All member reviews for The Mark of Athena: The Heroes of Olympus, Book 3

Teen, 15 years old Written bygilly_boy October 20, 2012

Leo's fate

I have this feeling that Leo is not going to make it back from Greece, I mean, someone has to stay back in Tarterus. Since Leo is technically the seventh wheel, he might stay back and close the doors. I'd be really depressed if he goes, for more reasons then one. Mm... I wonder if you die in Tarterus, do you stay in Tarterus or go to Elisyum?
Kid, 12 years old August 27, 2013

The Mark Of Athena IS AMAZING X'D

My favorite book ever!!! It helps kids learn a lot about Roman and Greek mythology. For instance I know like every god's name in Roman and in Greek form. It has the best characters ever. Percy (Selfless), Annabeth (Brave), Jason (Powerful), Piper (Kind), Frank (Sweet and Strong in his own special way), Leo (HILARIOUS), and Hazel (Small but Mighty). They all have their perks, and they all teach different lessons. The positive message is "There is a hero in every single one of us". There is lots of violence in this whole series so I would say 11+. There is romance between Piper and Jason, Percy and Annabeth, and a love triangle between Leo, Hazel, and Frank. Nothing goes further than a few kisses. There isn't much bad language "Oh my gods" is said, but that isn't really a problem. There is no drinking and smoking so all around this is an amazing book for kids as well as adults. HAPPY READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM October 12, 2012

Riordan does it again and scores an awesome installment, while upping the maturity (Sorry about the super long review!)

Well, well, well. What do I say? I guess I can start off telling the CSM readers who are idly reading reviews for the pure fun of it (which is always so much fun) and have never read a "Heroes of Olympus" novel what on earth is going on: Percy and Jason have united the camps. The two most powerful demigods in the mythological world of Rick Riordan, each kidnapped from one of the militaristic camps for demigods and sent to the other, reunite the feuding camps to prepare them for a great war against the giants... ...till Leo ruins it all. In other words, he starts firing on the Romans' beautiful city of New Rome and pretty much destroyed their awesome cafeteria. They weren't too happy about it so, after Jason and Percy, along with their ever-loyal comrades escape, they are left with the threat of invasion by the vengeful Romans against their beloved Camp Half-blood, and the looming deadline of the destruction of the original citadel of Rome. Epic? Totally. Fast-paced? Now that’s a dumb question. Rib-cracking humorous – like the Riordan we know and love? Ha, ha! Love the characters? Piper needs some quality time, but of course we do; who can resist the quirky, silly charms of Leo, anyone? Got to say this: Riordan, and somewhat surprisingly, gets it again, even after I thought he was starting to lose his touch with “The Serpent’s Shadow” back in May. Maybe it’s because Greco-Roman mythology is pretty different from Egyptian, or maybe its simply because no one takes Percy’s gilded, ruddy crown of most awesome protagonist written by Riordan ever. Sorry Carter Kane! So anyways, Riordan’s writing is still sharp: sparkling, specific word-choice helps weave a story of loyalty, bravery, and wits while staying cool under the pressure of an apocalyptic deadline, as usual with Riordan, and sarcasm, puns, and inside jokes helps keep the reader laughing and becoming more attached to the slightly whimsical, deep characters – four of whom narrate the novel in intervals. The characters really pop in their own ways: Annabeth with her a little too-good-to-be-true brains, Frank with his reserved nature and awesome shape-shifting abilities, Jason with his steady and leading persona (though altogether he is overshadowed by Percy), Hazel with her supportive attitude, Piper with her calm attitude and… not much else, Leo with his comical, not to mention big, personality which keeps all the others from going insane, and, of course, Percy being Percy – sarcastic and loyal, with his quick wits about him. The plot is always quick-paced, though sometimes you feel that this isn’t supported by the disappointedly juvenile dialogue that takes place amongst the characters. It’s disappointing that the dialogue and some plot points can’t take on a deeper build and tone; I love the humor, but sometimes it gets the plot development off-track. And Narcissus! HA! HA! HA! Loved how Riordan incorporated this infamous myth into the story! In fact, it was so understandable and incredibly hilarious that I found myself thinking fondly of Riordan’s first novel, “The Lightening Thief,” which was his best. It was almost like he succeeded at making the standard once again just by weaving the myth into this installment. Totally, rib-cracking, “Percy Jackson”-approved hilariousness! I do have to agree with countless other, Riordan-crazed readers: seven’s a crowd. Giving adequate time and love to all seven of the demigods on the quest, along with a few constant minor characters like the karate-chopping Couch Hedge, is a challenge Riordan more or less failed to overcome. Also, there’s a barrier that Riordan can’t cross because of the young audience of readers that he likes to appeal to, which is he can’t go sentimentally deep into his characters. There were countless instances where I wished Riordan could have gone deeper into his characters thoughts, maybe even sounding like Victor Hugo while he did it, even subtly inserting his own opinion into the matter. These moments usually occurred in big characterizing moments, like when two demigods see a vision of the other’s past or Percy and Annabeth talk about their future together. I wish Riordan would have taken his time with these moments, slowed the story down, just so we could get to know these characters more. I’m a teenager, so obviously I find the Jason/Piper and Percy/Annabeth relationships very interesting (oh, I forgot about the mild Frank/Hazel thing going on. It’s not very memorable though.) And on those moments, when Piper’s thinking about her and Jason or Percy worries about Annabeth while she goes on a climatic, solo quest, I wish Riordan would dare to venture just a little further, just enough so that we don’t think that their relationships aren't that shallow, and, if they are, expose them to be so. But then I remember all those ten-year old fans of his, saying “We don’t care about that! We want Greek myths and action!” so many ten-year olds saying that they probably drown my voice out easy: too bad. When it comes to the violent content in the novel, the level of it is mostly the same as it has been with all of Riordan’s novels. Countless monsters are killed with the help of Greco-Roman weaponry and a few Celestial bronze modern devices, but always crumbling into dust and sometimes making a comeback later in the novel after they reform in Tartarus. There is a little more blood in this book than in previous ones - mostly because of injuries which are quickly healed later – but no bloody, wrenching deaths. Not yet. As far as sexual content, it’s brought up a notch in this novel. Percy and Annabeth kiss frequently, mostly after a battle or one of them saves the other (and may I note that it gets a little annoying, especially when you know they still have a battle to win and should save the romance for a more peaceful time) but the kissing is never graphically described, besides for Annabeth describing Percy’s lips as salty. In a more notable scene, sneaking out after hours, Percy and Annabeth fall asleep together, cuddling, after talking about the quest and their life together after the war. No, nothing bad happened – don’t totally freak out parents - but I do have to agree, I think this book should be labeled at +11. Piper, who’s involved with the strong-and-silent Jason, constantly analyzes her relationship with him, and there’s a petty feud between Leo and Frank over Hazel. Alcohol content: nothing to be worried about, if I remember right. In the context of language, the characters shout out “gods” when in stressful situations, but very little besides that. I just wanted to remark to parents of readers who are preteens that you keep in mind that little “Percy and Annabeth falling asleep accidentally in the stables” scene. Some preteens may be a little too young to understand what their glimpsing: the sometimes foolish things teenage couples will do together, and the relationship that Percy and Annabeth are developing –the things they talk about in that scene are really interesting, especially when Percy brings up having a life together, married with children, after the war is over. I think this would be an interesting conversation to mull over with your teenager, pointing out the elements that make up a functional, loving relationship between a man and a woman. This is, overall, an exemplary novel that I recommend readily to fans of Riordan’s books. The maturity of the novel has gently been raised, thanks in part to the maturity of the characters and their relationships with one another as well as the direness of the situations they are often in, but is still suitable fun for Riordan’s usual audience of excitable, preteen fans. The plot still excites and ends with a traditional cliff-hanger, or in this book heart-wrenching abyss-hanger, and the characters are bookmarked in one’s memory as beloved, quirky, and totally human, though one of their parents are usually a neglectful god or goddess. I give you a big warning though: it’s impossible to put down. (Ah, those minutes-before-midnight reading marathons!)
Teen, 13 years old Written bysydneygreco August 25, 2013

BEST.BOOK.EVER

You have to read this!! It's one of my favorite books, and don't listen to that person that says "The book is soo not good," because they are soo wrong. This book is fun, adventurous, and definitely a cliffhanger. I loved it when all the demigods finally met and worked together! It was so cool to see how they worked together, and what they thought about each other.It gave me a different point of view about each person. And I find this book very educational because it told me all about the greek gods, so in class I was so proud that I knew what my social studies teacher was talking about! Anyway back to the book. Rick Riordan wrote this book so that kids just want to keep reading and reading and reading! Like all the the little adventures the demigods went through were adventurous and fun(for the readers) My favorite character in this book is definitely Piper, but I think she doesn't give enough credit to herself. Also she cares for people, which is really nice to see. But all the characters were great, and they all were pretty brave. But at the end! It was such a cliffhanger (spoiler alert:)! I just CAN'T wait for the next book to come out! Guys, PLEASE read this book!
Kid, 12 years old October 29, 2012

Phenomenal Read....Soul Crushing Cliff-Hanger

After secretly crying in my room wondering when Percy and Annabeth would finally reunite, this book filled a void in my heart....Yet its ending opened up a new one! For goodness sake the book was amazing and I loved (SPOILER!) Annabeth's encounter with Arachne and basically I just flat out loved her perspective chapters. When (SPOILER!) Percy and Annabeth fell into Tartarus, it felt like my heart was slowly being teared out of my chest, anyone agree? The only thing I felt lacked in this book was the "Percabeth" reunion. It was a little disappointing considering fans had waited 2 years for this, but I still loved the book! Cannot even express feelings about House of Hades yet...I just....Can't. Oh please Mr.Riordan, PLEASE let there be Percy and Annabeth perspective's in House of Hades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJeii15 October 28, 2012

Bravo, Rick Riordan!

Well. What can I say? It is very amazing! I am so happy that Annabeth and Percy are back together at last. Though I am not quite happy with the idea of Camp Jupiter attacking Camp Half Blood. I know CHB can handle itself after the Titan War. I hate the Leo-Frank hating each other because of Hazel. And I was relieved that Nico was saved though I'm disappointed that Thalia wasn't there in the reunion. I was actually waiting for the Thalia-Percy cousin fights like in the Titan's Curse. I love it. I have to wait for another year again for the House of Hades. The theme of the book is good. Everything about friendship, trust, loyalty, love, teamwork to finish the quest and defeat Gaea. Believing in theirselves, facing your greatest fears and rising to meet more extreme challenges and the danger of too much pride are also more important themes in the book. I am very, absolutely disappointed, shocked, sad about Percy and Annabeth falling to Tartarus. Curse you, Arachne! I know that they might be the greatest warriors or demigods of the generation but what can I say? It's Tartarus we're talking about for Hades' sake! I wish Nico can fulfill his promise to Percy. But then just I remembered, it's a PROMISE. I was thinking about the line of the Great Prophecy which is "An oath to keep with a final breath." So, I just wish it's not that promise. All I wanted to say is:BRAVO! It's a good work Rick Riordan and please don't let Annabeth or Percy die. That's all I can say for now.
Kid, 9 years old March 21, 2013

OKish book not as fun as percy jackson

This book is not as fun as it's own Percy Jackson. Lots of kissing and romance e.g:"Percy threw his arms around her.They kissed, and for a moment nothing else mattered.An asteroid could have hit the Earth and Annabeth wouldn't have cared.Percy smelled of ocean air. His lips were salty. Seriosly? His lips were salty. It totally ruins Percy Jackson. It used to be kids kicking bad guy butt in greek myths.Not 17 yr olds face-sucking! Sure it has some action but it starts to get boring in the parts in between. Read The Fire Thief instead.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRae-la February 4, 2013

THAT CLIFFHANGER!!!

Oh. My. Goodness. I was absolutely blown away by this book. It takes all the best parts of the first two books in the series and amplifies them to make a super-amazing adventure story with a bit of adorable romance on the side and LOTS of humor. Each of the Seven is given their own time to shine, and they're all unique, realistic, flawed characters. Plus, Riordan knows how to write a plot that will leave you speechless at every twist and turn, constantly wondering what happens next. The ONLY possible drawback I would give is that THERE IS A TERRIBLE, AWFUL CLIFFHANGER at the end of this book and if you don't have the patience to wait until October, I suggest you refrain from reading this book until then. Other than that, five stars, two thumbs up, go check it out.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 2, 2013

the mark of athena

Its a very good book with a variety of action scenes, and it also has good characters. Its very entertaining and makes me look forward to the next one.
Kid, 10 years old November 23, 2012

PERCY & JASON FOR LIFE!<3

I honestly love this book, I am in love with Percy Jackson & the Olympians and the Heroes of Olympus! Its a really good book with unexpected things thrown at every turn! Its for both girls and boys, I am reading it and Im a girl! I love it so much I highly recommend it! take it from a kid. Putting these myths and putting them in modern life is AMAZING! I love Percy,Annabeth,Jason,Piper,Leo,Hazel and Frank! you rock rick riordan!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBooks rule October 12, 2012

So amazing!

I couldn't put this book down. So fresh with new monsters and stories. The prophecy of seven is starting to unfold. Can't wait for the next one in the series. Love the humor, the action, the suspense and the sweet moments between the characters.
Teen, 13 years old Written byreadingeverything August 8, 2013

The best books come from Riordan

I LOVE Riordan's Percy Jackson books. I suggest reading the first series (Percy Jackson and the Olympians) before reading this one. I guarantee you'll fall in love with at least one character... ^.^ The characters are relatable and pretty realistic for a fictional character. Rick Riordan writes his books for kids and teens ages 10-16 and everyone loves it. My dad even read these books haha.. :) I learned a lot of greek mythology from the books. (SPOILER ALERT!!) When Percabeth fell into Tartarus I started CRYING. I love Annabeth's perspective because I'm a lot like her. It's almost like I'm seeing things for myself!
Kid, 9 years old June 14, 2013

cool book!

A really fun and exciting book although there are some gruesome stories based on Greek and Roman mythology and some kissing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byamazinggracy April 21, 2013

Perfect!

GREAT! Leaves the reader unable to resist reading on! A great continue on from the first series, with a bunch of great new characters. Teaches some great historical facts in the process.
Teen, 16 years old Written bynoveleater February 17, 2013

The Mark of Athena is another blast from Rick Riordan

I remember the insane excitement all of my peers and myself felt when it was announced Rick Riordan was going to return to the world of Percy Jackson with The Lost Hero. When it finally came out, everyone rushed through the book (Except me, I read it just over a year ago) and loved it. However, there was no Percy. Or Annabeth. And most of the other endearing characters we’ve learned to love from Riordan’s first five books were missing too. Finally, book two came out and it ended up being the return of Percy Jackson, although it was not a return worth remembering. It was a return Percy Jackson would have called a shame himself. When I finally read Son of Neptune, I was so sorely disappointed that all of my previous respect and excitement for future installments went so low I wasn’t even so sure I was going to actually read The Mark of Athena. Well, I did. And I am very pleased to say that The Mark of Athena triumphs magnificently over The Son of Neptune AND surpasses the awesomeness of The Lost Hero. REASONS WHY TMOA IS RIORDAN’S BEST BOOK YET: 1) Annabeth returns, hence the title. Here is a return I’ve been waiting forever for. Annabeth continues do be one of my favorite demigods alongside Leo, and to be able to be reintroduced to her incredible smarts and valiant personality is a treat in its own right. But the book only gets better. 2) Riordan is an awesome writer, being able to mix mythology, humor, action, and lovable characters all into one style of writing that will make you laugh, scream, and pull your hair out. Another thing that is equally wonderful about Riordan’s writing style is that he is writing a pretty ambiguous book. He’s taking stories that are already understood as literature, and rewriting it to connect with a modern setting, while also having to create original character concepts without sounding like an encyclopedia like Michael Scott (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) or Dan Brown. There is no flaw in his voice, and he succeeds. 3) There is never a slow moment in this third book, a huge improvement on The Son of Neptune. I’m pretty sure, if I remember correctly, the action begins on page 40 and never lets up until the final chapter. We are continuously treated to awesome battle sequences, like the one advertised on the beautiful cover, or the one that shows off how clever and smart Annabeth is. The book is never boring and we are never given time to breathe. Now, don’t get me wrong, this book is not violent. It’s still aimed for 10 years olds (however I’m pretty sure more 16 years old + are enjoying this series than ten years olds) and the book never seems overly violent; it’s just a very exciting installment. 4) So, although this book is showered with countless action sequences with imaginative villains, Riordan has beautiful character development. We learn to care for all of our believable characters and we hate it when one is damaged. 5) Cliffhangers!!! Ahhhhhh! I hate THEM!!!! THEY ARE SOOOO SERIOUSLY ANNOYING AND OBNOXIOUS AND UNNEEDED….!!!! But this one is so beautiful and wonderful and AHHH! You gotta love but hate that Riordan guy. The truth is out… Rick Riordan is a genius and one of the best male writers out there writing today. (for middle ground) The cliffhanger is clever and leaves us even more excited for book four. 6) The book is super fast paced. We are flipping through the book, and we collide into the end after 574 pages of nonstop action. It’s hard thing to have seven main characters, navigate through four different narrators, and keep the book fast and unputdownable. It’s really no easy feat, but Riordan does is awesomely. I hate being the person that always finds something wrong with every book I write, but the deed must be down, and it shall: THINGS I DIDN’T LIKE: 1) There are so many couples in this book it’s hard to keep track of who’s dating who. Seriously! It’s like sixth grade all over again. 2) Once again, it’s a hard thing to have seven characters who are rememberable, and while Riordan is able to succeed for most of the time he does fail with Frank, Piper, and Hazel. Hopefully Riordan will be able to accomplish it to it’s fullest with books four and five. That’s it. Only two things. FINAL VERDICT: The Mark of Athena is a fast paced third installment of The Heroes of Olympus and it proves to be fresh, funny, adorable, exciting, action packed, and filled to the brim with believable, lovable characters. Narrated by four different demigods, we are treated to four different view points of the same exciting journey you will be sad to see end. The Review can also be found on Goodreads from Sergei Franson's profile
Kid, 12 years old November 12, 2012

I love it!

Humor, romantic, adventure. For kids who are more mature (9-10)! I can't wait till the next one!
Teen, 13 years old Written byGinganinja October 23, 2012

This isn't just for 10 year olds.

Hold it! Hold it! I just need to say something to all the teens looking at the mark of Athena reviews and going "oh it says it's for 10 year olds so it'll be stupid." I think this book is one of the few APPROPRIATE and INTERESTING books out there. It is rare when a story is both of those things. Yes, a ten year old could pick up this book and read it. I get that. But in fact, the ones who read Rick Riordan's books and are extremely excited for the new ones to come out are usually older than 10. I read Rick's 1st PJ book when, yes, I was ten. But now I am so engrossed by the world Rick has created. I get so much more out of it now that I am older. My point is that all of the PJ and H of O books are good for all ages ranging from 10 and UP! Look at me. I'm thirteen and obsessed with them.
Kid, 10 years old October 13, 2012

Amazing Book!

Everything I hoped for. I'm a huge PJO fan and this is perfect! It's so sweet and just wow. You should read it! The romance isn't a huge deal, and you really need Leo to keep yourself from going crazy. SPOILER: The scene in the stables was my favorite part and when they fell into Tartaus. Some kids might get confused about Hazel and Nico but it'll eventually get explained. Hera said that Percy's loyalty would be the death of him... and I'm starting to think she was right.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybdd411 April 21, 2015

Superb!

In my opinion, the first is a good starter in the series, but the others are a lot better. Also, I think the second book is better than this because there is more action. I don't want to spoil anything, but the reason why I didn't give this five stars is because you have to read about half the book to get to the beginning of the climax. This is appropriate to any children under parent supervision or permission because it could scare little kids at the age of eight or under. I was a little late to read this, (In 6th grade) but it is amazing at the end. DEFINETLY READ THIS!
Kid, 11 years old November 16, 2014

The Literal Cliff-Hanger

So, in this book, everybody was reunited! It was a funny book with lots of events! And, as usual, Rick Riordan put in a cliff-hanger... A very depressing cliff-hanger.