Kid reviews for The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread

Brave mouse adventure a modern classic; great read-aloud.

Kid, 9 years old October 19, 2011

a kids pespective

this book is relay good I am reading it at school it takes it,s time to relay explane detale and show who the cariktors are I am in year 3 and have only read 3 chapters but so fare it is fabulous.

Kid, 11 years old November 3, 2011

it's a one-day book, but its tale is very long

I actually read this book in one adventure-filled day, and I was glued to the book the whole way through. The book may be about a force smaller than your hand, but it was very energetic, exuberant, and especially detailed. Although sometimes it tripped up with its old-schooled royal talk, it's definitely a book I aim for kids days away from becoming official tweens.

Kid, 9 years old November 28, 2008

Great Book!!

I read this book and it's a pretty good book but some stuff is hard to understand. Some things may creep younger kids because of the thought that rats eat mice. Otherwise a really great book.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymjett5577 June 24, 2016

A book better and very much different than the movie

This was such an adorable story! If I had read it when I was in 4th grade, it would have been 5 stars. But I still really enjoyed it as a 6th grader. Anyways, onto the good stuff. The dialogue was well done and it kept you alert while reading. Wow, those descriptions were awesome. When it was talking about food, I felt so hungry! Kate Dicamillo sure does keep your attention on the story! The characters were what truly held the story together. All of them were so different in so many ways. Personally, Despereaux was my favorite. Notes: I listened to the entire book on YouTube. This YouTuber reads books aloud and I happened to stumble upon the audiobook to this book. Her performance is awesome! I couldn't have hoped for anything better. Here's the link to the first video; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqv9bYcQ5YQ.

Educational Value

A very Good Book!

Welcome to the story of Despereaux Tilling, a mouse who is in love with music, stories, and a princess named Pea. It is also the story of a rat called Roscuro, who lives in the darkness and covets a world filled with light. And it is the story of Miggery Sow, a slow-witted serving girl who harbors a simple, impossible wish. These three characters are about to embark on a journey that will lead them down into a horrible dungeon, up into a glittering castle, and, ultimately, into each other’s lives. And what happens then? As Kate DiCamillo would say: Reader, it is your destiny to find out.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilo150 May 6, 2015

The Tale of Desperaux

The author wrote this book in such an attention-capturing manner. I couldn't stop reading the Tale of Desperaux! There is always something happening and you wouldn't find a page without any action.

Educational Value
Kid, 11 years old September 23, 2010

MY FAVORITE BOOK!!!!

I read it when i was seven so i have no problem with the age, but there was some violence involed. Despareaux is a good role because he follow his heart.

Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

I laughed, I cried, I read the book twice.

Love the book so, so much! It's a little bit long, however timeless. It's a must-read for everyone 8 and up. Loved it!!!
Kid, 12 years old September 1, 2010

GOOD BOOK

GOOD book, only rated for 10+, because it skips between scenarios, making it more challenging to read. Over all, I liked it! Questions, Comments- [email protected]

Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2010

boring

a bit of a childish book... in a bad way.

Teen, 13 years old Written byguitarangel96 April 13, 2009

Such a Cute Book

This is a really good book for young readers. Great story with a really cute twist. I would recomend for ages 6+ for girls and 8+ for boys, just because there is romance that young boys would maybe think is gross. I read it in 4th or 5th grade and loved then too, so good book for all ages. Cute movie also.

My favorite book

I really loved this book. i dont know it was something about i tthat made me go WOW!! :)
Kid, 8 years old March 30, 2012

little violence

It's a good book, a little violent sometimes, like when Despereaux's tail gets cut off. Despereaux is also very brave. It was a little exciting, for example when Despereaux was going through the kitchen at night. I also felt sad when Despereaux's tail got cut off. I would like to recommend it to some 8 years olds that are interested in only a little violence.
Kid, 12 years old April 3, 2010
I liked this book but it can get kind of confussing you really have to focus on what your reading! it is not a book for a 8 year old! i say 10 or 11

Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2010

I love it! Just read it, and you'll see why!

I LOVE this book, this is one of my favorite books on earth. It took me only a day to read because I got SO into it! I love the story, How a little mouse falls in love with a princess, and has big ears, and does not act like a mouse at all, and therefor, he has to go to the dungeon, and then he meets Roscuroe. A rat. And then there is Miggary Sow, she wants to be a princess, she is owned by a farmer, her dad sold her when she was little, and now she works for the princess!
Kid, 11 years old October 27, 2009

tweens & teens

to much talk on *** and i love how my family is not failing

Kid, 10 years old October 1, 2009

I LOVE theis Book!!!!

I love this book! I read in the third grade and its was kind of easy. But I've read this book @ least 4 times.I love the book and the movie!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydannystar August 27, 2009
HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT

Kid, 10 years old April 12, 2009

Wasn't that bad

This book wasn't too bad. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't heavily recommend it.