All member reviews for The Scorpio Races

Teen, 13 years old Written byWildAnatolian October 1, 2013

The Scorpio Races

This is and excellent novel by one of my all time favorite authors. The book has a great story and all the characters are very well developed. It is one of my favorite books. That said, this book is very gory. there are lots of violent scenes depicting characters deaths, and there is quite a bit of blood. Also there are some dialogue between characters that is important to the story that younger kids might not understand. Although there is romance in this story, it is very mild and quick. Overall this is a great book with many complex emotions. I believe however, that this would be most enjoyed by very mature tweens and up.
Kid, 12 years old February 2, 2012

Read it!

This book is really well-made. It's a book to read if you like horses. It's really funny, and a pleasurable read. Humorous and fun.
Kid, 11 years old August 9, 2012

i love the scorpio races

this is a thrilling and motivational novel-i loved it!! although in one scene some boys call Puck names and say things that are fairly inappropriate but besides that there isnt much language.
Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2012

Authentic and captivating novel

I read The Scorpio Races this year and enjoyed thoroughly. As a horse rider, I appreciated the bond of humans and their water horses, as well as the correctness of the terms used-most books get horse terms mixed up. The characters are admirable, with Puck and Sean's relationship being sigh-worthy. The plot is engaging and the harshness of the racing world is realistically well-written. Violence is plentiful but not that graphic, though one character maims a horse dreadfully. Nothing beyond kissing, lingering looks, and comical groping, George Holly (i love him!) appears with messed clothes and lipstick on his shirt. Mild swearing. Over all, an exciting must read!
Kid, 11 years old January 24, 2012

READ IT NOW!

It is a great book!!!! It says piss alot tho. BUT ITS STILL AWESOME!
Teen, 13 years old Written byXinaTurtle July 26, 2015
Teen, 16 years old Written bysqdancelover13 July 14, 2015

Due to the slight innuendos, this should be recommend for ages 11 and up. But they are very slight, nothing to really worry about. Puck is definitely a great role model. She continued to persist through training and eventually the race. Even when everyone was trying to destroy her spirit, she never let them, and that is a very strong, powerful message for young people.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytwistedlover123 November 5, 2014

As a horse back rider, I highly appreciated this book. I loved the bond between the humans and water horses. Such well detail in the races, but not very violent which was perfect for me. The romance was fairly well, Maggie has not disappointed me yet.
Kid, 12 years old June 27, 2014

The Scorpio Races

Honestly, even though it has some violence, the Scorpio Races is a really good book. I'm eleven, going into 7th grade, and everyone at my school new about MUCH worse stuff in 5th.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygilly_boy January 12, 2013

a good read, couldn't put it down

I remember reading this. The characters were enjoyable and romance, I think was the best about it. It was settle, didn't jump right into it like some others do. No, it built it up. One of the main characters is afraid of the horses and has good reason to and the other is trying to help her understand that there is nothing to be afraid of but always keep a wary eye.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydreamer98 October 31, 2012

Where is my breath? ....taken away (was that too cheesy)

First off, Maggie Stiefvater, you are one of my favorite authors in the world and you just gave me another reason to love you. This book contains a lot of violence between the water horses and characters. The water horses are deadly horses that come from the sea on a little fictional island called Thisby. They eat meat, including human flesh. Every November the Scorpio Races take place. That's when tourists and Thisby inhabitants alike compete. Risking their lives to ride on the water horses, the riders want first place; a very large sum of money. I have fallen in love with Thisby and its inhabitants. But this book is not about man-eating horses fully prepared to eat your head off. No, this book is about the lives of two young adults that have lived on Thisby all their lives. Kate “Puck” Connolly is an orphan who enters in the Scorpio races to help keep her brother from going to the mainland. She is the first girl EVER to enter the races. She meets Sean Kendrick. Sean is another orphan that works with the water horses, risking his life every day to train them. He has won the Scorpio races 3 times. This is their story. The story of how they both learned what they needed.
Teen, 14 years old Written bychickadeetweet July 5, 2012

Fascinatingly correct romance!

I thought this was a really awesome book! I am a big horse rider and a lot of the facts were correct, and I love the innocent romance between the two characters. The water horses gave it an interesting, but deadly twist to the whole story!
Teen, 15 years old Written byhmyers April 17, 2012

It was a good book!

It was a really good book! It didn't live up to it's 5 star rating though. There was some language that I wouldn't use but it wasn't anything horrible.