kind of clashed with my views in places. I'm laid back enough though to think that, in the long-run, it was a good read. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byTeen101 January 8, 2012

The Lovely Bones

Honestly it was a great book. You have to be mature too read it. I am a freshman in highschool and we read it in my english 1 class. I was a GREAT dicussion piece, its going through the story of the struggle of life and death. The Sex scenes are graphic but i wouldnt say that they are innappropiate, they are appropiate for the correct age. GREAT book. As many of you DONT know. the author of this book was raped in college. This can be her way of coping with it. If you knew her story then you would know why there is SEX and DRUGS in the book. For people to downgrade the book because of the sexual figures in it is wrong in my opionion she wrote a great book, and for those people who say the book is innappropiate, you knew that there was sex and murder in it so why pick it up in the first place?.
Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2011

Parents read the book first then let your children read

I am 12 and i love this book, there is not really age promblems just depends on the childs maturity. Sorry i know im misspelling. I think depending on maturity 9 and up but remember content is also a promblem. Parents i recommend reading the book first then letting your child read it. BUT if your child is sensative to subjects or doesnt even know what rape is then tell them to wait on the book or they can google the defination. This isnt just for teens anyone can read it but you have to understand it to really enjoy it, some teens are just to childish to even handle the book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhazel119 September 28, 2011

Triumphant Novel for teens and young adults

Language- PG-13 language, 1 f-bomb. Violence- A violent rape in the beginning.
Teen, 15 years old Written byabbylyn May 11, 2011

My bestie is reading this book and she loves it. She is 12 and very mature. I think that if you are mature enough you are old enough.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytokidoki May 7, 2011

I may be a bit too young to read it but it was a wonderful book. It was a little depressing but the book was good. The ending did kind of ruin the book for me though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN May 4, 2011

Grim story makes you feel... honestly? A little depressed.

I can honestly say that I didn't like this book, not that that means I don't recommend it. Just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean someone else won't. Here, let me do this, if you like to read about: a raping/murdering pedophile, a girl telling you (from heaven itself!) that heaven is not as good as she thought it would be, an adulterous mother (you'll be surprised who the guy is!!), and a father who's written off as a lunatic even though he's completely right about his daughter's murder then go ahead and read this book. A fair warning to you, this book does not start out happy... it does not end happily either. I'm not at all putting down the writing technique or skill level of Ms. Sebold, but I just did not have that good feeling I usually get when reading while reading this book.
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2011

Love it!! This is a fantastic book, you should defienetly read it! I highly suggest this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjerryoish February 13, 2011

better for teens

It is a great and well imagined book. It made me sad but I felt like I'm that dead girl who is watching her family and her murderer from the heaven.