All member reviews for The Stonekeeper: Amulet, Book 1

Tragic events kick off action-packed graphic novel fantasy.

Parent of a 2, 5, 7, and 7 year old Written byFowlerFan January 10, 2014

My kids love it.

Admittedly, I haven't read all of the book. I have read the first half, and it opens with some sadness. But as my 7 year olds warned me, "Dad, you won't like the beginning". So, he knew it was sad, but like most 7 year olds, can take a lot in stride. These are the first books (as I write this, there are 5 in the series) that my kids can't put down. One of them has read each of them 10 times. There isn't a lot of text, as it is a graphic novel. Some of the images/drawings are a little scary, but when your kid is to the age they can read it, I think they'll be fine.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLord Pigeon March 10, 2014

Excellent graphic novel series from Scholastic.

As a graphic novel, Amulet really stands out. The series boasts gorgeous artwork and a colorful cast of quirky little robots. The fantasy and action elements cater to kids, as well as teens and adults. Takes patience to wait for upcoming issues, but all is worth-it. The plot unfolds in interesting and compelling ways, which always keeps the reader anticipated. Most of the fighting involves magical stones and giant machines. Some characters wield knives. Some deaths, but minor blood. Emily is a great role-model in that her character shows faith and perseverance, as well as a protective love for her friends and family. No language. The crew travel to a bar in one scene, and two elf soldiers are later shown drinking heavily.
Parent Written bymadragon June 20, 2013

Not to be missed.

The first series my 7 yo daughter became hooked on, she tore through these and they've gotten her so excited about reading! A great bridge between picture books and chapter books.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycommonsense_jojo August 25, 2016

Hated the Main Character and a Disappointing Read

The main character—Emily—was really annoying for me. First of all, when the family moves to a new house and they are cleaning the rooms, Emily spots the amulet and just takes it. She was protective of it, keeping it away from her brother, and it didn't exactly even belong to her. She wasn't very understanding to her mother when they moved, and it came off as rude to me; the mother had been in more pain of their father's death than anyone else. After their mother was kidnapped, Emily immediately made herself the boss of Navin, her little brother. Navin was my most liked character, and he was more cautious of the amulet's power than Emily was. As well, Emily is a promise breaker. When Silas and the other robots are relying on her to wisely use the amulet, she is willing to just risk it and give it away for her mother. I mean, I get why she'd do that, but I didn't like how she didn't hesitate at all. The others were counting on her, but she didn't take full responsibility. I didn't continue the series, as I've read several "chosen one" books and series before. This one wasn't very impressive for the premise it offered.
Kid, 8 years old November 11, 2016

good book

This book is very interesting. The prologue shows a car accident in which a character dies and the mother gets a bloody nose. There is a scene with a gun but nobody dies and another in which an animal is harpooned. There are cool weird creatures and interesting characters. My favourite character is Trellis because he's super cool and a rebel. I would recommend this book to older kids because there are graphic scenes.
Kid, 7 years old May 8, 2016

I

Me and my friends love it like in just a second you'll be hooked
Teen, 13 years old Written byamminrehman April 21, 2016
Kid, 10 years old April 15, 2016

best book ever!!

i really think this book is the best ever! I read this first book and got right into the the series! they recently came out with the 7th book and im loving it. By the end of the 7th book they put u right on the verge for wanting to know what happens next! so if u haven't read the book yet get it out of the library and start reading. And don't worry if you've read the book and u really liked it there's 6 more and they get better each time! it also has great role models.
Kid, 12 years old April 4, 2016

Great book

Amulet is a great story on how she get rewarded but she works very hard to get the amulet yet she loses thing on the way to get the amulet .when u read it it gets u exited and u want to read more .