All member reviews for The Magician's Elephant

Magical, inspirational story perfect for reading aloud.

Kid, 8 years old August 22, 2012

Believe the impossoble

Brilliant! No other childeren's novel writer has done this! A book, that explains a young boys adventure, and then it ends and countinues, with a jump ending (why need the dull info to make a great book to turn it bad) that still contains the story within it. Other books, the story ends right smack in the middle, and I'm like "Woah, could it just of stopped", but at the same time, "There's hardly any adventure!" So I reccomend this but there is some violence, and the smaller kids won't understand. But, thank you, Kate DiCamillo, for creating wonderful, brilliant stories!
Kid, 12 years old May 1, 2010

A Wonderful Story of Love and Forgiveness

This is the kind of book you read aloud to a five year old child, trying to read them a magical story that makes them dream, but in reality, your secretly loving every page of it yourself. In reality, you need a story like this. A magical story about love and forgiveness, and how no matter how far you've gone down the wrong road, you can always turn around. This was one of those books where you turn the last page, and sit there, in your room, smiling to yourself, doing nothing, just sitting there. You feel so warm and fuzzy inside. This is one of those books that just makes you happy. Absolutely brilliant, Kate DiCamillo. It's no Desperaux, of course, but this was still a wonderful read. If you've read the tale of Desperaux, you'll love this one as well. Buy it.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byTuesdayBear July 31, 2010

A little boring for my seven year old

The writing was awesome, but my seven year old daughter thought it was boring. We stopped reading it, although I plan to try again when she's a bit older. It seems like a very good story.
Kid, 9 years old October 30, 2009

great, but a little bit of blood

Well let's face it this books rocks!! But there are 1 or 2 mentions of Peter's father bleeding to death and like "The tale of Desperaux" and "Because of Winn-Dixie" (I could not help crying on that one) it can be kind of sad. But Again the book rocks!!
Adult Written byEezreviews October 21, 2009

A sweet tale that parents will love

For kids who love to dream or just ask "what if" this sweet tale about a boy searching for his lost sister who truly believes he will find her again. While there are both a fortuneteller and a magician in this story, the focus isn't so much on magic and psychic powers as it is on the power of love and change and people being willing to help others.
Kid, 10 years old October 13, 2009

Another good one by Kate DiCamillo!

I really liked this story! I think it is good for kids 8+. Sensitive readers might be upset at some points in the story, for, as in her other book (The Tale of Desperaux), there is some sadness. I think that SOME parents (the ones with empathetic children) might want to read this beforehand.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written bygabajoran September 26, 2009

This is a wonderful book. The story is not a totally happy one but in the end everyone in the book either gets what they most need or comes to terms with life as it is. A perfect book to read with children or to them. I'm amazed at how different all of DiCamillo's books are. My family and I have enjoyed them all.