Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The One and Only Ivan

Heartwarming story of a heroic, artistic, captive gorilla.

Adult Written by25heatoemia May 13, 2019

READ IT!!!!!!!!!!

BEST BOOK ON EARTH!!! Parents are saying its a bad book BUT its NOTTT!! I loved this book i read it to my 6 yr old sister and she has been more kind and loving. There are parts that tells about all the animals pasts and some of its sad:( but they have so much funn, and my little sister has learned how to read so so much better because she read this book! My mom would have everyone read this book if she could! I LOVE THIS BOOK and so will you and your kids!!!!!!!! There are some parts that less than a 4 yr old would not understand but that doesnt change the FACT that it is an amazing book!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written by[email protected] July 1, 2015
Adult Written byKathryn G. April 29, 2019

Good Grief!

As a student teacher this was the read-aloud selected for my second grade class. Goodness gracious! It was SO violent in portions that I had to do some serious on-the-spot revising. Far, far too violent for kids. It also had some pretty clear references to alcohol, cigarettes, etc. I actually think the story was lovely, but I would recommend this for adults or mature teens only.

Adult Written byHenry R. March 12, 2019

horrible book

This book involved violence it involves cutting off hands. The age says it is for ages 8 + that is not okay.

Parent Written bygrandmareader December 10, 2018

Not Under Age 10

Very good book that highlights the feelings of animals trapped, locked up, caged, transported, etc. Reader must have a level of maturity to understand what Ivan and the other animals have gone through.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byNalvi54 November 6, 2018

This i sdelfintaly one of my favorites

I am not going to lie i have read this book at least 10 times to me it never gets boring it is a great book

Parent of a 6 year old Written byMomto4dogs October 5, 2018

Wish I read reviews

I wish I read the reviews before beginning to read this to my 6 year old. Now we are too far into it and he wants me to continue reading. I skip the violence or reword it as I go. I suggest parents read first to see if it is appropriate for their child.

Parent of an infant year old Written byMichele L. January 3, 2018

Chopping off heads and limbs of my family?

Killed my family....chopped off their heads and limbs. A gorilla hand ash tray in the gift shop? Who or what committee deemed this appropriate as a children’s book? Which age? As an adult I enjoyed the book but would be very concerned about a child reading it.
Adult Written byZayaan R. July 19, 2017

I loved it and so did my other family members!

This book might have a few inappropriate things inside like me-balls so I recommend you parents to let your kids read this book when their 8 or older.

Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written byEmily55555 November 22, 2015

Teaches empathy and respect for animals

Very sad story with a lot of love and a good ending.

Adult Written by1AngryDad January 7, 2015

~ I watched them kill my mother and chop off her hands

Seriously; my 9 year old opened it right up to that page... it was the only thing on that page, so it's not like it was hard to bump into or easy to read past. This book is not appropriate for children. CSM is way off on age appropriateness...

Adult Written bykateh November 13, 2014

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byBAJH May 24, 2013

Everyone should read this book!

Wonderful story that captures you from the beginning.

Parent of a 13 year old Written bythreelambs February 4, 2013

Beautiful language, wonderful read for all ages

This book was a wonderful read for myself (pushing 40) and my 10 year old, and could easily appeal to even younger readers and children who enjoy being read to. The language is very poetic and calming, and Ivan (the gorilla) shares many poignant thoughts that readers will absorb in different ways, depending on their maturity. There are strong feelings of loss at times, so that could be a concern for younger children-- but also great conversation-starters. I don't like politics and an author's personal ideology rammed down my throat...and I'm happy to say that although there is a slight introduction of "animal rights," it is an appropriate contribution to the overall story. There is also loose referencing to evolutionary beginnings. I've seen it suggested as a good read for animal lovers, but I would say it appealed mostly to my daughter because of the artists (a young girl and Ivan, himself.) It is a beautiful, beautiful story that I will remember.