All member reviews for The Odyssey

Essential, epic poem of Greek gods, monsters, and heroes.

Teen, 13 years old Written byhappysted April 28, 2012

Great book!

As a smart teen, I love this book. It's one of my favorites. It's loads easier than the Iliad. (I read the Odyssey in four days compared to where it took me a month to read the Iliad) It's a great way to get into epic poetry. I would reccomend having some myth knowledge or having some sort of myth dictionary while reading it. (Try Mythica for a myth encyclopedia) I would say gifted kids could read it at 12. I read it at 13 for the first time. Reassure them that it's okay if they don't get everything the book has to offer. There was many details you'll miss. After reading it three times now, I still find new details every time!
Teen, 14 years old Written byrugbyrules April 29, 2012

Great for everyone that understands it

Awesome book. I only rate it 11 and up because people under 11 may not understand it. Great educational value.
Adult Written bybailey.lewis14 May 31, 2015

Kid, 12 years old December 7, 2014

Very good

This is an essential for everyone and you will most likely read it in school. There is some violence and implied sensuality. A lot of the old terms and language may be too hard for younger children to comprehend. Some of the parts might also be frightening (Scylla, ghosts, dead cattle mooing).