All member reviews for The Sea of Trolls

Exciting fantasy-adventure based on Norse myths.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJazzyEvvie April 9, 2008

Book for all ages

This is a fun book for anyone 8+. There is a scene of graphic violence, but it is a very good book for anyone from 8-88!
Teen, 14 years old Written byjazzyjammrz April 9, 2008

LUV IT LUV IT LUV IT

This is a really fun fantasy book. It is exciting- best for ages 8+. Thorgil starts out violent but ends up as a favorite character. five stars!

Great for ages 8 and up

I CAN'T GET ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byDonnie Dennis March 25, 2011

Great books for ages 10 on up.

I think "The Sea of Trolls" is a pretty good book and can be read by kids 10 on up. It doesnt have any bad words that can effects kids, but they'll probably have an addiction to the book and won't think about anything else.
Adult Written byGoldenLion February 4, 2011

This is one of my favorite books and I love it

This book is really good. It is educational because it has a lot of Norse myths in it. I've read all three book the land of silver apples and the isles of the blessed are numbers two and three. Me and my friends love this book I highly recommend it. It is suspenseful and action packed and sad at one part. It is one of my top three favorite books. I've read it like 12 times and never get bored of it. My 8 year old sister read it and she loves it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytranq April 9, 2008

Parent of a 10 year old Written byMom of tweens October 6, 2010

Great book for a 4th grader!

Sea of Trolls is a very well written book incorporating history and Norse myths. Nancy Farmer has a natural ability to draw the reader in like a story teller of old. She is also able to bring forth complex issues modern people face today.....the ability to see that there is no such thing as pure good or pure evil but many shades of gray. It is easy to forget we are all products of our circumstances/experiences and should really try not to judge people by our first impressions but take the time to understand what has made them into the person we see today.
Adult Written byAuntie Sarah August 25, 2010

Review: THE SEA of TROLLS by Nancy Farmer -- not for the faint of heart.

AuntieSarah.com YR/YA Rating: 7.5 Sheer adventure, rotten mayhem and Viking voyages -- not to mention giant Ice Trolls -- await anyone brave enough to tread the passages of THE SEA of TROLLS by Nancy Farmer. This is a page-turner of the first order, but not for the faint of heart. In these pages, all is lost. And more is gained. (Read full review on AuntieSarah.com)
Adult Written byanonymous808 August 17, 2010

crappiest book ever!!!

hate it!
Parent of a 15 year old Written byhomeschoolmomofzach May 23, 2010

great for non-reading boy, high interest, gruesom enough, 11 and up

This fantasy is a wonderful introduction into viking mythology. My son (now 15) first listened to this book at about age 11. He was not a reader at that time. About 1 year later, it was the first 'big' book he read, then he proceeded to read the next two in the series.
Parent of a 3, 4, and 8 year old Written bywcedmonds May 19, 2010

perfect for adventure readers.

I liked this book however it is questionable for children under 9 or 10. There is some violent fights that describe bloody scenes and monsters.
Kid, 9 years old February 22, 2010

now my favorite book!

i loved it!it may seem fiolent but it just shows how the northman lived.
Adult Written byJujubes December 12, 2009

Even though I'm eighteen, I still found this book, and it's sequel, The Land of Silver Apples, to be engaging, entrancing, and even educational. I couldn't put either of them down, though, of course, I had to, since I'm still in school. i haven't read the third book, the Islands of the Blessed, yet, but I'm sure that it will be just as magical.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystar April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written byelenmadil April 9, 2008

Like all Farmer Books, this one is grate.

Even though there is some bad language and maybe some violence, it only gives an atmosphere to the story. It's a grate story, though the ending is a little decipointing. One of my favorites though.

Very interesting

My younger sister bought this for my birthday, I read it and I loved it! The northmen were very entertaining, and it was fun to learn about their odd habits. I especially liked Thorgil's personality. She was tough, and she really wanted to be treated like she was a boy.It was also fun to watch how Jack went from being a farmer's wimpy son to being a bard mistaken for a northman. Lucy was a bit of a brat, but she was still sweet all the same. Some parents might find some of the northmen's customs and ideas repulsive, but I think it's harmless, really. I think 8 and up would enjoy and understand this.

Teen, 13 years old Written byseishou April 9, 2008

great book

very, very good book, i would recommend it to anyone. what struck me was that it was (at the most basic level) historically accurate. In real history, the great king Olaf Haraldsson captured a great bard named Bersi Skaldtorfuson, called a skald by the northmen. Bersi ended up writing the Saga of Olaf. I was shocked to realize that, besides the trolls, dragons, etc. It was true!!!