All member reviews for The Sea of Monsters: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2

Exciting myth-based series continues.

Kid, 11 years old May 30, 2011

Rick pulled it off again

Amazing book. Teachers about Greak Gods. They all learn about friendship and sticking up for each other. A bully ends up saving a charecters life towards the end. (Read the book if you want to know who) Some viloence, they describe a girl as being as limp as a rag doll when she got hurt, but she was healed later. Someone almost get drownds when the Percy pull them underwater to save them, but he put a air bubble around her just in time. All in all, amazing seris
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymovie-watcher November 13, 2010

Parent Written byfflala98 September 4, 2009

Awesome!!!!

I've read the first and second book and it's great!!! If you like Ancient Greek and fantasy, THIS is a FANTASTIC book for you.
Adult Written byCoffeeTable April 29, 2009

Great

Following the First book, the storyline is still great. The whole concept gives kids a fun introduction to greek mythology while still making an exciting story. Boys who don't read alot usually pick up this book even in high school.
Teen, 13 years old Written byibarrarosa March 5, 2015

Rick riordan does it again!

Rick riordan once again made his book an amazing adventurous ride for his readers.he continued strongly from his first book the Lightning theif. He made the main character Percy Jackson have a more playful and and adventurous side to his personality. As I read through out the book I thought the story plot was great Percy continues to go on a quest with his freinds which is to search for the Golden Fleece and introduced a new character. The age I think is appropriate to read this book is nine and up. I think this because this book is easy to understand, has no mention of drugs, has no mention of bad language or anything a parent would be concerned of when their child is reading a book they haven't heard about. So I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys these types of stories.
Parent Written byunknown65917 January 24, 2015

Some violence, mild cursing with words like retard, darn, hell, stupid, damn, idiot, etc. A mention of wine and cocaine. Some sadness about Annabeth and Luke. Overall an excellant book!
Teen, 13 years old Written bycabin6_demigod October 6, 2014

Sea of Monsters

This is a good book. There was only a few fights and injuries. I think this is the most kid friendly one in the series.
Kid, 10 years old April 26, 2014

Another great one

Rick Riordon does it again in The Sea Of Monsters.This thrilling sequel kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Annabeth,Grover,and Percy are now my official role models! There is little violence and lots of excitement! I LOVED it!!
Kid, 11 years old March 17, 2014

This book is awesome

do yourself a favor. read this now!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDuckCommander13 December 27, 2013

Book 2 could be longer

This was a very good book but was not as long as the first. There is mild violence and good role models
Kid, 10 years old March 30, 2013

Meh, good....the other books were better though

Eh, I liked it....though the other books were better. It's definatly to read. I would skip this book if you wanted to, not much of a contunuation to it, except for the end. Probably my favorite part. It's good enough to read, though be aware for some uh, marrige issues in this book( the boy goat is mistakend for a woman and is about to be married to a boy giant) so if you don't want a kid to come in contact with that don't read it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFlobear217 November 9, 2012

Mytholoy 101

I started this series in 10th grade and I still had fun reading it! It may have been a little hard at first, but it got easier as each word flew through my mind. The book even got my interested in Mythology, thus I started reading a Mythology book, written for college students. Yet again, I'm only a 10th grader and I still have fun reading the Mythology books!
Kid, 12 years old October 29, 2012

Loved it!

Percy Jackson is one of my most favorite book series' of all time. It is humorous, packed with action, and really interesting. This book was just spectacular. I read it when I was in 4th grade so I think it is fine for ages 9 and up. Percy, Annabeth, and all other characters are great role models. A must read!
Kid, 10 years old October 13, 2012

Ok...

Ok... but my least favorite in the series. It's the shortest and proably drags the most, but it's not horrible. It's not even that bad. It's just not great like the other books in the series.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrebma97 July 19, 2012

Better than the first

I liked this one better than the first book. It's not my favorite book, but it was fun and engaging. Rick Riordan's modern take on Greek gods is clever, and there are some funny lines in the book. Most of the main characters are good role models, protecting their friends and fighting for what's right. Violence: Plenty of action, most involving sword battles with monsters. Many monsters are killed, but never in a goery way. Sex: Demigods exist because gods had affairs with mortals, but this isn't referred to much. Language: One "D*mn" but that's about it.
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2012

Great with a lot of educational value

Nothing is too scary in this book and its pretty clean.:)
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2012

Awesome

its a great book that will keep you intrested in the next books
Teen, 15 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM June 4, 2012

Fast-paced, enjoyable installment in Riordan's best-selling series

Out of all the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" books, this one is my big, long-lasting favorite. Why? Well, first of all, it is the quickest read of the entire adventurous series (first time I read it, took me only a day to finish it). Second, it is chalk-full of rib-cracking hilariousness, gripping fun and never-ending excitement, with an overwhelming cliffhanger to top it all off in the end. And third, I just love the cyclopes that enter into Percy's chaotic, adventure-filled life; two of them come into play in this novel in two very different ways. Percy Jackson, our half-blood protagonist with ADHD/Dyslexia, is back in school for a year before he can return to Camp Half-Blood, a safe-haven for demigods (children of the Greek gods) located in Long Island, NY. After cannibalistic giants interrupt PE class with fireballs, he and his intelligent, resourceful friend Annabeth set out for Camp Half-Blood for safety, where they learn about the great troubles at their camp and the need for a quest to solve them. The rest of the novel is full of the duo's adventures on the way to an island out in the perilous Sea of Monsters, with their best friend, Grover's, rescue from that island in mind. Rick Riordan must be pretty talented to have the ability to craft an exhilirating, myth-filled novel with extraordinary depths into such a short book. He has the powers of a vignette writer: short, direct, and brim-full of meaning. Hardly a word is wasted in the epic story, which further expands on the broader series plot about the uprising of the wrathful titan Kronus, and how the Olympian gods and their half-blood children. His story, however, doesn't just reach to the heart-pulsing tale of the uprising; it shows the coming-of-age of Percy, Annabeth, and all of the major characters (taking all of his novels to do so), and gives lessons of family, love, loyalty, friendship, and so many other things. There are very few negative messages in this novel, and all the villains are usually, in their own ways, hilarious and not very frightening. The characters (the ones that aren't necessarily villains) tend to be very good role models: Percy is courageous and loyal, Annabeth is flawed yet able to get past them and recognize them, Grover is good-at-heart and a true friend, Chiron is wise and long-suffering, and even buff Clarisse, though mean and sometimes unappreciative, will sometimes appreciate and be helpful to Percy and his friends. Not to mention, she is a born, literally, and strong fighter. And even that quality isn't pro-violent, don't worry parents! The violence in this novel is frequent, yet not graphic (all the monsters turn to dust when killed and eventually return to the world at some point in time). Any injuries that are received in the novel are usually quickly healed. There is a d-mn and some name-calling in the novel, as well as some Greek curses, but otherwise not much to be worried about. There is hardly anything in the way of sexual content, except for the fact that probably every half-blood, or demigod, in the novel is an illegitimate child, and that Annabeth has a girlish crush on one of villains in the novel. Complicated! And this is one of the most down-to-earth characters in the novel, going after the way older villain. Well, she is just a teenage girl, I guess I can cut her some slack. No alcoholic content, that I can remember. Trust me, this is a rather clean novel. If you or your child loved Rick Riordan's "The Lightening Thief", they will absolutely love this stunning, memorable sequel. They will be itching to read the next book in the series, "The Titan's Curse", which, I warn you, is both a slight downer and thoughtful installment of this applaudable series.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHundav1 January 1, 2012

Another Grandslam

Riordan is back and better than ever in Sea of Monsters! For any concerns, I would look at The Lightning Thief reviews, because this book is definitely no worse. Violence is minimal and not graphic. It's not sexual at all excepting how they were conceived, but it's not like the kids sit around discussing that. Plus, you find out later that Annabeth wasn't even conceived in the traditional sense. She was born from her mother's thoughts, like Athena was in the original Greek Myth. Language is a nonissue. I think that kids under 10 may have some trouble understanding it, but if your kid is more mature then I would definitely recommend it!
Kid, 11 years old November 20, 2011

Good Book

It was a good book. I liked it