Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Name of This Book Is Secret

Mild mystery tries too hard to be Lemony Snicket.

Parent Written bybrendap1 April 12, 2015

Expecting More

I was expecting a little more from what i read. What i read went in one ear and came out the other. Meaning that it was quite boring. It spent too much time on little things(like hair) that were not important rather than focusing on the actual story. It seemed to have a violent or rather dark meaning. For example there was a part where they talking about a dead burnt corpse that was burnt in a fire. They also looked through his remains. BLAA!

Parent of a 8 year old Written byLipstick6 May 10, 2011

I wouldn't recommend this for any age group.

Awful book. Besides being unoriginal and boring, starting on page 50, there is a blatant message encouraging children to lie to their parents, saying that its okay if you think your parents wont approve of what you are doing or where you are going. I read every book before my son does, and this one and any of the other ones written by this particular author is being banned in our household. I'm not an overly strict parent, but any author who sits there and has the audacity to expose my child to poor language, dishonest actions, and lifestyle choices that are contrary to our beliefs is not welcome in my house.

Adult Written byandersonba2 May 9, 2019

An Instant Classic

This book is great. It creates a light-hearted tone throughout the book that works very well with any part of the book. It keeps a sense of illusion throughout and foreshadows the events very well. The quality of this book is so great that the sequels will have a tough time surpassing this.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 9 year old Written byAmanda N. June 8, 2018

Really?

I just don’t get it....recommended age 9 ...nothing to be concerned about ...yet there’s a curse word. Really? That’s concerning to us.
Adult Written byBetty Nola August 15, 2015

Best series

It put you their and wow. I love it how he put you their 5 books wow

Adult Written byleailljoh December 26, 2014

The Bomb Diggedy

This is so awesome all of u reading this post should read the terrific book. it is the bomb.com/edu

Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byKaffeeKatz January 3, 2012

Pseudonymous Bosch series

Amusing for parents and kids, without being too dark. Still, there is a lot of talk of "escaping death," and one character almost comes to an end in a gruesome way. But the tone is kept light, somehow, and kids will love the mystery and code solving elements.

Adult Written bycasper the ghost November 24, 2011

the great book

this book is fantastic and it is great for kids that are funny and odd like me. this book is good for kids 10 and up. a magician who gets killed in a fire , kids whom lie to their parents.

Adult Written byDocJ June 21, 2011

Pause 9 is about right.

Near the beginning of the book, in the second chapter I think, there is a mention of a dead person, "the smell of decomposing flesh," and "corpses." I wasn't comfortable with my 8 year old dealing with imagery of rotting humans, so I returned the book. Your mileage may differ.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byJojano April 1, 2011

A great "suspenseful" book that isn't too scary

My son (10 yrs) just finished reading this whole series. I think he liked it better than Lemony Snicket which is so dark. I read the first few books of The Secret series just to make sure that it is appropriate. I thought it was fine for my 10 year old, not as dark at The Unfortunate Events Series.

The main female character does lie to her parents and sneak around a bit, but it's all "to save the world" which is exactly what she and her new friend are trying to do.

I would not recommend this book for kids younger than 9. My 8 year old daughter would not do well with the suspenseful content of this book. It is great however for my son that is ready for something a little scarier and suspenseful.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bysusancol August 28, 2009

Adventure and brain exercise

Just perfect for my 8 year old (advanced) reader!

Distressing family situation for kids