All member reviews for The Slave Dancer

Moderately graphic depiction of the slave trade.

Maybe disturbing for people who aren't ready

A good book that I recomend to people who can handle it. It's a little intense. There's beating and some language, there's also lots of dying. It's a little depressing to see what people did to the african slaves.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byabiangel2016 January 19, 2016

Its fine but...

This book is great but you do need to be alerted of language and reference to sex, and drugs. I believe this book is only for you if you are mature. This book is also for older kids because it is a little harder to read. It is an interesting book and very good but it is very detailed about the slave trade. Btw it might say Im a parent but I am really 11 years old this book was a little too much for me and many of my classmates.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypinkkrunkladie3 April 9, 2008
Teen, 16 years old Written byyellowblossomflower April 10, 2014

Awesome, but can be hard to understand

I think this is an awesome book! It is amazingly written, and a great story. However, it can sometimes be hard to understand the actual literature, as the words can be hard. I actually had to keep a dictionary while I was reading it. This book is definitely for advanced 10 year old readers and above.
Teen, 16 years old Written byyanksrule35 December 15, 2011

ihaveahorriblehistoryteacher

I had to read this book in my 11th grade US history class and write a report about it without using details... My teacher clearly is a poor history teacher and would might want to consider becoming an English teacher. Besides that this book was alright, may be inappropriate for children due to some racial slurs
Parent of a 14 year old Written byHailee cook January 24, 2011
i love this book

Awesome graphic!

the slave dancer, yet quite gruesome, is a spellbinding book retelling the horric practices of slave trade. it also explain the cruelty of human nature and inhuman conditions. Overall, I give this book 5 stars!(if i can give more i would.)
Teen, 13 years old Written bybdm April 9, 2008

BORING!!!!

I'm in eigth grade and i had to read a book and write a book report on it...it took me quite a while to read this book b/c it was EXTREMELY boring! I would NOT recommend it to anyone!
Teen, 14 years old Written byguess who April 9, 2008

stupid

this book is so retarded that i was sleeping while i was reading it .and i just read it cause i had to do a stupid proyect well actually i didn't even finish it cause it was freaking boring ... anyways guys dont read it hahaha read the book night by elie wiesel its about jews and war its so good bye
Parent Written byllama101 May 18, 2016

I think it would be better suitable for.....

I feel this book has many racial slurs and complete disrespect towards women, such as when the crew look at the naked slaves or when Jessie peeks through windows to see naked women. This book has drunkenness and feel it would be for aged 13+ I just feel this book is too graphic for youngsters since it does depict the horrors of the slave trade. Definitely only for mature teens and up.
Kid, 10 years old February 24, 2015

A bit disturbing (morally), but not as bad as your review

There are a few racial insults, a small illustration at the beginning of the slaves nude (not explicit and with conveniently-placed crates). However, the violence, while disturbing to sensitive readers, is not as bad as some other books of the African-American experience. It can also drag at times.
Teen, 13 years old Written byChocolateAbigail December 3, 2011

Dont waste your time

I hated this book. it was boring and got inappropriate at times. I wouldn't recommend it. i had to read it for a book report. HATED IT.
Adult Written bychinkemno April 18, 2009

slave dancer picture book

Teen, 13 years old Written bymattie83195 November 19, 2008

A great book for 8th grade social studies

This book very well explains how the slave life was like back then..slaves were sold like candy..like they ment nothing..they did though..slavery was wrong.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycommentgirl58 April 9, 2008

I had to read this for school!

I am in 7th grade and I believe though it may be appropriate for 10 year olds, they may not get the entire meaning of the book.