All member reviews for The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread

Brave mouse adventure a modern classic; great read-aloud.

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byAvidreaders February 4, 2010

We are a household of avid readers. I read many genres, and would list reading as my most preferred recreation. Since I do have sensitive children, I try to pre-read many of the books they receive or that we buy for them. Let's see: rejection at birth, betrayal by family, rat-infested dark dungeon, weapon-wielding abduction of a little girl from her bed, rejection of another little girl by her mother and then she is sold by her father to an abusive household, .... Not a happy read by any of my standards. I don't get the appeal.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bybluebaker July 1, 2009

From start to finish, much darker than expected.

Our family, adults and children alike, had a hard time with this book and found that its gritty darkness was not nearly outweighed by the positives. Overall, themes such as betrayal, abandonment, abuse, mob vengance, and hopelessness made this book completely inappropriate for younger children, and unenjoyable for us. A more rewarding plot might have justified some of these issues for older readers, but unfortunately this was not the case.
Adult Written bymommynyc April 9, 2008

terrible

One of the worst books I have ever read to my children. The casual violence, including casual battering of a little girl, is stomach turning. Kate Di Camillo is the trendy favorite because she tries to make child abuse and abandonment the norm. It is not the norm, Kate, and it is not funny or entertaining.
Kid, 11 years old November 3, 2011

it's a one-day book, but its tale is very long

I actually read this book in one adventure-filled day, and I was glued to the book the whole way through. The book may be about a force smaller than your hand, but it was very energetic, exuberant, and especially detailed. Although sometimes it tripped up with its old-schooled royal talk, it's definitely a book I aim for kids days away from becoming official tweens.
Parent of a 5 and 12 year old Written bypwolfcale December 1, 2008

Great Theme

I loved the theme of dedication, love, and loyalty. However, I was rather saddened by the amount of violence and betrayal. I think the worst part was the story of Migery Sow's childhood. On a positive note, the new Junior Novelization seems to change the story line to remove the super negative parts of the orginal. If you are going to read it to your child you may want to prepar them. :)
Adult Written byrfgraham April 9, 2008

The most insulting hurtful piece of literature today

Newberry committee should be scolded! A child is abused and abandoned, not interesting enough? The author felt the child should be slow-witted, fat and lazy as well. How dare she make light of a child who is treated so shamefully. It added nothing to the story other than showing she had a “ridiculous wish” this author should be ashamed of herself. This is un-kind and insulting to the half million “at-risk” children in this country who dream of a day of safety. Those bitten by abandonment, afflicted with abuse and inoculated into a crumbling foster care system are entitled to have their wishes validated. “At risk” children are a growing epidemic in this country they are suffering a terrible disease. This disease is sometimes more debilitating and often just as deadly as many medical condition. For many of them it is a chronic illness from which they will never recover. Can we accept literature such as this to be read to our children? We should make light of Sick Kids too! I wouldn’t tell anyone to buy this rubbish, but get it at the library and read for you. This author owes 600,000 apologies. She should start writing NOW! www.labeled4entertainment.com
Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2010

boring

a bit of a childish book... in a bad way.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bylaura123 May 21, 2009

This story is a book every kid out there to read my kid read it and he loved it!

this was a very good book what could be better then the story of cute little mouse whth cute little ears that loves a fair princess?
Kid, 9 years old November 28, 2008

Great Book!!

I read this book and it's a pretty good book but some stuff is hard to understand. Some things may creep younger kids because of the thought that rats eat mice. Otherwise a really great book.
Adult Written byluckey April 9, 2008

Great read!

This new fairy tale is a must read. Great for young and old! I enjoyed the style Dicamillo wrote about the characters.
Adult Written byxoxogini April 9, 2008

This book is good for the older middle schoolers. There are some questionable behaviors in the book but overall it is good.

I laughed, I cried, I read the book twice.

Love the book so, so much! It's a little bit long, however timeless. It's a must-read for everyone 8 and up. Loved it!!!

A very Good Book!

Welcome to the story of Despereaux Tilling, a mouse who is in love with music, stories, and a princess named Pea. It is also the story of a rat called Roscuro, who lives in the darkness and covets a world filled with light. And it is the story of Miggery Sow, a slow-witted serving girl who harbors a simple, impossible wish. These three characters are about to embark on a journey that will lead them down into a horrible dungeon, up into a glittering castle, and, ultimately, into each other’s lives. And what happens then? As Kate DiCamillo would say: Reader, it is your destiny to find out.

My favorite book

I really loved this book. i dont know it was something about i tthat made me go WOW!! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilo150 May 6, 2015

The Tale of Desperaux

The author wrote this book in such an attention-capturing manner. I couldn't stop reading the Tale of Desperaux! There is always something happening and you wouldn't find a page without any action.
Educator and Parent Written byThe Modern Muse February 24, 2015

Disturbing

The book is disturbing and inappropriate as a read aloud in school for students younger than high school. Young students think it's a great book but a teacher has a responsibility when introducing child abuse, detailed methodology on how to deceive and manipulate others, and cruelty to young children. I'm not sure how a teacher could read this aloud to a third grade class with a clear conscious. A young girl is abandoned, physically abused to the point of physical deformity and loss of hearing; not to mention the continuous degrading references towards her throughout the book. It's like reading the Jaycee Dugard story on a child's level. Very dark. I'll have to watch the movie; it must be lighter than this book. Kate DiCamillo (the author) ...she took creating modern fairy tales too far.
Adult Written byN.Kindred January 21, 2015

Rated 8 only for reading comprehension.
Kid, 8 years old April 17, 2012

for Despereaux Tilling

The story of a mouse, a princess, some soup and a spool of thread is one of my favorite books in the world.
Kid, 8 years old March 30, 2012

little violence

It's a good book, a little violent sometimes, like when Despereaux's tail gets cut off. Despereaux is also very brave. It was a little exciting, for example when Despereaux was going through the kitchen at night. I also felt sad when Despereaux's tail got cut off. I would like to recommend it to some 8 years olds that are interested in only a little violence.
Kid, 9 years old October 19, 2011

a kids pespective

this book is relay good I am reading it at school it takes it,s time to relay explane detale and show who the cariktors are I am in year 3 and have only read 3 chapters but so fare it is fabulous.