Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Only Road

Harrowing, heartfelt tale of Central American teen refugees.

Based on 1 review
Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written bySascha D. February 25, 2017

Too dark and graphic for my kids now but a wonderful book for teens

This book was given to my children (age 9 and 10) as a gift. From reading the blurb I could tell the subject matter might be disturbing. I read it myself first and decided it is not appropriate for them to read now. It is much too upsetting and graphic for them at this age. It includes some really traumatic and violent events that happen to the main characters and their friends. The subject matter is serious, dark and disturbing in and of itself -- children needing to leave their family and their home because of the threat of death from local gangs, facing violence and risk of death at nearly every stage of their journey. My kids, who are very sensitive and empathic, would find this disturbing. For myself, I found the book beautifully written, moving and powerful. I will give it to them in a few years, when they are 13 or 14 or older and more able to handle the very difficult subject matter and graphic, disturbing events.

Educational Value
Adult Written byABookishMom November 28, 2018

Intense, but Hopeful

This book is gripping, suspenseful, and realistic. Having known a child who escaped to the U.S. from Central America, I think that it is a realistic and timely portrayal. This story needs to be told, and the thoughtful way in which the author does so, emphasizing the main character's resilience and hope, is appropriate for upper elementary/middle school aged children. I think it is important that adults discuss the book with their child as they read, as there will inevitably be questions and concerns that are raised by your child.

Educational Value