All member reviews for The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread

Kid, 11 years old November 3, 2011

it's a one-day book, but its tale is very long

I actually read this book in one adventure-filled day, and I was glued to the book the whole way through. The book may be about a force smaller than your hand, but it was very energetic, exuberant, and especially detailed. Although sometimes it tripped up with its old-schooled royal talk, it's definitely a book I aim for kids days away from becoming official tweens.
Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2010

boring

a bit of a childish book... in a bad way.

I laughed, I cried, I read the book twice.

Love the book so, so much! It's a little bit long, however timeless. It's a must-read for everyone 8 and up. Loved it!!!

A very Good Book!

Welcome to the story of Despereaux Tilling, a mouse who is in love with music, stories, and a princess named Pea. It is also the story of a rat called Roscuro, who lives in the darkness and covets a world filled with light. And it is the story of Miggery Sow, a slow-witted serving girl who harbors a simple, impossible wish. These three characters are about to embark on a journey that will lead them down into a horrible dungeon, up into a glittering castle, and, ultimately, into each other’s lives. And what happens then? As Kate DiCamillo would say: Reader, it is your destiny to find out.

My favorite book

I really loved this book. i dont know it was something about i tthat made me go WOW!! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilo150 May 6, 2015

The Tale of Desperaux

The author wrote this book in such an attention-capturing manner. I couldn't stop reading the Tale of Desperaux! There is always something happening and you wouldn't find a page without any action.
Kid, 8 years old April 17, 2012

for Despereaux Tilling

The story of a mouse, a princess, some soup and a spool of thread is one of my favorite books in the world.
Kid, 8 years old March 30, 2012

little violence

It's a good book, a little violent sometimes, like when Despereaux's tail gets cut off. Despereaux is also very brave. It was a little exciting, for example when Despereaux was going through the kitchen at night. I also felt sad when Despereaux's tail got cut off. I would like to recommend it to some 8 years olds that are interested in only a little violence.
Kid, 9 years old October 19, 2011

a kids pespective

this book is relay good I am reading it at school it takes it,s time to relay explane detale and show who the cariktors are I am in year 3 and have only read 3 chapters but so fare it is fabulous.
Kid, 10 years old August 16, 2011

A glance into the Tale of Despereaux.

could be confusing if child does not have someone to talk with after or while reading the book. There are hurt feelings throughout, no strong parental figures, yet there is the fairy-tale aspect of the story. The story of the little guy being triumphant over what is expected of him because he is born a mouse. He wants more from his life.....and he pursues it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCityofbonesfan019 January 12, 2011

One of my favorite books of all time

This book is amazing. I've read 3 or 4 times already. It does get a little violent when the rats tail is cut off, and when the uncle clouts the girl in the ear, but it's a fun read.
Kid, 11 years old September 23, 2010

MY FAVORITE BOOK!!!! <3

I read it when i was seven so i have no problem with the age, but there was some violence involed. Despareaux is a good role because he follow his heart.
Kid, 12 years old September 1, 2010

GOOD BOOK

GOOD book, only rated for 10+, because it skips between scenarios, making it more challenging to read. Over all, I liked it! Questions, Comments- 20qwerty30@gmail.com
Teen, 16 years old Written bylizzie3276 May 30, 2010

good for 7+

I read this book twice and I love it. It's got a positive message that is good for people of any age to read. It helps kids to feel compassion for those they don't understand. Miggery Sow is my favorite :)
Kid, 12 years old April 3, 2010

I liked this book but it can get kind of confussing you really have to focus on what your reading! it is not a book for a 8 year old! i say 10 or 11
Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2010

I love it! Just read it, and you'll see why!

I LOVE this book, this is one of my favorite books on earth. It took me only a day to read because I got SO into it! I love the story, How a little mouse falls in love with a princess, and has big ears, and does not act like a mouse at all, and therefor, he has to go to the dungeon, and then he meets Roscuroe. A rat. And then there is Miggary Sow, she wants to be a princess, she is owned by a farmer, her dad sold her when she was little, and now she works for the princess!
Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2010

Kid, 11 years old October 27, 2009

tweens & teens

to much talk on *** and i love how my family is not failing
Kid, 10 years old October 1, 2009

I LOVE theis Book!!!!

I love this book! I read in the third grade and its was kind of easy. But I've read this book @ least 4 times.I love the book and the movie!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydannystar August 27, 2009

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT