All parent member reviews for The Outsiders

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion May 8, 2009

A Slow, but Sometimes Moving, Drama

THE OUTSIDERS was a mandatory part of my kids' English corriculum, so I read it too. I came away from the book glad I read it, which was not what I would have told you if you had asked me any earlier in the book. Indeed, the book is slow and average until the last 50 pages or so. But those last 50 pages are perfect: profoundly moving, engaging, and thought-provoking. So, with a bad beginning, middle, but one heck of an end, THE OUTISDERS is a decent book. There are some "d**mit"s and maybe one "h*ll". Sex is minor, with some mild inneundos and one brief reference to an unwed pregnancy. Violence is intense, though, with a lot of fights and some graphic depictions of injury. Some parts of the book can be emotionally draining.
Adult Written byfr0stedshad0w April 9, 2008

One of the greatest novels of all time.

The Outsiders is a gripping page-turner about the Greasers and the Socs. An amazing book about friendship.
Adult Written byYankeeAgKid April 9, 2008

A So-So Book

I remember reading this book my freshman year of HS. I thought some thigs were iffy, such as the characters smoking, no clear idea of parents/stepparents being present, etc. but overall appropriate for older Jr. High readers and up. One thing of warining, the youngest (I believe Jr. High/Freshman aged) had nightmares of his parents/stepparents crash.