All member reviews for The Secret of the Painted House

Easy, fun read draws kids in with ghostly chills.

Kid, 10 years old November 5, 2010

perfect for 3rd 4th 5th 6th

I love that Emily's character adn when I was reading this book my heart was pounding when I was reading the important parts
Kid, 12 years old October 30, 2011

nice job

its good
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2008
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bypeony April 9, 2008

Not for younger kids: fire-setting, no water safety, sad/menacing ghost

Reserve this for an older kid (10+?) reading below grade level, as a book that though relatively simple to read will hold an older kid's interest. The book is well written, with a quite clever, very well-executed premise (of going deeper into into a receding series of paintings), and with numerous good illustrations adding to the story. But I do not recommend it for younger kids. Emily leaves her 4 year old brother alone in the woods next to a stream -- no water safety message there. And I am wary of any fire-setting theme in a book for young kids: here the ghost girl is described as having died in what was perhaps a self-set fire, and Emily's 4 year old brother has a habit of going around with matches and their eventual escape is when he (the 4 year old) sets a fire! (Which, by the way, is a clever resolution of their predicament -- I just don't like a positive result to fire-setting by a 4 year old!) And overall, the ghosts are sad and a bit malicious; that faint air of menace will appeal to (especially older) kids, but I don't care for menacing ghosts with younger readers.