All member reviews for The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Heartless toy finds love in a cruel world.

Kid, 11 years old May 20, 2011

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! best book ever.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bysiemon April 28, 2011

Ms. Siemon's class review

Our class LOVED this book! Kate DiCamillo created a moving story with a good message for children. The story is about a selfish and egotistical rabbit who doesn't return love to others. Through the eyes of Edward and his many experiences, our class learned to appreciate and give love. The illustrations were creative and a good representation of the story. We would have given the book 10 stars if we were able! Our class is hoping to one day see Edward on the big screen!
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny November 7, 2011

A timeless classic...

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is by far one of my most favorite and cherished books. It follows the story of a china rabbit named Edward Tulane who embarks on a cruel journey from owner to owner, after he is thrown overboard while his owner (Abigail) and her parents are on a cruise. Edward is a doll, but he expresses his feelings and words through thoughts. I found this book really interesting and clever and a joy to read. In fact, I was so interested, I almost couldn't put it down, so I kept reading it and finished it before the day was done. The illustrations are also beautifully-drawn and add more to the story. I recommend this to any reader.
Kid, 10 years old June 7, 2013

It's Pretty Good

My Teacher Is Reading Aloud To Us The Miraculous Journey Of Edward Tulane. It's Pretty Good But The Whole Book Is Negative.The Main Character Gets Treated Horribly,A Person Dies,And There Is Some EXTREME Potty Humor.Like When The Dog Urinated On Edward And When Two Boys Are Yelling,''TAKE OFF HIS UNDERWEAR!!!!'',And Then The Boys Throw Edward Around Naked.The Book Is Basicly About Edward Is Loved By A Girl Named Abilene.Edward Is A China Doll,A Rabbit,Who Is Full Of Himself.For Abilenes 11th Birthday,They Go On A Cruise.Then,Two Boys Mess With Edward And He Accidently Goes Overboard.He Is Stuck At The Bottom Of The Sea When He Is Rescued By Two Fishermen.He Is Taken Back To Their House,And He Gets Thrown Away By A Mean Girl Named Lolly.Edward Is Now At The Dump,When He Gets Rescued By A Hobo Named Bull.Edward Lives With Bull For A Few Weeks, Then Bull Loses Edward.Edward Is Picked Up By An Old Lady,Who Uses Him As A Scarecrow.A Little Boy Named Bryce Takes Edward Down From The Stand And Gives Edward To His Sick Sister Sarah Ruth.Bryce Makes Edward Dance For Sarah Ruth,And Bryce Plays His Harmonica.Sarah Ruth Then Died.Bryce And His Father Get Into A Arguement About Who Schould Bury Sarah Ruth.To Get Away From His Pop,Bryce And Edward Go To Memphis.There,They Make Money By Edward Dancing And Bryce Playing The Harmonica.They Go To A Diner.When The Cook Finds Out That They Don't Have Enough Money To Pay For The Meal,The Cook Swings Edward Around And His Face Cracked.Bryce Takes Edward To A Man Named Lucius Clark .He Fixes Edward And Gets To Keep Him.That's What I've Read So Far.I'm Giving It Iffy For Eleven Because It Is Really Sad. Update:We Finished The Book Today,6/11/13.Abilene's Daughter Bought Edward From The Shop.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjennavet June 13, 2009

Fantastic, deep, meaningful book

I am a mother of two boys, 5 and 7. We read this book (a few chapters at a time) and it got to the point where we just couldn't stop until we finished it. The book is brilliant! It affects you emotionally as well as physically. Once when Edward is drowning and sinking to the bottom of the ocean, you actually feel as if you, yourself, can't breathe. This book teaches us a great lesson in values and love, for chilren and adults alike.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydani2112 November 18, 2008

Read it!

My title explains it all. I loved this book. You will too. Just read it.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 11 year old Written byJerbns6 November 2, 2014

One of my kids' all time favorite books. Love this author!

I was surprised at how much this book captured my sons' imaginations. I read it to them when they were in the 3rd grade. There is nothing objectionable in it, my only caution is that it does have a scene where a child is dying and passes away. This isn't played up in a gory way, it is just very sad. All in all, it is a wonderful book and a must read.
Kid, 10 years old November 28, 2010

A MASTERPIECE!!!!!!

love it it is exciting educational book that made me laugh,get me mad, and cry ALOT! i loved this book and there is no better way to describe it but a masterpiece!
Kid, 11 years old October 11, 2010

Great for anyone 8 and up!

This book is really great. It is moving, fun, and sends a great message.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMeow314159 May 31, 2010

Best book ever

Best book I have ever read in my life. I read it when I was about eight with my dad, when I finished the book I cried for about 7 hours because it was so happy. I loved this book so much.
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2010

I Fell In Love

Out of all of the books I've read, this was one of my favorites. This book is ranked up there in my book with pieces like The Lovely Bones and Pride and Prejudiced. Why? This was one of the few books that made me cry. I sat in my room for three hours, reading this book, crying my eyes out on every page. I fell in love with Edward, the porcelain bunny, Bryce, Ruth, and even the hobo who picked up Edward. This was such a wonderful book. This book makes you realize that even in a world filled to the brim with misery and sorrow and pain and cruelty, that you can always find love and happiness if you open yourself up. That's deep. Amazing children's book, this is. Buy it if you can. :)
Kid, 10 years old August 27, 2009

Simply amazing

One of the greatest books I have ever read. I love this book so much. Deserves 5 stars. I love the ending especially. Kate DiCamillo is such a great author!
Kid, 11 years old March 12, 2009

the miraculous journey of edward tulane

Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

One moment you'll be smiling ear to ear, the next you'll be crying a sea.

This is a must-read book for anyone who loves dramatic stories. This touching book discusses feelings from love and calmness, to sorrow and tearfulness. This is an unforgettable, wonderful book.
Kid, 8 years old January 15, 2016

Really Intense Book + Happy Ending = OK

Well, I'm a really sensitive kid and my teacher has been reading this book to us and there are parts that are really violent, like the part where the little girl dies and Edward cracks into pieces. But the happy ending was REALLY GOOD.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 17 year old Written byosubux1 April 29, 2015

Fantastic book. Maybe a potential classic?

Luckily, I saw where Common Sense had recommended this book, so I picked it up at our local library to read with my 8 yr old. Each day we carved out a little time to read it, and talk about things going on in it. The storytelling was doe so well, we felt as though we were a part of the story... in a way. The illustrations were a really nice touch to help visualize certain things going on. I see where some say this is good for 7-8 yr olds. My only concern is that there a a fair number of words that are well above the average reading or word knowledge level for a 7-8 yr old. Since I was reading it to my daughter, she would ask me what they meant. Words such as: jaunty, ennui, unsavory, derogatory, etc.
Educator Written byMarla55125@gmail.com November 3, 2014

Too sad for young readers

It's a great book, but not for children below 4th or 5th grade.
Teen, 13 years old Written byxsouthside77x September 5, 2009
I'm 11 years old and i was reading this book just for funn because in my class got introuble alot so we had silent snack and i read chapter by chapter and it waws a fantastic book i loved it, i read about 2 to 4 chapters in class and i read a total of 9 chapter in one day because it was a hands on book and i had detention thia was a great book with mostly positive language and messages
Teen, 14 years old Written byStefani June 11, 2009
Adult Written bynahodge April 9, 2008

Beautiful, Engaging, Lovely...made me cry!

I use this book as a read-aloud for the 5th graders in my classroom while we study characters. I cry every time I read it. Edward's "Journey" is both physical and emotional. The illustrations are gorgeous and really add to the story. The author's voice" in the book is extraordinary (which makes it a fun read-aloud). Older kids will enjoy it too.