All member reviews for The Outsiders

Teen, 14 years old Written byCopyNinja July 15, 2009

I Love It! It's A Really Good Book. At First A Was Like "This Book Sucks" But When I Got Into It. It Was Awesome!
Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2009

a little violent but really good

its a really good book. i cried when one of the characters died. theres alot of drinking and smoking and jumping(using knives for socs to harass greasers). there is also alot of blood. other than that its one of the best books ive ever read.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahkat321 June 7, 2009

I LOVE IT!

this is an amazing book. i'd say a semi-mature 11 yr old could handle it. i was 10 when i read it and my little brother was 11, and he's not mature or gifted.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymaddy940 June 6, 2009

SUCH A GOOD BOOK

the outsiders is a great read! i read it in sixth grade and i still remember it! unforgettable! Everything is always moving, you will find yourself reading late into the night! great page-turner.
Teen, 13 years old Written byguitarangel96 April 24, 2009

A Must Read!! I wish it had a sequal.

I am just finished it for school, and it is a incredible book. It keeps you interested at all times. It never gets boring! The characters are very well built and so unique. Good book for 13 and older. It is a little violent, cause it's about gangs and stuff, but over all a must read. I didn't want it to end. I loved the characters so much, I wanted it to have a sequal, for it to keep going. I can't wait to see the movie! S.E. Hinton is a great author, from what I have expierenced in this book. 100/10 stars!!! Read it, you won't regret it at all!!! Such a great book!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAmie09 March 17, 2009

Great book

We just finished this book in class and it's a lot better then I thought it would be. Its a story everyone should read!
Teen, 13 years old Written byrobpatxo3 February 3, 2009

SO GOOD

this was definitly the best book i have ever read for school. i cried and laughed. i completely recomend it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bytwinkletoez610 November 10, 2008

Favorite!

This is a great book! S.E. Hinton does adn amazing job portraying the life of Greasers in the book Outsiders. She is a very gifted author. I would definately recomend this book for high school students.
Teen, 14 years old Written byforgetregret93 April 9, 2008

Greatest book ever!

Teen, 13 years old Written byAleksandra April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written bytintin_in_arcata April 9, 2008

when I stepped outside of the movie theatre...

This book is in my top ten favorites. I think that everyone 12 and up should read it. However, it is quite violent, and children smoke and drink a LOT. It could be a bit iffy for some, but it also raises all sorts of issues. It makes you think about things like "Are the police always in the right when they shoot kids before even giving them a warning?" It also tells you more about what those kids are like. Exceptional.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBooks&Music22 April 9, 2008

A must read

One of the first things I saw when I came across The Outsiders page on this website I saw this sentence... "This is far from great literature..." and wondered "Where in the world did they get that from?". This has always been my favorite book and I don't understand how anyone could not see it that way. The story is engrossing and pulls you in magnetically to every single character. It is a brilliant portrayal of teen life in the "rough" side of town in the 1960's. For some unknown reason adults see that a book is about teenagers in trouble or in gangs and keep that mindset throughout the whole book. Instead of seeing the lessons learned and the moral battles fought they see the faults and mistakes of the characters. Instead of seeing the heroic deeds of a underestimated punk, they see the violence that the boy has been involved in. Nevertheless what some people may think this is a brillant and fulfilling book. I recommend it for anyone and everyone.
Teen, 17 years old Written byorlandos_querida April 9, 2008

Absolutely amazing story

THE OUTSIDERS was a compelling read, a gripping and moving story, and anyone who liked the book should see the movie, starring the amazingly hot 19-year-old Matt Dillon.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykv4 April 9, 2008

If you're 9 and up this book is for you!

This book describes the life of day to day life in a gang, violence and more. But it also depicts the life of the main character Ponyboy, a smart boy in a gang. Now that doesn't really make any sense, does it, but when you hear of his past, you see that his gang isn't so much as a gang but more as a family. It also describes the other boys in the gang. Johnny, an unwilling victim of beatings from his father, the gang helps him through and stops him leaving them several times, not mentioned in detail. Dally imprioned at the age of ten, he had never seen anything, but drugs and violence in his life. As the book progresses the background of these characters unfolds and explains why they have such a life. If they had just been taught, or something had not happened in their past, they might have been normal well kempt teens. This story also shows how it is to be poor and live on the east side of town, discriminated and jumped by the rich teens who live on the west. One day the bullying just gets to a life threatening position, so 16 year old Johnny just does what he has to, to save his friend's life, but in the end Johnny kills the rich, bullying, west side living, soc, a name used by the east side kids to seperate the east side from the west side, and the east side's are all called by the west side's greasers. Johnny and Ponyboy are on the run from the cops, Dally, the street smart guy gives them money, a plan, and a hide out in an old church. The story tumbles from there. One day the church was having a picnic and when Ponyboy and Johnny come back they realize that one of them was careless with their cigarettes, and the whole church was blazing. Their were several children still stuck inside, so Ponyboy and Johnny, did the only thing they could, think of, they ran into the church, they got all the children out, but Ponyboy and Johnny got a bad blow. Dally jumped in just in time to save Ponyboy, but the roof had caved in on Johnny burning and breaking his back. Johnny was slowly weakening in the hospital where they were taken, how could Ponyboy learn to survive the loss of a friend, maybe more if Dally learns that Johnny is dying. Johnny was the only thing Dally could ever learn to love, like a younger brother, Johnny was the only one who could get away with talking back to Dally. But when Dally learns the only thing he made room in his heart of ice to love, how will Dally get through? Read on.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008