All member reviews for The Teacher's Funeral: A Comedy in Three Parts

Funny, fascinating, and exquisite historical tale.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFerrari43023 April 29, 2013

Best Book Ever!

This is a GREAT book! This book is especially good because it is focused on a time period that is very unique. It is a great opportunity to learn about the turn of the 20th century as well as how kids and the education system behaved. I would recommend this to everyone and say that it is the perfect balance of humor, wittiness and education.
Teen, 15 years old Written byally78940 April 9, 2008

i hated it

i hated it. it used country language that i did not understand.
Kid, 11 years old May 5, 2010

Worst book I've ever read.

AWFUL. Honestly the worst book I've ever read. This isn't a comedy. Before anyone says 'oh well you're kid you hate anything that's "Humor" isn't loud, obnoxious, and crude'. No. I have read and enjoyed comedies well beyond books I should even know about, including Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There are literally no jokes. not even things that could be skewed as jokes. No dry wit. No sarcasm. Nothing even remotely funny is in this book.also, the main character, while also an unreliable narrator, is a compete dewsh (censors defeated!). At one point near the end of the book he even complains (and and this is almost word for word) that he's 'gonna have to make something of himself' rather than work at thresher in the Dakotas ( which one? who knows!?). The only character I find even remotely 3 dimensional is Tansy, if only because she has to deal with the main character (who if not for the occasional mention might as well not have a name.). Really, avoid this book, I doesn't do any honor to my home state nor the early 19 hundreds.
Teen, 14 years old Written byquitecutexx93 November 17, 2008

it was amazingly HORRIBLE!

this book was one of the worst books i have ever read in my entire life. I have no idea why they call it a comedy because it was not funny whatsoever i din't even understand the storyline because it was so dumb... it had alot of bad grammar too wich made it really really hard to read. I dont reccomend this book to annyone because it was so dumb and borning.
Teen, 14 years old Written bywitwit February 4, 2010

i didnt like it at all too much country talk i will never read a book like that again

It was very good.

The Teachers Funeral The Teacher’s Funeral is a very good book! I liked it becaus it is funny and it tells a good story. Richard Peck tells his stories very well. They are easy to read and fun to read. I think it is great book for my age group.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrosegurl772 April 9, 2008

WORST BOOK EVER!!!!

WORST BOOK I EVER READ!! WE WERE REQUIRED TO READ IT AT SCHOOL AND 23 OUT OF 24 KIDS HATED IT!! INCLUDING ME! DO NOT READ! WARNING: DO NOT READ

BORING

I couldn't read this book without falling asleep. It's not funny! It's not a good read! WAY to country like! WAY to BORING!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written by fatcat18 December 13, 2011

best book ever

my teacher read it to us and it was great
Parent Written byJordan SoCool54 September 27, 2011

BEST BEST BEST. TRUTH TRUTH TRUTH.

Well for starters, I had to read this for school. I grew up in Alabama (heart of Dixie), live in Pell City now and I absouletly love this book. Many people dislike it because of 2 things. (1. They are city people who can't relate to this book because it's written for the country people who know a thing or two true about the country. (2. With today's society in the country, it's almost all "CITY"now. I think this book displays humor and heart felt words in 1 little book. I can relate to Russel because I did dearly dread school till my older days. Not only did it tell about the simple tale of a country family but it also did it with the old truth. If the wife dies, the father usally asks the sister to marry if not already married. Lloyd, or the other other usually act different and usually more different. Floyd, the suspected idiot, blows their minds with an amazing talent in art. Tansy is not all bad as she seems. Glenn makes the mighty name of Tarbox shine with his talents. Aunt Maud makes your mind shine when revealed to be the Sweet Singer of the town, and your mind can't take anymore and blows up when you find that Little Briches marries Russel near the end. I really recomend this book if you have the money and time.
Adult Written bylburnham September 11, 2011

Family Fun Reading

My little brother who is 13 years old had to read this book for school. At first, he did not like it, but once my mother and I started reading it, he really became interested in the story line. The humor can sometimes be overlooked if you are speeding through the book which I think is why my brother didn't like it originally, but we ended up reading the whole book in a day. The three of us sat around and read aloud by taking turns. We laughed and learned new words. Its set in a time that agriculture was prominent I suppose, but there was an emphasis on the importance of education and not allowing others to decide for you whether or not you should like learning and do certain things. The author did a wonderful job of making you feel as if you were there with the characters. When Tansy would get after her brothers, you were apprehensive for them. When Aunt Fanny fell into the ditch, you were there trying not to laugh and help them haul up the big woman. When Tansy was being tested for her teacher's certificate and the children were questioned on what they were learned, you were worried with the characters and rooting for them to do well. When Russell and Glenn burned their eyebrows off, you could see their ashen faces and the dread that poured over them when they realized what they had done to the school room. The last chapter is what really tied the whole book together, and it was a great ending! It is a great family read! You can't but help identify people in your family with the characters in the book. My brother kept on saying when Tansy would do certain things, "That is you sis!" It was an enjoyable day of reading.

Adult Written byCassyt April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byemares April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written bybvchick3021 April 9, 2008

this was a horrible book

I advise anyone who was planning on reading this book that is not a good book it bored me to death! I only read it because I had too! This would be a good book for you if you are looking for a book with a lot of dry humor. I strongly advise you not to read this book!