All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Violent, disturbing read meant for discussion with teens.

Kid, 10 years old March 30, 2010

My friends like this book and I haven't read it so I think it may be good.
Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2010

Doesn't seem appropriate for younger kids, but still sounds really good.

I've never actually read it, except for the part where Susie gets murdered, and it was soooo creepy! It sounds really good, though.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycupcakereadin September 27, 2010

Bit iffy.

Really liked this book, some parts were a bit iffy, again i suggest parent read first. Much better than the movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmilyB123 August 25, 2010

Iffy...

This book was extremely well written, but as Common Sense says, it is a very heavy read. Your child could get depressed by it and younger kids shouldn't be focused on things like this. However if you choose to buy this book, you will not waist your money. Iffy for teens 14 and up
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2010

Poor Susie

I really want to watch the movie, it makes me sad to think that what happened to susie salmone could be happening to any one in the world at the moment.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTuesdayEcho February 28, 2010

I havent read it yet but my friends like it
Teen, 14 years old Written bykobukgirl96 February 21, 2010

to discriptive of the murder

i only skimmed through the sample because all my friends read it it creeped me out and was to discriptive it is not about maturity to handle it but if you are comfortable to read it
Teen, 14 years old Written bybobbeta30 January 22, 2010

Horrid

I never read this book, but my friends told me of it in great detail and now I am disturbed. That is a sick, SICK thing to write about. Just hearing about it will give me nightmares. I don't think ANYONE should read something like this, because they will be haunted by that fear and horror for the rest of their life.
Adult Written bySarahH 3 December 1, 2014

I read and enjoyed this book at the age of nine. Parents, no matter what age rating this book gets I think it all comes down to the child in question. If they are younger (9-10) perhaps read it through with them and explain issues covered in the book. Any older and I think they're fit to go.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLiliac v. July 9, 2014

Not for kids

I seen the movie at the age of 8. It was ok. But the book is for more mature for kids.And may sometimes a difficult for teens and more with kids. 13 or 14 and up.
Adult Written bypenelopelenaerts April 4, 2014

teaches about family life

This book is a heart-wrenching story about a 14 year old girl, named Susie Salmon, who's veiw from heaven, after being violently raped and mudered, provides a look into a family's struggle for closure, peace, and justice. Susie's position is interesting, as she cannot fully communicate with her family but she yearns to comfort them. She looks upon her friends as well, as they grow and heal from the wound of her death. Alice Seabold's own experience with rape (as she reacls in her book "Lucky") helps create an expertly-wrtitten story. Seabold envelops you in their world;experiencing the families life as though it were a collection of touching moments, some good, some bad, observed through a window into their lives. From friends and lovers, laughing and crying, this moving story changes your entire perspective on how families are so heavily effected by death.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBook-Connoiseur September 17, 2013

Spectacular book, great storyline.

This book is a spectacularly well written and superbly done! Although the book revolves around gruesome killings, which may disturb some teenagers and possibly adults it is still explores many themes which may be necessary for personal growth such as family relationships, the story shows how the death of a 14-year-old girl can affect a family both physically and emotionally. Which gets the reader to understand the importance or trust, selflessness and compassion. I feel that this book may be open for discussion with certain teenagers who may not be ready in terms of maturity for this books contents, but may also teach them many other important aspects for life when they are ready for this kind of story. The story messages are rather vital and not just the plot itself. It also explores life and death in general and how they interact on an everyday basis without the living truly realising this. Which often gets the reader in-between to question death itself, what truly hapens when we die? This I feel is something that will remain a mystery amongst people, which is good as it gets one's creative side working. The story vividly describes Susie Salmons death which could be disturbing to the faint-hearted and the killings of the previous victims and there is some sexual encounters within the book but this should not discourage your teen from enjoying this brilliant and emotionally engaging novel. It is greatly satisfying and will be loved by both younger and older audiences. However parents may want to read the book before allowing your younger children to come into contact with it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykvee123 January 21, 2013

Kids Just Dont Understand.

i am suprised that so many young kids are reading this book, i read this book when i was 15, and i thought it was a very uncomfortable topic to be talked about in such great detail. young kids that are reading this book probably didnt understand the whole rape seen, and thats why they think it was a good book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMachiney August 1, 2012

Beautiful

People are talking about this book like it is the devil. Honestly, do you expect that when your kids walk out the door they walk straight into a land of Disney and Candyland? No, the real world has flaws. It has problems like rape, drugs, adultery, and murder. And the only way to prepare your kids for these issues they will inevitably have to deal with at some time in their life is to open a discussion with them, and a great way to do that is through a book as intriguing and audience-catching as this one. This book has sex. It has drugs. But guess what? Students at YOUR child's middle school are doing drugs. I hate to break it to you, but it is happening. And while that's not okay, is reading a book that offhandedly mentions drugs twice going to make your kid drop the book and run to the nearest drug dealer? No. This book shows your kid that the world is a scary place, it honestly is, but when they look past all that there is beauty in the world, there is kindness. This book has amazing life lessons, is well-written, and teaches your kids about "stranger danger", so stop bashing on it like it is everything that is wrong with the world.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatlover12 December 4, 2010

I didn't like how the book portrayed teenagers.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpicy Mango September 12, 2010

Kid, 10 years old January 23, 2010

Be Prepared - Be VERY Prepared

You might think that this book will be OK for adults (which, suitably, it is) but any age will be upset during the course of this and some will be horrified afterwatds the end of this book. It is intruiging and compelling and the best read EVER in my opinion, but I had to sleep near someone until I finished because I was in FEAR - the villian is creepy, and the book is violent, but the best part would be the overall positive message is death isn't the end - but a passage to more life. I know, it might sound corny, but it isn't. It may be upsetting, disturbing, graphic, cruel, violent and gruesome, but it is inspiring, happy (at the END!) and truly wonderful. Read it on a shiny day - a very, very shiny day.