All parent member reviews for The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byAvidreaders February 4, 2010

We are a household of avid readers. I read many genres, and would list reading as my most preferred recreation. Since I do have sensitive children, I try to pre-read many of the books they receive or that we buy for them. Let's see: rejection at birth, betrayal by family, rat-infested dark dungeon, weapon-wielding abduction of a little girl from her bed, rejection of another little girl by her mother and then she is sold by her father to an abusive household, .... Not a happy read by any of my standards. I don't get the appeal.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byMandM mama December 21, 2010

I love the character Despereaux. He is cute.
Adult Written byVictoria1185 July 17, 2009

Great for older kids - lots of room for learning experiences.

This book addresses issues such as being different from others and overcoming obsticals to achive your dreams. The book does have dark and gloomy aspects to it. However the message is about overcoming the darkness. The main characters are faced with many challenges that children can relate to and learn from.
Adult Written byluckey April 9, 2008

Great read!

This new fairy tale is a must read. Great for young and old! I enjoyed the style Dicamillo wrote about the characters.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 15, 2010

"I was touched"

When my son came back from school one day, they had read this book. He asked how to spell it-I can't spell it so I can't put it. I immediatly read this- I like reading books my children like. "Good" was James's way of putting it. "A real heartwarmer about a mouse-fantastic illustrations" is how I put it. I actually cried during some parts. I also loved it that he tried to read. "Humorous". I try to get my family to read more-I always loved it, and I like to know what my kids are reading. When I finished reading this, I "knew the difference between a rat and a mouse". True story*
Parent of a 6 year old Written bybluebaker July 1, 2009

From start to finish, much darker than expected.

Our family, adults and children alike, had a hard time with this book and found that its gritty darkness was not nearly outweighed by the positives. Overall, themes such as betrayal, abandonment, abuse, mob vengance, and hopelessness made this book completely inappropriate for younger children, and unenjoyable for us. A more rewarding plot might have justified some of these issues for older readers, but unfortunately this was not the case.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written bynicemom13 August 28, 2009

great for girls and boys

It's interesting and funny. My favorite character was the princess pea.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bylaura123 May 21, 2009

This story is a book every kid out there to read my kid read it and he loved it!

this was a very good book what could be better then the story of cute little mouse whth cute little ears that loves a fair princess?
Adult Written bymommynyc April 9, 2008

terrible

One of the worst books I have ever read to my children. The casual violence, including casual battering of a little girl, is stomach turning. Kate Di Camillo is the trendy favorite because she tries to make child abuse and abandonment the norm. It is not the norm, Kate, and it is not funny or entertaining.
Adult Written byrfgraham April 9, 2008

The most insulting hurtful piece of literature today

Newberry committee should be scolded! A child is abused and abandoned, not interesting enough? The author felt the child should be slow-witted, fat and lazy as well. How dare she make light of a child who is treated so shamefully. It added nothing to the story other than showing she had a “ridiculous wish” this author should be ashamed of herself. This is un-kind and insulting to the half million “at-risk” children in this country who dream of a day of safety. Those bitten by abandonment, afflicted with abuse and inoculated into a crumbling foster care system are entitled to have their wishes validated. “At risk” children are a growing epidemic in this country they are suffering a terrible disease. This disease is sometimes more debilitating and often just as deadly as many medical condition. For many of them it is a chronic illness from which they will never recover. Can we accept literature such as this to be read to our children? We should make light of Sick Kids too! I wouldn’t tell anyone to buy this rubbish, but get it at the library and read for you. This author owes 600,000 apologies. She should start writing NOW! www.labeled4entertainment.com
Parent of a 5 and 12 year old Written bypwolfcale December 1, 2008

Great Theme

I loved the theme of dedication, love, and loyalty. However, I was rather saddened by the amount of violence and betrayal. I think the worst part was the story of Migery Sow's childhood. On a positive note, the new Junior Novelization seems to change the story line to remove the super negative parts of the orginal. If you are going to read it to your child you may want to prepar them. :)
Adult Written byxoxogini April 9, 2008

This book is good for the older middle schoolers. There are some questionable behaviors in the book but overall it is good.