All member reviews for The Outsiders

Story of ostracized kid a timeless fave of teens, preteens.

Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2011

This is a great book! What are you guys talking about?

"Iffy" for age 13? Off for under that? You've got to be kidding me. Annoying Overprotective Parent (AOP): Isn't Ponyboy in a gang? I don't want my darling little -insert name here- reading that. Me: Yes, he's part of a gang, but it even says in the book that it's not an organized gang. The only fighting they do is self defense against the Socs, a group of vicious rich kids who jump Greasers for fun. AOP: So the Socs are bad, then? That's still setting a bad example! Me: They're villains; they're supposed to be bad. Isn't the big bad wolf a bad example, too? AOP: I heard that they smoke and drink a lot in the book. Me: This was written a long time ago. Everyone smoked. Adults even smoked with little babies in the room. And for drinking: Ponyboy says he tried some once, but when Darry (his older brother) found out, he got in big trouble. AOP: What about violence? And death? Me: Like I said before, violence is mostly self defense. And death? That's life. Get used to it. AOP: I'll think about it. So yeah, this is a really great book. If you parents out there prevent your child from reading this, I hope you know it's the worst mistake you'll ever make.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygabec12 March 28, 2011

Great

This was a phenomenal book hands down. "Nothing gold stays" was the theme. It gives you a great message but a sad ending.
Teen, 13 years old Written bychowchowpoodle May 14, 2011

I am 13 years old, and I loved this book. We read it at SCHOOL for my english class, and i swear, the only thing i had a problem with was the smoking. The message it gives out is really good and inspirational. I would totally recomend this book to any teenager.
Written byAnonymous September 3, 2010

A MUST read for ages 12 and up

Although Ponyboy does some things that parents may not approve of, he is a good kid. Just read the book. You'll be glad you did. I think rating it a 4 out of 5 for violence is ridiculous. The violence is no worse than Twilight. In fact Twilight's more violent. The violence is notable, but it won't scar your kid for life. They'll most likely just keep reading. Read this book! It's a very good read and has been my favorite for almost a year! I am so glad we read this in 7th grade :D
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bycheesecake125 February 28, 2011

Educational

This book teaches kids about prejudice and violence as Ponyboy Curtis overcomes so. It could get too violent and language wasn't too bad, but I trust the school in giving the book to its students.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDanny B June 14, 2010

Exelent Book From 60s

Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2011

The outsiders

I read this book and loved it! I started at 10:00 pm and did not put it down until i finished it at 1:00 am! It might be disturbing to other kids when Johnay killed that guy and the rumble and when *SPOILER* Dally got shot, but I enjoyed it. <3Nessie<3
Adult Written byAandKBBF01 April 9, 2008

Really interested in it!

I think this book was awesome!! It made me laugh at times and it also made me cry! My rating on this book would be a five star or maybe even a ten if I could give a higher rating! But I don't want to say much about the book just in case you haven't read it yet! READ IT, IT'S A GOOD BOOK!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLILPEACHY18 November 21, 2010

AMAZING!

i read this book when i was 12 for summer reading and i absolutely loved it... i didnt want to leave from the book. i love s.e. hinton she's a great author and i love all her books
Adult Written bySveagal April 12, 2010

Classroom Stape and Must Read for Young Teens

As a teacher I find this book a staple in my classroom. The message of people are generally the same though we come from different backgrounds is pointed and quiet powerful. Additionally, there is the pushing that as a kid/teenager you CAN do something about what you believe in and be more than a passive recipient of whatever comes your way can give hope to many struggling students. There is violence in the book which is why I recommend reading it out loud and discussing what is happening. Is violence the best answer in the situation? Is it going to do any good in this situation? Is the character forced into what happened? You can also examine the idea of redemption and doing the right thing as is the case with the character Johnny who decides to turn himself in to the police. There is also ample opportunity to look critically at family life and the struggles of loosing someone and how we deal with grief. Concepts about does revenge help in the end? can be talked about as well. Overall, I am a huge supporter of this story. There is so much that can be discussed and in a society that is having an increase in gangs and violence in youth, this is an opportunity to see and discuss the results of those choices that will be in the future of those teens who choose to go down that road.
Kid, 12 years old July 29, 2013

The Outsiders...

This is a great book for pre-teens/teens. Personally my favorite, it is a suspenseful and moving tale about two rival teen "gangs".
Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2012

Amazing

Best book I've read in school
Teen, 13 years old Written bypanda. February 28, 2012

The Outsider=Amazing

This book was an amazing book, it is added to my favorite books list! This book has a great sense of friendships. It obviously has drugs in it! This was during the 1950's, most people didn't know the effects of drinking and doing drugs at a young age. I think everyone should read it! This book was so sad :'( but it still gave out messages every teen could use.
Teen, 14 years old Written byi heart reading December 28, 2010

great book

This is a very exciting book and I loved reading it. The book is about two rival gangs the greasers and the Socs, and it is told in the point of veiw of a greaser named Ponyboy. The gangs fight each other and the book is very violent, but it is exspressed in the book by Ponyboy that fighting tears people apart, and that fighting doesnt solve anything but makes things worse.
Teen, 13 years old Written byspurpop November 24, 2010

This book is a classic. saying it's iffy for 15 year olds? give me a break. if you think your 15 year old doesn't know about fighting you need a reality check. this book is a classic! Im 13 and it's one of my favorites!
Teen, 13 years old Written byalways a reader April 27, 2010

i am reading this for my literature class and i am 12 i am only starting chapter three and have fallen in love with the book and the charachters two-bit ponyboy sodapop and johnny. I think i will definitly enjoy reading the rest of this book. A boy last year had to read this for the same class. He didn't get very good grades and didn't seem to care about his school work he doesn't really read books for fun, but he seemed to like this one. He read it in one day and i don't blame him!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydeadlinefan123 March 13, 2010

Good book

I read this and im about 14. i personally think its a little unrealistic because of the happy ending but all in all it was a good book. if you dont know if your kids schould read it, just read it a little my only concern would be the fact that they smoke and fight
Teen, 14 years old Written byBook Review U. April 9, 2008

Battle Against The Socs - A Review by Izzy

A boy named Ponyboy, and his two brothers, Sodapop and Derry, turn into hoodlums when their parents die in a car crash. They join a group of hoods: Johnny, 2-Bit, Steve and Dally. They are in a battle against the Socs, who are spoiled and very rich. The Socs always jump the hoods (Greasers) when they are alone. They all have parts to play: Dally is the tough guy, 2-Bit is known for his switchblade, Steve is known to mess around a lot, Sodapop comforts people, Johnny is the pet of the gang, and Ponyboy is the youngest at the age of fourteen. There are two other gangs of greasers. I really enjoyed this story because it is very graphic – there is a lot of violence and blood, and also it is very sad at points. It makes it so you cling to the book with excitement, and it also lets you understand it better because it has more detail. It also has a great plot and storyline. It is very well written and the author, S.E. Hinton, was only 16 when she started this great book. I think it would be great for eleven up, definitely NOT under ten, but if you are a teen and you’ve read any books like this, I strongly recommend this book for you.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymamacat531 February 18, 2014

Adult Written bymoviemaker201 September 9, 2013

The Outsiders

One of the best books I've ever picked up. The variety of characters and the fast pacing made me not want to put it down. Ponyboy is a fourteen-year-old in the 1950's. He's a greaser, and is constantly hunted by the rich Socs, who all share a loathing of the poor, rough greasers. But his buddies in his gang have his back. All is normal until he and his buddy Johnny are jumped by a gang of Socs and, in self defense, Johnny stabs a Soc to death. The events following this incident will test his bond with his fellow gang members as they flee the law and fight the Socs. Violence: 8/10 ----- Stabbings, burns, beatings, and more, this book is not for the faint of heart. Those with wild imaginations will definitely see a brutal, bloody, R-rated picture in their head. ----- Language: 7/10 ----- D*mn and H*ll are the worst written in the book, but strong expletives are alluded to, and if the reader knows all of the dirtiest words in the book, they'll imagine them in certain sentences though they are not written. An example: Two-Bit proceeded to gleefully call the Socs by every name and word he knew. ----- Sex: 4/10 ----- Some references and flirting. ----- Drugs: 7/10 ----- Teens drink and smoke constantly.