Kid reviews for The Pigman

Teens grasp impact of their hurtfulness in emotional novel.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 13 years old Written byButlorkitty05 April 23, 2014

Not for twelve and under

I just read the pigman in 7th grade this year. I'm a teenager and this book is still very disturbing. Lorraine's mom is verbally abusive. Johns dad is alcoholic and encouraged john to drink. Many people die and there is a lot of drinking.

Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2017

Growing Up Summed Up in a Nutshell: A Must Read

The Pigman is by far one of my fave reads! My mum let me read it early last year, and I loved it. Although there is a lot of drinking and swearing, it is a book everyone needs to read. A note to parents: sex is mentioned. Lorraine's mother talks about a patient (she's a nurse) who is "itching for sex even though he's on his death bed". Only let your kids read if they know about sex.

Kid, 11 years old January 12, 2017
This book is an intriguing story and I could not stop reading it. It does have drinking and smoking done by the main characters and a ill man. But the fun and friendly pigman completely makes up for it.

Kid, 12 years old December 31, 2016

Blah

Too much swearing using our Lord's name. Boring, but the lack of Mr. Pignati's relationships is somewhat touching.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymackenzie.s October 30, 2018

The most realistic book i've read in a long time

I got recommended this book for my novel study by my good 8th ELA teacher, and so my two friends and I decided to read this banned book. It turned out to be so realistic, and I could relate to it so much. As a teenager, this book SpoKe to me, and I felt understood. The PLOT and STORY LINE was very intriguing and "down my alley". Yes, it does have drinking and smoking, but teenagers in the 1980's (??) did that a lot, and it's 2018, we are even worse. The book just showed how teenage life really is. Yes, teenagers drink and smoke. Yes, they have and go to parties. This book really brought me and my friends joy, especially Lorraine and John. This book even made me tear up and ALMOST cry. In my opinion, I do not think that a child or teenager would be influenced by this compelling story. I was so into this book that i finished it in 3 days, with 3 meetings to talk about the story. My friends and I really enjoyed it and I think ANY teenager would enjoy it too, in my opinion. Let me repeat, my ELA 8th grade teacher recommended me this book. If my ELA teacher thinks it was HORRIBLY written and SO NASTY then she wouldn't have. The story wasn't in 3rd person, it was in first person with Lorraine and John. Which I really liked because we got to hear their thoughts and what they thought about the same things. They acted like most teens, and I think that's what really "topped the cake". Mr Pignati was an awesome character and I really like how his story and the story was written. I loved the little things that they mentioned in the story, like Bobo, and how we never knew what they cussed because it was put in place with "[email protected]#$%^". and how Lorraine and John had such a "teenager" relationship. I loved the story and I think your kids and other students will love this. Yes, you are titled to your own opinion, but being plain out rude and professionally saying your own opinion is SUCH a big difference. Thank you Paul Zindel for writing this, and the second book. My friends and I will DEFINITELY be reading the second book! kind regards, Mackenzie S

Teen, 13 years old Written byschool.account13 October 30, 2018

Its a really good book!

Okay, The Pigman was recommended to me by my 8th grade ELA teacher for our Novel Study project. And, when I first started reading it, I was iffy about it. But, as I started reading more and more of it, I found myself to be EXCITED to read more and more chapters. Though, the book does mention the teens smoking and drinking quite a bit. But, throughout the story, one of the main characters, John, knows its bad. And, they did 1 party, and that was one of the MAJOR conflicts. Plus, do you expect this to be an "oh-so-friendly-nothing-realistic" book? I mean, this book talks about what teens ACTUALLY do. Not every teen, though. So, I dont get why everyone was so sensitive about. I mean, I get some think "What if this influences kids?!" "Its a bad influence for younger kids"-- but, i don't think is such a bad book. I mean, yes, it talks about smoking and drinking. But, it isn't trying to make it sound cool or nothing like that. It was just explaining a teens life. Plus, it adds more to the story. If they weren't throwing parties or having these troubles at home, then [SPOILER ALERT] It would just be a sad book about scamming kids and a old man who sadly passed away. And, I don't think that's very fun. Plus, I feel like most people say it has "no plot" because they simply don't like the book. I mean, If Paul Zindel was making this book and was about the publish it, It went through his editor, who HAS to read the book to make sure there's nothing wrong with it. And, if it had no plot, i'm sure he wouldn't let it be published AND i'm sure Mr.Zindel wouldn't make it far as an author. Lets not forget my ELA teacher LIKED and RECOMMEND this book. So, i believe that says a bit. -- going off track again, Mr.Zindel has written MANY books, and mostly all of them are made for middle schoolers (13-higher). (Sorry I was all over the place, there was just a lot I wanted to say and a lot going on.)

Teen, 14 years old Written byaumeekim21 January 11, 2019

The pigman

I just love this book. It really relates to modern day problems and also includes friendship. The story an amazing moral towards it.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybroadcoma September 11, 2018

Kid, 12 years old May 14, 2018

Great Book!

The Pigman is a truly captivating book with many deep concepts. It makes you think about the reality of life; however, there are some difficult passages. Some sensitive topics displayed in The Pigman are death, drugs, and alcohol. This book was great for me, but I am an advanced reader. I would highly recommend this book to you, but if you are very sensitive to any of the topics listed, maybe wait a few years.

Teen, 13 years old Written byreviewjunkie February 6, 2018

no plot, no morals, disappointing

This book was very lacking in many areas. There was no plot, and the teens drank and smoke like crazy. If you're a parent, this book won't send the best messages to your kids. Probably the worst book I've ever read.

Teen, 14 years old Written byangyacabell2017 April 12, 2017

good for midle school

this book is a shocker. startling and truthful and vivid.