All member reviews for The Pox Party: Octavian Nothing, Vol. 1

Slavery-themed award-winner is a challenging teen read.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahkat321 June 7, 2009

i read this when i was 10...

i read it when i was 10, but my mental age is at least 4 years older, so... but, yeah, definitely a teen book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjesuslovesthischick April 9, 2008

An astonishing read

I usually don't read teen lit because i find it too juvenile for my tastes, but this one was a good read. the 18th century style prose is done very well, and the story is intense all the way to the end. i can't wait to read the sequel. I don't think its too mature for teens, i think its written at a level that most 13+ year olds SHOULD be able to understand
Teen, 13 years old Written byDecalis April 9, 2008

Utterly Amazing... But like wading through frozen molasses.

Firstly, this is a purely amazing book. The writer must be a certifiable genius to coordinate the language, customs, and philosophy with the time period. It is a masterful work of art, but it is very, very, very difficult to read. I've always read several years beyond my grade level, and I found this difficult, and I think that it is definitely late high school level reading. I know a lot of people that would have found the language wholly opaque. Don't be discouraged though, because it presents a wide range of emotion, science, and psychology that's absolutely fascinating!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMrRoberts October 10, 2009

Deeper concepts from a challenging read.

This book demonstrates the extreme side of Enlightenment philosophy. The vocabulary used is excellent as is the style; the book is written in the style fitting the setting. The book is brutal, but brings up issues of science that are still relevant. The concept of slavery is also there for discussion. Another age appropriate discussion theme is the search for identity. Coupled with its sequel, the title character is on a quest for who he is, both in name and in action.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBucephalus92 March 11, 2009

Good, well written

I read it at fifteen, but a mature 13 year old could definitely handle it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

Hmmm...I'm still not really sure.

The language is not difficult. It is very well written, but I cannot see how most people would have problems. Honestly, it's appalling how poorly people can read. I do have to say that the commonsense people are right to say that kids may not be interested in it though. I still can't say if I like it, because it really suprised me. I'll probably have to read it again to have a definite opinion. It is great to see that there is writing talent for teens out there. Serious drivel has been published lately and I was beginning to lose hope that someone could write.
Educator Written bySuzieS February 17, 2011

Not for everyone, but it deserves an audience

The subject matter is disturbing and aimed at the serious, thoughtful reader.
Parent Written bycarlrosin May 28, 2011

Complex novel that challenges its readers in many ways

Challenges well-loved myths about America: slavery is an ugly, hypocritical truth during the push for "liberty"; economic/market concerns interfered with the nation's ethical considerations; the Enlightenment had an ugly irrational side; the Revolution was not quite so clean as "good guys beat bad guys" (e.g., England may have been more enlightened than the colonies about slavery); etc. I think this is a wonderful development, because it gets us to think critically about those glossy myths, but these much-needed epiphanies could be painful for a reader who believes that America is exceptional and exclusively good. This novel will also help build strong context/content knowledge, but could be a huge struggle for a reader who has a shaky grasp of history and/or geography, and especially one not familiar with the often-beautiful but syntactically dense and vocabulary-rich 18th century style, which Anderson uses to great effect.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySalvatore January 5, 2010

Great story, historical basis.

I was 14 when I read this (still am), and found it to be just right and actually with an interesting voice. The narrator is supposed to be neutral for the most part, so things that might sound awful under other voices don't sound too heart-panging. Trust me, as a teenage boy, I try to avoid a lot of "touchy-feely" stuff. The novel had some crude humorous aspects, but in 18th century text, they can be tricky to catch. So, this content isn't that bad, only the violence and [animal] abuse. For example, a conversation between boy and master: BOY: Why aren't you a father? MASTER: Because there are many uses for sheep's guts. It took me a second to realize that the man was referring to his time period's condom.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byThe Understudy March 15, 2010

Gross at Times but Wonderful in Parts

I read this book in class for an assignment, and found most of the book to be enjoyable, but some parts to be absolutely astonishing. Some of the chapters I had to skip and have a friend summarize for me because the pages were just too gruesome to bare. Octavian and his mother are brutally beaten and attacked. Octavian is forced into a mask and is violently ill, choking on his own vomit... but, besides the few innapropriate and disgusting scenes, the book was very informational, and an ok read.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymvsoccer April 9, 2008