Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The True Meaning of Smekday

Alien invasion is comical and fun, but too long.

Parent of a 7 and 16 year old Written byroseb March 14, 2010
I am a 48 year old home school mom who read this book after hearing my 16 year old daughter laughing uproariously throughout the two days in which she devoured the book. I found it just as funny, well-written, and entertaining. I love the loyalty exhibited by Gratuity and J Lo, the depth of the characters, the tongue in cheek cultural observations, and the friendships and family ties that overcome any and all obstacles. I will purchase a copy for our home library and wait with great anticipation until my 7 year old is ready for his introduction to Smekland. Please say there is a sequel on the way!

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byBAJH February 20, 2013

Funny

We had lots of laughs together reading this book. A bit lengthy and too much detail in the middle, but overall a good read.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byReezer April 23, 2010

Beware the Gorg, but the Boov can be kinda cute!

Who can resist a buddy story about a cross-country trek made by an 11-year-old girl named Gratuity and her outcast, sidekick alien Boov named J.Lo who likes to eat soap, dental floss and soda cans! And those Gorg sure are poomps. Personally, I love this book! The humor is rampant and good feelings are everywhere. I am reading it at bedtime to my 8-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son. She "gets" most of the jokes, he doesn't, but still likes the story. We are buying this one for our home library!

Adult Written byDadx2 November 4, 2011

Hilarious, smart, touching book

A hilarious, fantastic, touching, smart book. This is laugh-out-loud funny. It features a whip-smart 12-year-old protagonist who thinks for herself and is loyal to her family and friends. Her buddy is an alien - a Boov - and the bond between the two of them fuels this gripping road trip story. Superb social satire that will be picked up by older kids. Go read this book!

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bysjjess June 26, 2015

Hilarious

I can't believe this book got only three stars from the CSM reviewer! This is one of the most hilarious books I have read in a long time, and it had charming friendship, a clever protagonist, world-saving heroics and lots of exciting (but not particularly scary) action. I could not put it down, and now my son can't, either! My only small comment is that while I giggled practically every time the alien character was referred to as "J.Lo," my son, age 8, did not get this reference, and therefore saw no humor in it. A joke you have to explain is just not that funny. I am sure some kids would get the joke, but "J.Lo" is not a pop-culture reference that will reach everyone!

Parent Written byJack D. April 3, 2018

Awesome

I recommend this book to people who like science fiction because it to do with aliens and unrealistic technology. The true meaning of Smekday has many puzzles to solve. The book was really long but, felt really short. It's guaranteed to make you laugh. Thumbs up!!!