All member reviews for The Outsiders

Story of ostracized kid a timeless fave of teens, preteens.

Teen, 14 years old Written bygabec12 March 28, 2011

Great

This was a phenomenal book hands down. "Nothing gold stays" was the theme. It gives you a great message but a sad ending.
Teen, 13 years old Written bychowchowpoodle May 14, 2011
I am 13 years old, and I loved this book. We read it at SCHOOL for my english class, and i swear, the only thing i had a problem with was the smoking. The message it gives out is really good and inspirational. I would totally recomend this book to any teenager.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bycheesecake125 February 28, 2011

Educational

This book teaches kids about prejudice and violence as Ponyboy Curtis overcomes so. It could get too violent and language wasn't too bad, but I trust the school in giving the book to its students.
Adult Written byAandKBBF01 April 9, 2008

Really interested in it!

I think this book was awesome!! It made me laugh at times and it also made me cry! My rating on this book would be a five star or maybe even a ten if I could give a higher rating! But I don't want to say much about the book just in case you haven't read it yet! READ IT, IT'S A GOOD BOOK!
Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008

>D

Ah, my favorite book in the world. However, it's not for kids. Well, not little kids. I first read this when I was 13 (which was about seven years ago) and I fell in love. This book has lots of violence and adult themes, but it is superbly written. If you've got this book, don't let the little kiddies find it, but teens will love it. (Especially teenage girls! ^o^)
Adult Written bymoviemaker201 September 9, 2013

The Outsiders

One of the best books I've ever picked up. The variety of characters and the fast pacing made me not want to put it down. Ponyboy is a fourteen-year-old in the 1950's. He's a greaser, and is constantly hunted by the rich Socs, who all share a loathing of the poor, rough greasers. But his buddies in his gang have his back. All is normal until he and his buddy Johnny are jumped by a gang of Socs and, in self defense, Johnny stabs a Soc to death. The events following this incident will test his bond with his fellow gang members as they flee the law and fight the Socs. Violence: 8/10 ----- Stabbings, burns, beatings, and more, this book is not for the faint of heart. Those with wild imaginations will definitely see a brutal, bloody, R-rated picture in their head. ----- Language: 7/10 ----- D*mn and H*ll are the worst written in the book, but strong expletives are alluded to, and if the reader knows all of the dirtiest words in the book, they'll imagine them in certain sentences though they are not written. An example: Two-Bit proceeded to gleefully call the Socs by every name and word he knew. ----- Sex: 4/10 ----- Some references and flirting. ----- Drugs: 7/10 ----- Teens drink and smoke constantly.
Adult Written bykingxpride October 26, 2009

wowowow

i like this book beacuse i showas wut happens in life
Adult Written bySveagal April 12, 2010

Classroom Stape and Must Read for Young Teens

As a teacher I find this book a staple in my classroom. The message of people are generally the same though we come from different backgrounds is pointed and quiet powerful. Additionally, there is the pushing that as a kid/teenager you CAN do something about what you believe in and be more than a passive recipient of whatever comes your way can give hope to many struggling students. There is violence in the book which is why I recommend reading it out loud and discussing what is happening. Is violence the best answer in the situation? Is it going to do any good in this situation? Is the character forced into what happened? You can also examine the idea of redemption and doing the right thing as is the case with the character Johnny who decides to turn himself in to the police. There is also ample opportunity to look critically at family life and the struggles of loosing someone and how we deal with grief. Concepts about does revenge help in the end? can be talked about as well. Overall, I am a huge supporter of this story. There is so much that can be discussed and in a society that is having an increase in gangs and violence in youth, this is an opportunity to see and discuss the results of those choices that will be in the future of those teens who choose to go down that road.
Adult Written bySw12 January 23, 2015

Liked it!

I don't recommend it for 9-year-olds because it has some things that are not really safe to hear, but I do recommended for 11 and up (6th-12th). Overall, it was a great story. We had the ability in out minds to travel back in the 60's and imagine what it was like. Ponyboy, age 14, told us about his life. How he lived, what he thought of it, ect. It gives a picture in our mind, just think about. The character's looks and action all pops up into our minds. This is about I have to say for now, but you will see for yourself when you get a chance to read it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDanny B June 14, 2010

Excellent Book From 60s

Adult Written byFlamingoX April 9, 2008

Amazing Book

You literally cannot put this book down! You get sucked in, and attached to every character. The best authors get you attached to the characters, and The Outsiders sure got that down. You feel compassion towards these kids and wish you were there fighting with them. This book does have a few questionable material so I'd say 14+ as long as you read it in the right state of mind it's fine. The movie though is pretty horrible.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovielover728 June 4, 2015

one of the best books ever

Violence:4/5 a rumble happens, 2 GREASERS die, 1 by suicide. Ponboy's parents die in a car crash. Darry acidentally slaps ponyboy. A fire. One greaser kills someone in order to protect a freind. characters get jumped. One character nearly dies by a jumping. Blood. A character is abused at home. Knifes. One character is known for a life of crime Sex:1/5 One character is described movie star handsome and all the ladies love him. Flirting. A character is implied that she is pregnant. Language: Hell,Dammit. Stronger words are replaced by blanks. Drinking,drugs and smoking: characters smoke some drink
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byCaoimheMorana September 14, 2010

Must Read!!

Yes, the rumble scene is greatly decsribed and there is other mild violence throughout the book, but overall, it's a wonderful read. I still enjoy reading it myself and with two boy who hate reading, it's a hit. The story, though written in a different era, speaks to all generations in some way and kids of today can relate with the themes mentioned.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBook Review U. April 9, 2008

Battle Against The Socs - A Review by Izzy

A boy named Ponyboy, and his two brothers, Sodapop and Derry, turn into hoodlums when their parents die in a car crash. They join a group of hoods: Johnny, 2-Bit, Steve and Dally. They are in a battle against the Socs, who are spoiled and very rich. The Socs always jump the hoods (Greasers) when they are alone. They all have parts to play: Dally is the tough guy, 2-Bit is known for his switchblade, Steve is known to mess around a lot, Sodapop comforts people, Johnny is the pet of the gang, and Ponyboy is the youngest at the age of fourteen. There are two other gangs of greasers. I really enjoyed this story because it is very graphic – there is a lot of violence and blood, and also it is very sad at points. It makes it so you cling to the book with excitement, and it also lets you understand it better because it has more detail. It also has a great plot and storyline. It is very well written and the author, S.E. Hinton, was only 16 when she started this great book. I think it would be great for eleven up, definitely NOT under ten, but if you are a teen and you’ve read any books like this, I strongly recommend this book for you.
Kid, 12 years old July 29, 2013

The Outsiders...

This is a great book for pre-teens/teens. Personally my favorite, it is a suspenseful and moving tale about two rival teen "gangs".
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bycatcooperno January 23, 2012

Too much and still wonderful.

I read this book when I was 10 and couldn't put it down. I think I read it ten times in a row that summer. I can't say what drove me to obsess about it so much, but I did love it. Every one of the characters touched me, and it taught me a lot about the differences in social classes and what life would be like without parents. It was such a revelation when I used to try to dress as a greaser with my jean jacket, etc., and my mom told me I was really a Soc! Great learning moment in my life. My brother was reading it for school in 7th grade, so that's why I had my hands on it in 5th. I do think today we protect our kids a little more, so I would wait until my kids were 12 or so before introducing it to them.
Adult Written bySirenStar November 5, 2011

Terrific classic literature under-reviewed by Common Sense. A MUST READ!!

This is one of my favorite books of all time! It was required reading in 7th grade for me (and it most likely will be required reading for your children someday) and I immediately went and bought the book after finishing it at school; I still have that copy to this day. It's almost insulting that Common Sense deemed it "far from great literature". It is AMAZING classic literature that millions of teens and adults have enjoyed over and over again. You MUST read it if you haven't. You won't regret it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byalways a reader April 27, 2010
i am reading this for my literature class and i am 12 i am only starting chapter three and have fallen in love with the book and the charachters two-bit ponyboy sodapop and johnny. I think i will definitly enjoy reading the rest of this book. A boy last year had to read this for the same class. He didn't get very good grades and didn't seem to care about his school work he doesn't really read books for fun, but he seemed to like this one. He read it in one day and i don't blame him!
Adult Written byBIG BALLER 001 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written bypanda. February 28, 2012

The Outsider=Amazing

This book was an amazing book, it is added to my favorite books list! This book has a great sense of friendships. It obviously has drugs in it! This was during the 1950's, most people didn't know the effects of drinking and doing drugs at a young age. I think everyone should read it! This book was so sad :'( but it still gave out messages every teen could use.