All member reviews for The Quest Begins: Seekers, Book 1

Slow start to series about talking bears on quest.

Parent of a 2 year old Written byNK17 June 7, 2013

great series but the 3/5 violence is accurate

OK I love this series and I hate how people think this book is boring. Erin Hunter also made the warriors series and warriors is very popular, all over YouTube, hot topic and more, but seekers is not frequently talked about. that said I love this book and the entire seekers series. I flagged violence because the mauling and shootouts could frighten/disturb children, also seekers and warriors are noted by the public and myself for their dark tone, depictions of blood and themes... so I would say a tough 2nd grader and older should read, its also very enjoyable for adults even if it is a kids book.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bycheesecake125 February 28, 2011

Great series

Seekers series shows the life of bears and animals and how cruel it is. There are bloody violent scenes but it goes into the lives of the bears.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLadyKitKat11 December 21, 2010

Meh...

Erm, this one was slow and wasn't going anywhere. They were okay... Erin, you wasted your time on these, you should be writing more Warriors...
Teen, 14 years old Written bySilverSnake August 17, 2010

To me it is better than Warriors... (Dont kill me!)

I think its mostly me and NorthernNights that actually likes this book fully. To others its confusing I suppose, but I love this book! I do actually like it more than warriors. But of course I love bears more, they DO have the names of the switching characters on the next chapter.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySWIFTER May 9, 2010

Confusing Book!

I'm not saying the book stinks but It was VERY confusing to me because there were too many characters and there were times where I had absolutely no idea what was happening.
Educator and Parent of a 8 year old Written byCJ2009 September 27, 2009

Great Read for Animal Lovers

As I read this book for the first time, I was unaware that it was part of a series. I was shocked and upset to discover it at the end of the book! The first chapter of the second book that is included in the first was a bit of appeasement, for which I am grateful. I loved it, but as previous readers have said....read it slow, there are a lot of details.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bysfv September 26, 2009

who dies in the plane crash again? i know her name starts with an "n"
Adult Written byTinkerbell345 May 25, 2015

Great

I thought this was a good book for anyone looking for a series for the summer,or a school year.I would recommend this for 5th graders and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byXxIceshadowxX May 15, 2014

Read Warrior cats, not this. >:(

In my opinion seekers is very slow, and boring. About 95% of the people on this site could probably agree with me. I don't understand why common sense media rated it 3 stars when it should have like 1 star. Instead of having 3 stars, Warriors should have 5 stars. Erin Hunters please focus on Warriors instead of Seekers and Survivors, PLEASE!!
Kid, 10 years old December 14, 2013

OMG ITS SEEKERS

I LOVE DIS BOOK Oh i sorry its just this is a great series but watch out for a little gore but i still love it I love all erin hunter books
Kid, 12 years old November 5, 2012

Boring, but Erin Hunter is A Good Author

This is one of the most boring books I have ever read. Don't get me wrong, I love Erin Hunter's work. I have all of her Warriors books, but they are fast paced. This book is slow and barely covers any ground in the first book. If you like a slow-paced book with plently of time in between sequences of action than this is the one for you. If you like action read Warriors, but don't get me wrong, Erin's a great author!
Kid, 9 years old August 3, 2012

cool

if there was a warriors video game it would be rated E10: blood. violence
Teen, 13 years old Written bydhcortazar February 23, 2012

awsome book for kids

it is a great book, and is awsome for kids.
Kid, 9 years old January 20, 2012

Love it!

A really addicting book in a really addicting series. The rest of the books in the series are better though.
Adult Written bymr.duesbag October 15, 2011

When will they review warriors?! Warriors is SO much better!

Kid, 11 years old July 16, 2011

My rating applies to Erin Hunter's other series, Warriors, which I highly recommend!

Read Erin Hunter's Warriors series instead, it's much better! :-D
Teen, 13 years old Written byLuckyPleo June 18, 2011

If you are a mature person who isn't going to be a baby and complain that there is no action, then this book is perfect!

This book is amazing, as is the whole series. Many others say "Doesn't compare to warriors" or "way too slow" but it's not. If you are mature and dignified enough to read a book that every other sentence is not about action or peril, then you will love this book. It has great messages about nature. Kallik and Lusa are great roll models, so is Urjak, even Toklo makes hard decisions about doing what is right and doing what he was taught. This book really changed my views on many things. There are endless "book layers" as you may call it. I love this book and the series, it may "start out slow" as some say, but it's about a journey, so it's fun to track the bears on the map in the front of the book, as it is also to compare the human and bear maps. I love this book, it may not have the action of Warriors, but it has much more dignity and story, as well as the pure beauty of nature.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenbooklover February 16, 2011

READ WARRIORS!!!

I have only read the first book in this series and just have to say one thing: it doesn't even COMPARE to warriors! The warriors books are based on cats--not bears--and they are my favorite series ever!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byShadowWolf January 18, 2011

seekers=:( Warriors= <3

I hate to say this, but erin hunter is a bit over her head with this series. I personally am a die hard warriors fan and own every book in the series. I have read warriors at least 50 times, because i can read two of them a day. If you are wondering why i am reviewing warriors here, ir is because common sense media doesnt have any of the books on their site at all! The warriors books are not overdone, not sci-fi at all, and everything is so realistic i swear i hear Firestars Battle cry in my head every time i pick up the books! I could go on for days talking about my favorite characters and the best books and why did the authors have to kill cinderpelt, etc. Ill cut it short though, because im about to go start the warriors series all over again :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byAngel122796 January 9, 2011

Pretty good, but could never beat Warriors.

The Seekers series is pretty good, but definitely a step down from Erin Hunter's series Warriors. Despite this, I recommend you read the series, especially if you're a fan of Warriors. I agree with most of the other reviewers: The first book is slow & just ok, the rest of the series gets better. Not really what I would have expected Erin Hunter's second series to be, but still an ok read. They definitely took an environmental viewpoint in this series, with the bears constantly running into oil drills everywhere they go & Ujurak saying how all the animal species are being affected, etc. If you like Warriors or Guardians of Ga'hoole, you may like Seekers.