All member reviews for The Meaning of Maggie

Girl comes to terms with dad's illness in relatable tale.

Adult Written bychademe94 June 12, 2014

Surprised CommonSenseMedia said this was ok for 9 yr olds.

I haven't actually read this book, but my daughter started it and pointed out a few things that made us decide it wasn't appropriate for her. It may not sound like much to some people, but for my very sheltered 10 yr. old daughter she didn't know what they were talking about when the 11 year old says her sister (who is boy crazy) and her boyfriend were on the couch sleeping together. The 11-year-old thought they were having sex on the couch, but they weren't. The 11 year old also mentions making cocktails and using the bad stuff. This isn't the stuff a normal 11 year old should be dealing with, and not something I want my daughter reading about.
Kid, 11 years old October 7, 2014

Oh my gosh, best book ever!

This is an amazing book for tweens. It mad me laugh and cry. It was an intense story though, in an emotional way, and one of Maggie's sisters is found on the couch sleeping with a boy. This book was so good but not for anyone under ten or eleven.
Educator and Parent Written byMrs A October 6, 2015

What Maggie Meant to Me

The Meaning of Maggie is a great novel. Full of heart, drama, and humor, this story is fictionalized memoir of an eleven year old girl struggling with middle school, being the middle child and helping her family in the middle of big changes because of the dad's illness. The author uses some really cool storytelling techniques like a non-linear plot and footnotes. In fact, because of the footnotes, I'd recommend reading this book on an e-reader if you can. It speeds up the process of checking the footnote, especially for kids. By far the most compelling reason to read this book is the character of Maggie. She's smart, funny, kind and loving. She LOVES to learn. As a kid growing up with a sick mom, I could totally relate to Maggie's fear of her father's illness. As far as inappropriate messages in the book, I'd definitely agree there were a few things that I might leave out if I was reading this book aloud to my class, which is why I said 12 and up. But if you read the book before your kids ---as all teacher do with read alouds, you can just stick a post-it note on the pages that have the references you don't want to include. Here's what they are: *Maggie's parents drink Rum and Cokes. Maggie's dad sometimes asks her to bring him a drink. Maggie refers to the rum as "bad stuff"----hey, I told you she's smart. *Maggie's dad's photo album has a picture of a "funny looking plant". No direct reference. *Maggie's parents have friends over. They smell funny in the morning. *Maggie's sister is found sleeping on the couch with her boyfriend. They are literally sleeping. No reference to sexual activity. However, there's lots of talk about making out. Ewwww. *Maggie's dad makes a joke about wanting medical marijuana to his doctor. Sure, there are a few references in the book that some kids won't understand. But as a whole, The Meaning of Maggie is by far my favorite of all the books nominated for the Maine Student Book Award this year. Maggie stole my heart----because she's ME. The little girl growing up in the late 80s who loved to learn, who loved to eat, who had a parent with a really scary illness----it reads like my own life story. I think The Meaning of Maggie will steal your heart---and be careful because she will also steal your Zebra Cakes.
Parent of a 1 and 8 year old Written byDyana B. November 17, 2016

Be Careful

This is a great book for older kids who you have already had a conversation about sex with. THIS IS NOT FOR YOUNGER STUDENTS WITH ADVANCED READING SKILLS. On pg. 30 there is direct discussion about sex, even spells the word out. The book is well written and really does a good job at presenting serious topics that could be great for parent-child discussion if your child is old enough. Please use discretion and perhaps read yourself first.