All member reviews for The Thief Lord

A modern version of the shipwrecked story.

Teen, 15 years old Written byShinjo April 9, 2008

This is a superb book that took great, suprising turns!

This is a great book that everyone ages 9 and up will love. There is so much going on and it makes you want to stay up all night to finish! I loved how things turned out much differently then most books, like the hero suddenly became a shameful stealer, and the others learn to forgive. A great lesson and book for all!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTressino April 21, 2011
Teen, 13 years old Written by666wolfgirl September 25, 2009

I love it!

This book is really awesome! It's creatively-written and indeed a page-turner. It grabs your attention and won't let it go, even to the very last page. The movie is also interesting, too. I didn't realize The Thief Lord was a book until I watched the movie. When I noticed it was written by Cornelia Funke, it was something I just HAD to read. She's a brilliant author and one of my favorites.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrocketgirl April 9, 2008

This book was somewhat slow moving so you had to be pulled in to like it.

The Thief Lord was a book where it seemed that they where telling two stories at once. You really had to experience something like it to have it be your #1 book. It is a book that is a strange mix of reality and fantasy combined. The main plot is about two brothers who run away to Venice and meet four orphan street kids who take tham in as family. As the story goes on secrets are told, promises are made and many other exciting, maybe even sad events take place. Have fun reading!
Teen, 14 years old Written bykaratedude April 9, 2008

Kid, 9 years old April 20, 2013

the truth

i am only on chapter 47 but it's the best book i've ever read.it gives educational value because when Scipio sneaks sneaks out and lies to his dad his friend gets taken to an orphanage and then ida and victor lies to get Caterina [hornet] out of the orphanage so to me that to me teaches kids like me to not lie because one lie can lead to another lie and also lies can lead to trouble and out of trouble so people shouldn't lie even if you can get out of it. best book ever.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMr.Whale April 11, 2013

The Thief Lord. good or bad for students? what i have to say.

when I had to choose between 30 different books for a school assignment, I immediately went for this book. I chose the book because Cornelia Funke is one of my favorite authors. "Dragon Rider" one of her other books I thought was really amazing and lots of fun to read. this book had disappointed me in many ways such as not having allot of cliff hangers, not many interesting things to go with the story or plot, and because it didn't have that magical element that Dragon Rider hooked me with. the characters I thought were very interesting however the plot along with them made me want to go do something else more fun and that will keep my mind active. so overall I am giving this book a 2 of 5 because I thought it would be much better than what I had expected. so, if you do choose this book you may like it if you are a big mystery fan but if you are choosing this because you have read Dragon Rider I tell you that it is not as exciting and you may finding yourself wanting to put it down
Kid, 12 years old April 4, 2013

my review

Teen, 17 years old Written byShooter913 December 13, 2012

THE OK BOOK FOR KIDS

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKK Book This is a ok book for kids all over the world
Kid, 12 years old March 9, 2011

Fine.

This book was very well-written. The story was... interesting, I will give it that. There was a nice cast of characters and it taught me some Italian. BUT... it was very boring, in my opinion. Over one-hundred pages were used for describing the life of the kids, their habits, who they are, and eventually a bit of excitement gets poured into it. It is very realistic except for the end, which I found to be quite weird. Overall, the book is a nice read. But nothing extremely exciting happens. I gave it three stars because I was able to get through it, and because I could still enjoy it at times.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCelticGirl February 27, 2011

Good Book-Inkworld books are better

This is a good book. The kids steal, though. Prosper and Bo want to stay together, and the rest of the kids are like a family. They welcome Bo and Prosper into their group. When they find out that The Thief Lord is actually rich, they are mad at him, but then they make up. The end is sad though, and I don't want to give it away, but I will say that it almost made me cry. Overall, it is a good book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byChaos7 January 29, 2011

This is my favorite book in the world, maybe due to the fact that I myself am Italian and the book is set in the most magical city in the world (it teaches alot about Venice, its history and myths, and the customs and traditions of the people that live there). The characters are wonderful and well structured, and Prosper takes care of his little brother Bo like any father would. Scipio (my favorite character in ANY book), even though he is really the son of a very wealthy Dottore (doctor), does whatever he can to help the orphaned street kids. Victor (another one of my favorites), the kindhearted detective who is hired to find Prosper and Bo, agrees to help the kids after learning about their Aunt Esther's cruel intentions to split the brothers up. There are plenty of negative characters, and the kids do steal, but this is understandable considering that they have no other options (they also later kidnap Victor under circumstances that I can't explain here without giving away the whole book; however they are not unkind to him). There is a lot of fighting, and Ida Spavento, the kind lady who later takes the orphans in after a series of complicated events, smokes a lot and there is a passing mention or two of alcahol. The book also has a slightly eerie feel to it, and there are quite a few very creepy scenes in it. However it is a wonderful book about friendship, family, and helping others even under dangerous circumstances. MY FAVORITE BOOK EVER!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN January 16, 2011

An adventurous tale told in one of the world's most beautiful cities.

Although the main children steal, they only steal enough to survive among the winding pathways and canals of beautiful Italy. Prosper and Bo are to be admired at how they managed to get to Italy all the way from America only having a general idea of what the country looks like from the mother's stories. United under one ruler, what will they do when the Thief Lord's real identity is revealed? I loved reading this book because it reminds me of how I use to imagine what it would be like to survive on my own in a big city and whether I'd have the strength to do it or not. That's my wild imagination for you! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byCliff Hanger January 16, 2011

Fantastic!

Amazing! This book is absolutley mid blowing. t teachs you Italian too! This is definatley one of my all time favorite books. You have to read it!
Educator Written bymegcain16 June 16, 2015

This is a very unique, well-written story. However, the story is more entertaining than educational. Although the author does include some Italian vocabulary, the only strong positive message is sibling loyalty. Unfortunately, this book also paints lying and stealing in a positive light, although in a subtle way.
Kid, 12 years old November 9, 2010

Lovely

I love this book to bits. It's perfectly written, and has good role models in it. (like Prosper, the main character, is like a father to his little brother, and he teaches him good things like not to steal) I love it and recommend it to everyone.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bybob1233221 October 6, 2010

awsome book

Fantastic!! I read it to my 7 year old daughter and i changed the bad words but it was nice and adventorus. READ IT there is about 6 bad words
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2010

not for kids!!

I started reading it but I didn't like it.At one part a little boy has a gun!
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2010