All member reviews for The Scorch Trials: Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 2

Teens are pawns of evil adults again in violent sequel.

Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2013

what the heck what this "reviewer" thinking?!?

OH MY GOSH THEY KISS???? Bloody shuck! that's horrible! Because of course we haven't seen the Disney Princesses do that two hundred times. . . Not to slam whoever wrote this review, but it kind of stunk. kids are underestimated to the point of insanity. I'm eleven, and it didn't disturb me or cause any emotional harm. People (adults) always think we're gonna flip out or something if we hear about some violence. But the thing is. . . this book tells it like it is. Otherwise, if we don't do something to help our world. . . it's going to the cranks. Teresa's "betrayal" makes kids think about decisions like the one she had to make. It's very thought-provoking, and the "logic" behind it is to test their reactions. To see if Teresa would abide by the rules or not. Maybe put some thought into it before you go and talk klunk about it. Speaking of klunk, that brings up the "issue" of language. THEY"RE MADE UP, FOR NEWT'S SAKE. This really is a know-your-child book. Eleven year old's maturity can vary, but iffy for FOURTEEN??? What the heck!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHugeReader123 September 29, 2011

GREAT BOOK, BAD REVIEW...

When I read this, i was thoroughly appalled. 14? I read this when I was 11, and it didn't scar me. It IS perhaps for kids twelve and up, be the person who wrote this review blew it WAY out of proportion. Yes, lightning stricks do occur, but the person lives afterward. Thomas gets shot, battered and beaten, as do the Gladers. As for the sexual content, nothing that's not in a pg-13 movie. the language is 0, if you don't count the made up words like shuck and slinthead, etc. Overall, this is one of the best book series ive read, and you should,too.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypatton1942 October 3, 2011

SSSCCCCAAARRRRYYYY

VERY SCARY i read the first chpater of the book in the back of the maze runner and couldnt sleep for a week... please do not read this book!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bychanel55 October 15, 2011

I loved it!

The scorch trials is one of my favorite books. I like this book even more than the first one. It amazed me how the kids in the book knew how to get through some of the toughest challenges.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBOLTZ415 February 17, 2015

AMAZING!

I read this book when I was 11. I think a mature 10 year old and up can read it. It does have violence and there is a kiss but WHO CARES! Other wise this book is the BOMB!
Adult Written bycarthony August 8, 2014

This book gets sadistic A LOT!!!

I loved the first novel in this series, but the second has left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I was unable to finish reading it. The story continues as the kids are further tortured and forced into deadly games by the sadistic scientists. Among the trials they will encounter are moulton metal balls that burn themselves onto the face, and then burn through the neck to remove a childs head. The smell of blood is described, as is the process of the blood pooling out over a characters hands. Another child is struck by artificial lightning that burns the cloths from his body, makes his eyeballs explode, and causes his leg to disintegrate. The blood gushing from the leg wound is vividly described. Then there are monsters that are basically zombies, complete with bloody wounds, rotted limbs, and psychotic tendencies, and cannibalism is included in this. One group of these has hand their noses ripped off, and the fleshy wounds are described vividly. At times it felt like I was reading a Saw novel, which is not something most parents would encourage for their child. The characters themselves have now become flat and under developed and the writing has taken a turn towards the childish. It honestly comes across like Dashner is more concerned with creating more and more sadistic scenarios than he is in developing the core story of survival. Sex is not a problem, but is occasionally hinted at, and the language is still there thinly disguised by the kids own language.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJonas Yarbro January 31, 2015

Jonas's Thoughts on Scorch Trials

Scorch Trails is a very thrilling book that takes the reader through romance, violence, loss, friendship, and deciding what is the "greater good". There are many violent sequences that can be very troubling for younger, less exposed kids. The story line is what makes the story for me. The world is in chaos, a horrid disease has developed and governments have come together to try and find a cure to the disease. The main question this book has the reader ponder is: "Is it moral for the government to be conducting the experiments on children for a cure (even if many children will be murdered)? And should the children continue supporting and helping the program?" I suggest that a reasonable age is twelve and above mainly for the gory, violent, and dark sequences portrayed in the story. There are definitely "night mare worthy" parts. There is no sexual content, (Includes three nonthematic kisses and holding hands). Mild Obscenities (D, GD, H, A) are more prevalent in this book than the Maze Runner. There are made up words among the Gladers (Shuck, Shuck Face, Shank, Klunk). There is no drug use or anything of that matter (One scene though, they are forced a mysterious drink that makes them unconscious), but the book includes a ton of ridiculing and harshness in between the characters. There is quite a bit of violence and gore, so I will mark the "too Much Violence" symbol, just for a warning. If you have any further questions about specific content, I would be happy to answer as I am a huge fan of the series. Message my account for an email address or question. THE GOAL OF THIS REVIEW IS TO ALERT ANY STRICT PARENTS OR THOUGHTS. I AM JUST GIVING ANY TYPE THING THAT MIGHT CONCERN THE MOST ALERT PARENT OR PERSON! I'm sorry if I "offended" anyone with my UNBIASED description of the content. I personally didn't find anything in this book bad or across the line to me. I just wanted to help anyone that needed as many details as possible. I'm sorry if I gave "too much information" :/
Teen, 13 years old Written byk_bug6640 November 17, 2014

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was very intriguing I could not put the book down
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus February 23, 2013

Really good!

I really liked this book! I thought it was better than book 1! The main reason this book is not for anyone younger than teen aged is the amount of violence. There is way more in this book than the first. Other than lots of violence and disturbing situations, there's a little drinking and some kissing and innuendo. Fine for most teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byeverythingart January 5, 2015

Scorch Trials Review

The Scorch Trials all in all was a very well-written book. You can see the challenges that the characters have to face and understand the situations that they have to go through. The characters model teamwork, perseverance, determination, and so many more positive attributes. Yes, one of the characters does "betray" another character in a selfish manner, but you can also view their situation through their eyes and understand the purposes behind their actions. There is A LOT of violence in this novel. It can get dark, but depending on the maturity of the reader, they can understand the content and how the characters in The Scorch Trials deal with these situations and come together to escape them. Some of the violence never actually occurs and is really processed in their imagination by WICKED. (SPOILERS!!) As for the language, the occasional cuss word is used, like crap. Most of it is made-up slang, like slint-head, shank, or klunk. The language isn't a major issue, once again depending on the maturity of the reader. - - - I (13) personally enjoyed The Maze Runner more than The Scorch Trials, as did my brother (11). We both thought that yes, this book is well-written, and yes, there is a strong plot line throughout the story as well as deep characters. We can say that some of the violence was irrelevant, but added more depth to the characters as well. I would recommend this book for 12-13+. For younger readers, it's fine as long as they are mature, understand the content, and can discuss the content. Thank you.
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2012

One of the best trilogys ever!

14?! 14!? Whoever though 14 was an appropriate age is wrong. Most YA dystopian fiction is like this. Cranks (zombies) plauge the world, created by sun flares. The only language is their made up words (shuck slinthead, etc.), and the occasional actual swear word and "bloody." Thomas and the other gladers get beaten, eaten, and die. Thomas gets a rusty bullet in him. The book runs on violence and gore. Its a book you can't pit down. I can't wait for The Kill Order!
Teen, 13 years old Written byRoseRuby February 16, 2013

The Scorch Trials Review

First, let me just say that I liked this book a lot. It was well written and fast paced. But the author created a dark dangerous world. Through out all of the book the characters lives are in danger. Some of them are beaten, starved and killed. There is a little bit of romance, but nothing more than kissing is described. This is a good book, but not for kids. Teens will like this book for its memorable characters, dangerous world, and its mysterious plot.
Kid, 12 years old August 1, 2014

Good...but violent

This book was way more violent but not to the point where I was disturbed. Some Tweens who are more squeamish may be afraid. While in a tunnel of darkness two of the teens are decapitated, while one almost is. They also have to survive through these people who are slowly going crazy to the point of becoming canabuls . Also someone gets shot and there is lightning that kills and burns several teens. At one point Thomas is driven into a false sense of security just to be betrayed by his closest friend Theresa. But Theresa only did this because she was told something worse might happen. This is an example of one of the hard lessons taught about decisions. At the end they must fight for lives once again in order to get onto the platform that takes them away while another bout of killer lightning threatens them again. Also there is a few uses of "hell" and there made up language of shank slinthead shuck klunk... Etc. Another thing to beware about is that Thomas and Brenda ( you will meet her as a crank one of the diseased) get caught up in a crank party and pass out after drinking an unknown substance that is described as a fire going down the throat all while being held against their wills. I really liked this book but I recommend people who are a little more mature that can handle the gruesome qualities of it.
Kid, 12 years old May 7, 2015

The best of the seriese

Out ofa ll of the books this ones the best. My favorite parts are when; they meet aris. Teresa and aris betray . And when thomas meets brenda. In this book you will know everything you need to to know (or need not to know!!) About themaze runner!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bydeepinthoughts November 10, 2014

so perf

this series is so perfect! it may get a little creepy but i couldnt put the book down its so interesting and i would recommend it for anyone about 10 :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byJason Parker July 11, 2013

Best Trilogy ever!!!

It is so AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bythe-divergent July 10, 2013

More violent than book 1, still pretty good

The book was much more violent than book 1, so be careful. There is a bit of drinking in one scene, they are at a party and Thomas is given a drink. He drinks it, then immediately passes out. He wakes up in a somewhat hungover state. This scene is quick and not that bad. The book is good, but like I said, very violent, and like book 1, it is extremely creepy.
Kid, 12 years old November 12, 2012

Scorch trials

It was okay but there was only some romance for Teresa but for someone else. It was kinda confusing at the beginning.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhannah_oty February 23, 2015
Adult Written byN.Kindred January 21, 2015
This was a bit slower than the first but just as good. It was thought provoking in a fun, easy way. This author is a new favorite of mine!