All member reviews for The Selection, Book 1

Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 June 25, 2012

Loathed.

I enjoyed the original and empathetic premise, but if not for that, I don't think Cass could have been published. Her descriptions were not, well, descriptive. They didn't paint a picture in your head. Which I need. She has no actual WRITING skill. The idea is the only thing that pulls her through. And I HATE love triangles. That is so unfair to the reader! How can you make us fall in love with both of the guys then take one away?? That sucks! Please just kill one so I don't have to choose (I'd rather her kill Maxon. Just saying.) The cover is like the coolest thing I have ever seen. I was struggling getting through this book. I have no clue why, it's right up my ally. The girly girl in me adores the glamour of it. I LOVE Aspen. But the whole book it's like "Oh America is so pretty" "America is so smart" "America is so awesome". JUST. SHUT. UP. This chick has everything going for her. It's nearly impossible to root for someone like that. Seriously?? You have TWO incredible guys swooning over your every move and yet you manage to treat BOTH of them like dirt??? It is rare for a girl to be able to relate with a character that has all the boys swooning for her. Yet you, you have the whole "Dear, dear, however will I choose which one to make out with? How about both! Because I can!" thing going on. Good grief I just want to jump into the book and beat you up. How about a normal main character for us normal girls? I'm tired of that flawless supermodel with such good luck.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycleanreader12 October 24, 2013

Too Intimate

Okay... I loved almost everything about the book. The review on common sense media says that all America and her boyfriend do is "just kiss" .if you call "just kissing" lying on top of one another and caressing! They had clothes on... I just would have liked a better warning. Other than that the book is very enjoyable.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLiveLoveLOL August 16, 2013

Awesome!

This is one of my favorite books ever! I adore the love triangle (but I'm rooting for Maxon), and it's got a great plot that really keeps me intrigued. I stayed up all night reading it! There is some kissing scenes, but not to bad. I read the sequel, and it was great! I can't for the third one!
Teen, 13 years old Written byclaireandlou July 31, 2012

Great book, mild sexy stuff

In the world of Illea, when a member of the royal family is looking for a new wife, The Selection takes place. It's a competition to win the prince's heart. America Singer doesn't want to be a part of it- she has already found love with her secret boyfriend Aspen. But Aspen, who is a caste (which is like a district) below her, meaning that he is poorer than her, insists that she apply to participate so that he can feel like he has done something for her own good. When she is picked, she has to have a proper send-off in her caste. That's when Aspen breaks up with her saying that he could never marry her and force her to become poor like him, that she deserves better. She goes to the palace with a broken heart and 34 other girls, and discovers that Prince Maxon isn't as bad as he seems. Some mild sexual themes-- it is illegal to have sex in Illea before you are married and America often thinks something like "We have to stop even though we both want more." And a man comes to her house right before she leaves to go to the palace to confirm that she is a virgin. And that even though it's illegal, she should never refuse the prince, even if he wants to have sex with her. She is a good role model because she stands up for herself and doesn't care that the person she loves doesn't have very much money.
Kid, 11 years old June 11, 2012

A really amazing book, can't wait for a sequel!

I love this book! Such a cute story about love twists and tangles, and sososososo excited for the next book! Very suspenseful and makes you want to read more and more
Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2013

The Selection May Not Be a Top Selection for Book Readers

This book is a somewhat good book. There are small parts that aren't really appropriate for children, but if your child is mature, they should be able to handle it. Overall, it is a good futuristic book that is almost like watching reality tv. A great read for 12 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySexy senorita May 26, 2012

The Selection

I think this is a great book and I would highly recommend this book to anyone of my friends and family. If my mum asked me if it was too mature, I would say now, because it isn't and I really enjoyed it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byrebma97 May 2, 2013

Engaging, but also weak (3.5/5 stars)

This novel is very entertaining. The writing keeps you hooked, and America's character is a fresh heroine who's outspoken and tries to do what's right. With that being said, I felt like it was missing something when I read it. I think it's that the world of Illea isn't developed very much-dystopians have to have good background history to give the story more depth. But the story was very intriguing, and I'm interested in reading the next novels. Violence: A few times in the story, rebels attack the palace (but no one gets hurt). One of the past rebels had attempted to rape a servant. Near the beginning of the book, it was mentioned that a boy was whipped for stealing food. Sex: America and Aspen engage into some passionate kissing; America admits she wants to have sex with Aspen, but the law forbids them from doing so. America also kisses Maxon a few times. One of the palace officials makes America confirm she's a virgin when she is selected for the Selection and also tells her she should do anything Maxon asks for (implying sex). Language: A few uses of "h*ll" and "d*mn" Drinking & Drugs: Some of the characters drink alcoholic beverages served at the palace.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooklover1299 November 22, 2012

The selection

I loved this book i've never really been into reading much but this book i adored! I couldn't put it down i cant wait for the second book to come out but the first book had a enough closure but still left you wanting to know more witch i loved
Kid, 11 years old March 11, 2015

NEVER STOPS BEING AS GOOD AS HUNGER GAMES

Teen, 14 years old Written byTymicah March 8, 2015

Loved it

The selection was one of the very few books that I have come across that actually had an unbelievable love story. You might be thinking at this moment that I'm crazy but the main reason I read books is to escape reality and enter a new world. Not to just take me into somebody else's reality. Don't get me wrong I love realistic stories but its nice to see an unbelievable setting once in a while. Absolutely worth the read I would recommend it to anyone!!
Kid, 12 years old January 7, 2015

One of the best books!!

What a book!!! It was filled with booth romance(mostly) and action. The selection is a competition between 35 girls to win Prince Maxons heart and heand. Girls all over Illea enter the selection. America(the main character) is a strong girl who will stand up for her self and her loved ones even if it means breaking the rules. Her mother encourages her to enter the selection and America becomes one of the 35 girls but with one difference. She does not want Maxon. This bachelor style fairytale could never be better and that is why I love it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySydWeasly October 28, 2014

It gets worse

The Selection is a very exciting book that is hard to put down. However, later in the series the sexual content becomes much worse. I really wanted to finish the series, but I had to stop reading the last book (the One) because of the sexual content.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygreensparkling13 July 29, 2014

A princess version of survivor for young teens

This was a book that I could not put down. From humor to royalty, it is truly a book for Tweens. I really enjoyed this read and I would totally recommend this book to other young girls. Also, parents should know that it is about a contest and the winner marries the prince; therefore, they are going on dates around the palace. All in all, it is a great book for 12 and up
Teen, 16 years old Written byKerrineliza July 25, 2014
Teen, 13 years old Written by123hannah4567 July 1, 2014

Interesting

I really liked the story and I thought that it was pretty cool. It only took me 2 or 3 days to read because I really liked it. I think that most tween/ teen girls would enjoy reading it, especially dystopian fans. The thing that first drew me in was the dress on the cover, so I decided to buy it. I do not regret buying it. One of the few things that were iffy about this book was the romance. There isn't any sex, but there is some passionate kissing. America and her boyfriend, Aspen want to have sex but can't because it is illegal to before marriage. America says that is why most people marry young. Another thing is the violence. It isn't too bad, but there are some rebel attacks in the palace. The prince tells America that some rebel attacks are not very harmful at all, but some of them involve killing. None of the girls are killed, but become very frightened. It was very hard for me to put this book down and I highly recommend this book. If you read it, you will not be disappointed. I will certainly buy the 2nd and 3rd book of the trilogy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicNerd May 20, 2014

Unique and addicting!

Kiera Cass has an incredible talent for making readers want to keep reading at the end of every single chapter (this goes for all the books). What I love most about these books is that they never get boring, it's just one thing after another- it's fantastic! As for age appropriateness, I'm going to go with 13 and up due to some references to sex underneath the plot if you know what I mean. For example, America (the main character), when being accepted for the competition, is required to be a virgin, but is then later told that she must submit to any request of the prince, "...even if it's more than kissing." There's also a make-out scene between America and her childhood lover that stops, "just shy of something we could be arrested for." There's definitely a lot of kissing but other than that nothing a parent should be concerned about their 13-year-old reading. There are wonderful messages about family, friends, self-discovery, and many other great influences. These books also portray a very beautiful and sweet example of what true love should be like, which is definitely something teen girls should be reading about. Overall I highly recommend The Selection to girls (and guys I guess) interested in romance, dystopia, and/or monarchy (such as books set in the medieval ages).
Teen, 13 years old Written byUseursense February 17, 2014

Ummm.... CSM might want to re-do their review.

I only got to the first chapter and there was this huge scene where America sneaks out at night and meets her boyfriend. Huge make-out thing. Really bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylonewolf-reviewz November 20, 2012

Enjoyable

You'd think it would be a glossy, princess dating show, bad for teens; right? Not so much, enjoyable, no sex, just a fantasy, love story... but for teens. Happy reading!
Kid, 12 years old July 27, 2012

can't wait for the sequel

I read this book and loved it. I can't wait for the sequel. In the beginning, America meets with her secret boyfriend at night.