All member reviews for The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Controversial coming-of-age classic with sex, drugs, abuse.

Teen, 16 years old Written byBrandonMark June 16, 2013

Great book

I read this book when I was eleven, and it's one the best books i have ever read.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySARRABLIDI May 23, 2013

breath-taking !

I think the true value of this book is that it shows teenagers it is okay to be an outsider and to struggle sometimes. don't mind the language or the sex side, trust me teenagers don't discover this through books. it's just an amazing writing !
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2012

One of the best books I'v read

you would think it was a typical high school story, but it's not. It's original because this story is told from a feshman, who would in most stories complain about how his life is a living hell in high school. but this story for once doesn't do that. for violence, charlie's sister gets hit by her boyfriend, but resumes to date him and his best friend commited suicide. there is a lot of talk about sex and only one or two mildy graphic scenes. main character does drugs and drinks even though he is underage. a lot of language, since it is high school. but it will defiently keep you reading
Teen, 15 years old Written by100annabella May 27, 2012

Amazing! Must-read!

It is an amazing book with a positive outlook on life not normally in books, with a interesting character who has real issues giving a raw reality to the book. It is amazing and everyone should read it, but due to some strong sexual content you should be aware off, anyone under 14 I think might be a little young, and 14 +15 year olds should be mature for their age to read it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byResidentEvilPotter January 7, 2012

Helps Teens Understand

Educational value. There aren't really any good role models, except for maybe Charlie's parents, but even then, they don't know about what's going on with Charlie. His friends introduce him to drugs. Good coming of age story, though. The author really got it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLemonParty March 2, 2015

Wonderful!

If a tween expresses interest, and you feel that they are mature enough, they should certainly be able to read it as well. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bykatherine.grace November 22, 2014

Some Things I Wish I Would've Known

The beginning of this novel is exciting, and it is almost guaranteed you will become hooked within the first chapter, but this book contains very strong material that might be inappropriate for kids 15 and under. Things in the book often include teens doing drugs, drinking, having sex, or thinking about having sex, masturbating, and language such as the f-word. Nobody had read the book before me and therefore I knew little to nothing about it while deciding to read it; however, if I had known this information, I never would have begun. This is why I don't want someone else to make the same mistake. Again, this book makes things such as underage drinking, teen sex, or doing drugs seem fun and appealing, which is why I would not suggest this book for people my age or younger.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshreyar November 21, 2014

Coming-of-age teen fiction

I read this book a month ago and recommend it to all teenagers. All my friends who have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower on my suggestion say it's 'one of the best book they've ever read'. It sure has some inappropriate stuff but as we all know, its the 21st century and sex, drugs, drinking aren't very unfamiliar subjects for teens above 13. My parents have read the book too and they totally encouraged my reading.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheRealist November 15, 2014

My Favorite Book

The best I have read to date. Really presents good morals on common teenage dilemmas and controversies. Takes a REALISTIC approach on drug use and sex as well. In addition, the main character deeply connects with the introspective individual. The movie is just a great.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPride and Prejudice November 10, 2014

Moving Story

I thought this was a wonderfully written and extremely moving book. It definitely contains some more mature stuff, but that is what gives it so much depth and what makes it such an emotional read.
Teen, 14 years old Written byemmahubbard October 29, 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The writing in this book is brilliant. It shows the struggles of high school, friendships, drugs, and just being a teenager. I didn't put this book down. Although its young adult, you learn so much from it. I highly recommend this book.
Adult Written byjustletthemwatchit October 20, 2014

The fact that this website exists is disheartening because reviews like these prevent kids from being exposed to art that discusses things that need to be heard. Without novels that talk about things that make us uncomfortable no one would have deep conversations that change the world. The fact that parents rely on censorship to raise their children is PATHETIC.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDil Howlter October 9, 2014

READ IT!

It is really easy to get into this book, and it's really hard to let it go.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJflores14 September 11, 2014

Wow! A breath of fresh air and an amazing book!!

This book is just amazing! Great plot, beautifully written, and character you can relate with(I'm just like Charlie). Anyone who is in high school will relate and love it. This book is only for the most mature and responsible teens due to disturbing and sexual material Content: Sex: 8/10- a character is raped(very graphic and is forced to give oral sex to a guy), gay couple kisses, reference to heterosexual and homosexual sex,oral sex, virginity, listening to a couple engaging in sex. Characters are said to have been sexual assaulted as a child Violence: child abuse, fighting, domestic abuse, etc. Language: some f bombs, hell, damn, piss, bastard, b*tch Drugs: people get high on drugs and the main character even goes to the hospital for drugs. At a secret Santa party kids give each other packets of marijuana PG-13: for mature and disturbing content, thematic material including images, explicit sexual content and references, strong language, and drug use- all involving teens
Teen, 14 years old Written byhushabyehayley September 5, 2014

The best book I can remember reading

This book is the book that, if I died tomorrow, I would have buried with me. It is meaningful, innocent, and yet open to the harsh world of high school. I loved it. I really did. Although it is never explicitly mentioned, it is obvious Charlie is autistic, and I found this an extremely interesting experience. Looking at the world through his eyes provides a slightly softened and very innocent veiwpoint, so shocking points (I won't spoil you) take a moment or two to sink in, and when they do, they hit hard. I use the warnings below as a warning- not because that I think there is too much of it. There are some rather explicit scenes, but they add to the whole rather shocking themes of the story, and give it a rounded off taste of honesty; Charlie would not have missed them out simply because he felt it would upset or unsettle the reader. I come from a family that is very open with 'awkward' subjects such as sex and drugs, so these themes did not make me feel too awkward- just unsettled, as the book was supposed to make you feel. I have already mentioned the character of Charlie, but the other characters are just as wonderful. Having recommended this book to a friend, we compared our impressions. We both found characters we could relate to (in my case, Charlie, in hers, Mary Elizabeth), and talking to other people who had read it, there was at least one character who stood out, who they related to in such a strong way. Sam is amazing, as is Patrick, and they each touch on different themes of high school life (Sam opens the door to Charlie's final revelation, and is his first crush. Patrick touches on subjects such as homophobia and sexuality, and all in all is a good friend and character) So, yeah, I love this book, as I expect you will too.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBookstho August 24, 2014

For An Experienced Reader

This is the book of all coming of age tales that stands out to me the most. I don't advise it for anyone under fourteen, as it is intense. However, the story is brilliant. Charlie, the awkward protagonist of this story begins as a bit of a mess. He's a nervous wreck in all honesty, but you grow to really love him, since that is such a realistic personality. Charlie befriends Sam and Patrick, the crazy, fun-loving step-brother/sister duo. They introduce him to the party life, and other teenage joints. I will just say, Charlie never becomes a party animal. He remains like Charlie throughout the entire thing. His point of view is unbiased, quiet, and observant. You could read his story over and over again and not get bored.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmmaMoorehead August 14, 2014

Good message, but mature themes.

I read this book when I was 13, I think you really need to know yourself, and know what you can handle. This book is very emotional, and has a lot of sexual content including rape. If you think you can handle it, read it! It's such an amazing book, and makes you feel infinite. :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byihaveatwin July 22, 2014

Brilliant ~ a must read!

Although the book has drinking/sex/smoking/drugs it is brilliantly written! Once i opened it, i wouldn't put it down - finished with a day. I would advise to anyone who enjoyed The Fault in Out Stars//John Green. Or Ketchup Clouds//Annabel Pitcher.. to read The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. (Also i also advise The Fault in Our Stars or Ketchup Clouds if you haven't read them.)
Teen, 14 years old Written byBaboon818 June 12, 2014

The perks of being a wallflower

Very very good book, but you need to be mature and be able to handle sex, nudity, drugs, language, and very detailed...things. I do believe you should read this but not until you are very much older!
Educator and Parent Written byPaigeAlizabeth May 12, 2014

Going into high school can be a scary experience for anyone, especially for a social outcast like Charlie. “Perks of Being a Wallflower” by Stephen Chbosky is the emotional story of Charlie's first year of high school. From new friends, drugs, suicide, and abuse this story is a revealing look into a teenage boys struggle to just fit in during his first year of high school. I highly recommend this book to those who are looking for a good read about relevant high school topics. Many of the themes that are prevalent in this book do make it more of a young adult novel and I would not suggest it for anyone under 15. There are multiple references to drugs, alcohol, abuse, and sex throughout the novel. Most of the conflicts that Charlie faces deal directly with these problems. The climax of the novel comes very late making the ending seem slightly rushed, but it was still a novel that I did not want to end. The writing style of this novel also really help to add to the realistic elements of this novel. The whole novel is letter written by Charlie to an unnamed recipient. Charlie’s thoughts are also very scattered while he is writing giving it a personal feel while also giving us an insight into Charlie’s character. In many instances he will be discussing one topic and quickly change to the next and get off track for the next three paragraphs and while this can becoming distracting at times it gives you a much better look and picture as to what Charlie is really like. Anyone who is facing difficulties in high school should definitely give this book a chance. It is a great resource of information on how to face those real life situations while still adding a bit of humor to the situation. And even if you are not facing struggles, you are just looking for a good, inspiring novel to read, I highly recommend “Perks of Being a Wallflower”.