All member reviews for The Sword in the Stone

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byrachelernst.com July 29, 2012

Thick reading, Worth it for a good listener

My son just turned 8 and enjoyed this book, even though I had to explain a lot of things in it to him. Also, it is a more challenging read out loud than to one's self, and most adults would probably have some trouble with it. However, it was worth our time and it has captured this mom's heart. You may want to check into the books by Margaret Hodges such as Merlin and the Making of a King, which is an adaptation of the Arthurian Legend but may be more accessible for the younger children.
Teen, 14 years old Written byChiquita99 February 14, 2011

Hated it. Was horrible never read it it was really bad. I never want to read anything that has a title containing the words sword in stone.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarasnake99 January 10, 2011

Great book!

I, personally, loved this book. Not my favorite ever, but it was a very good read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byavidcritc April 9, 2008

great story

i love the story of King Arthur, even though the writing is a little bit hard to get through. sometimes i felt like i was slogging down a marsh, having to exert a huge effort to pick up one foot at a time and keep moving forward. okay, maybe that's a little overdramatic. i take most of it back. one of the things i found particularly funny is that King Arthur- the great King Arthur, whom legend says ruled during the golden age of England and will return to rule again- had a nickname. and an embarrassing one at that. i mean, who thinks of glorious King Arthur as WART?
Parent of a 12 year old Written byLisette's Mom January 13, 2013

I Loved This Book As A Teen!

I read this work by T.H. White in English class in 10th grade, 30 years ago (edition did not have the illustrations referred to above). It triggered in me a love of any work of literature relating to the Arthurian legend that continues this day. I am not sure what the youngest age appropriate for this book would be, since I read it when I was 15. However, my 12-year-old is a very advanced reader and loves fantasy, myths and legends, so I am going to buy a copy and review it to see if I think she is ready. The element that gives me pause is Arthur's (and other characters') incestuous conceptions. My willingness to give her a copy depends on how sensitively these episodes are treated.
Kid, 11 years old January 31, 2011

Boring

Uses midevel language hard to understand boring
Teen, 13 years old Written byRipley183 January 10, 2011

perfect for ages 9+

i like this book it is amazing
Teen, 13 years old Written bytiny22 January 10, 2011

If you ever have to read this book, DON'T!!!!! Your teacher will say it is a great book, it is not!!!!
Kid, 12 years old January 6, 2011

my first review

i like it
Kid, 12 years old August 25, 2010

this book rocks! Its one of my fave books but its sad when the dog dies.