Violent, disturbing read meant for discussion with teens.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTeen101 January 8, 2012

The Lovely Bones

Honestly it was a great book. You have to be mature too read it. I am a freshman in highschool and we read it in my english 1 class. I was a GREAT dicussion piece, its going through the story of the struggle of life and death. The Sex scenes are graphic but i wouldnt say that they are innappropiate, they are appropiate for the correct age. GREAT book. As many of you DONT know. the author of this book was raped in college. This can be her way of coping with it. If you knew her story then you would know why there is SEX and DRUGS in the book. For people to downgrade the book because of the sexual figures in it is wrong in my opionion she wrote a great book, and for those people who say the book is innappropiate, you knew that there was sex and murder in it so why pick it up in the first place?.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhazel119 September 28, 2011

Triumphant Novel for teens and young adults

Language- PG-13 language, 1 f-bomb. Violence- A violent rape in the beginning.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytokidoki May 7, 2011
I may be a bit too young to read it but it was a wonderful book. It was a little depressing but the book was good. The ending did kind of ruin the book for me though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN May 4, 2011

Grim story makes you feel... honestly? A little depressed.

I can honestly say that I didn't like this book, not that that means I don't recommend it. Just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean someone else won't. Here, let me do this, if you like to read about: a raping/murdering pedophile, a girl telling you (from heaven itself!) that heaven is not as good as she thought it would be, an adulterous mother (you'll be surprised who the guy is!!), and a father who's written off as a lunatic even though he's completely right about his daughter's murder then go ahead and read this book. A fair warning to you, this book does not start out happy... it does not end happily either. I'm not at all putting down the writing technique or skill level of Ms. Sebold, but I just did not have that good feeling I usually get when reading while reading this book.
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2011
Love it!! This is a fantastic book, you should defienetly read it! I highly suggest this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjerryoish February 13, 2011

better for teens

It is a great and well imagined book. It made me sad but I felt like I'm that dead girl who is watching her family and her murderer from the heaven.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycrazy4bre February 10, 2011
i read this book when i was 11. Its alright but you have to be mature enough to handle some of the things that happens in it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAidylweiss January 22, 2011
Teen, 13 years old Written byemqueen December 20, 2010
This is a really great book. i read it and i am 13. i put iffy for 13 year olds because to read it you have to be mature enough to handle it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatlover12 December 4, 2010
I didn't like how the book portrayed teenagers.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypeachy900089 October 21, 2010
Teen, 14 years old Written by-insert usernam... October 18, 2010

Great for mature teens.

I completely disagree with the person below me; but I'll let them have an opinion, as I do. The amount of...graphic imagery in the book can be disturbing. The language isn't awful, but it still deserves a warning. Overall a good book in my opinion (I loved it) but the parents should generally be the the ones to decide if their children can read it.
Kid, 10 years old October 5, 2010
I LOVE THIS BOOK! My mom just bought it yesterday and im alreay on chapter 3.The movie kinda changed it....but i highly recemded it to 13+
Teen, 14 years old Written byPolkaDot123 September 28, 2010

Teenagers Will Love This Book

LOVEEEED IT ! This book is AMAZING , I ddn't want the story to end !!! I don't recommend it for tweens or anybody younger though, too sexual...but other than that i believe All Teenagers & Adults Should Read This Book !!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bycupcakereadin September 27, 2010

Bit iffy.

Really liked this book, some parts were a bit iffy, again i suggest parent read first. Much better than the movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpicy Mango September 12, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written byLOLZ17 September 6, 2010

Great Book, Not Appropriate for Kids

LOVE IT!!! :) book was very good, i think that for mature kids that are 12+ could read but otherwise I would say it is appropriate for teens 14+
Kid, 12 years old August 27, 2010
Ouch. Violent disturbing read is truly excellent. One of my favorite books.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynickiminaj5 July 22, 2010

I loved the book.very sad though.

I am reading this book and it is very sad.But it is still a very good book and i like it but very sad because the girl in the book was raped and murdered and cut into pieces by her murder.I think it would be ok for an eleven year old to read based on how mature you are.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bycaramelcherry77 July 10, 2010

This Book Is Heart Wrenching

I think it is a very good read. Gripping . Scary to imagine and very bold on the author's part to write something so personal. I could feel the author's own story as 'Suzie' told her story.