All member reviews for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 3

Thrilling, thoughtful Narnian quest.

Parent of a 3, 4, and 7 year old Written byJessReplanted November 12, 2010

great book!

I have always loved this book, and I have really enjoyed reading it with my son (in anticipation of the movie being released!). When reading the book we focused on the Christian themes, and also learned about sailing ships.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM December 21, 2010

Not a better analogy for the young eyes than this!

Years ago, when I read this enchanting read by C.S. Lewis, its religious analogies and likable characters have engrossed my imagination. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is a novel I would readily recommend to a young person for its appropriate content, backed by historical, though in fictional setting, details, positive messages, and (parents smiling) good role models. A fascinating voyage from home-sweet-home Narnia across the uncharted seas to Aslan's homeland, this book will hook your young reader, as it has millions before, and promise the parents their child's safety though encountering perilous islands, cunning slave traders, and countless unknown dangers ahead. There isn't much to look out for in this book, except for occasional, but mild, violence and suspense. This is a "safe tale", as you could say, which honors me to give a 9+. For those searching for proper religious analogies for their child, you've hit the bulls-eye. There is rarely a better series for Christian analogies in the bookstore than this one. Perfect for young children and a perfect occupation for those anxious to see the film-version of this legendary piece of work. Enjoy the read and, eventually or not, the movie!
Kid, 10 years old November 15, 2010

Trust me

i think it will be awesome! (Movie) I saw the prewviews and trailor it might be a little vilont thats the only thing i am worried about but other than that go for it!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byjlipiec May 10, 2011

A Classic

I read this book, and all 7 Chronicles of Narnia books to my 4 year old, and we both loved it. I had to rephrase some of the writing and explain some words to him, but we both loved the adventure and incredibly good role models and messages. I think these books are almost essential to complimenting a Christian education as well.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byBoca7 December 4, 2010
Adult Written bynarniafan57 December 10, 2010

perfect for all ages even if someone reads it to them

best book of the series cant wait to see the movie
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2016

Superior Narnia adventure is very unique

This is one of the best of the Chronicles of Narnia. I personally liked The Last Battle the best, as it had really well-done villains and an incredibly gripping story. This, however, is a close second. If The Last Battle's villains were slightly more boring, and the plot was less gripping, this would be Number 1. Lucy is jealous of Susan because everyone thinks that Susan is "the pretty one". However, that is not exactly sexist. The people saying that Susan is the pretty one are sexist, but the story is not. Sexism is not that big of a problem in this story (The Silver Chair is also less sexist). This is also unique among the Narnia tales. Most Narnia tales are classic good vs. evil stories. This one is not. It is simply the story of King Caspian's sea journey to find the Seven Great Lords of Narnia. However, the characters learn valuable lessons and change as they go on this voyage. Eustace is at first horribly mean and selfish, but one experience in particular causes him to improve. Lucy learns to appreciate herself for who she is (so do the Dufflepuds). Caspian stopped being greedy. The characters all work very hard during their voyage. The characters also abolish slavery on the island of Doorn. Also, the other stories often are full of boring trekking scenes (The Silver Chair has the biggest trekking problem). This one is not. There is also some Christian allegory (Aslan tells Edmund and Lucy that they must learn to know him by another name in their own world). SPOILERS* This is a less violent story than the others. Reepicheep threatens Eustace with duels fairly frequently. The Dawn Treader (Caspian's boat) is damaged by storms a few times. The Dawn Treader is also attacked by a sea serpent and almost sinks, but no one is seriously injured. Eustace wears a metal bracelet when he turns into a dragon, and it is very painful for him. The main characters are captured by slave traders, but escape and abolish slavery shortly after. Reepicheep sails to Aslan's country (Narnian version of heaven). He technically does not die, but it is very painful for Caspian. The scariest part is the Dark Island, a strange place people start experiencing constant nightmares. However, the crew of the Dawn Treader are saved by Aslan shortly after. *SPOILERS END HERE* There is no sexual content. The only language is a use of a-- by Caspian. Overall, this is one of the better stories about Narnia, and I recommend it to all fans of Narnia that have not read it yet.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byjohnjt November 30, 2010

Wonderful adventure

Sometimes I feel as if the resolution of the various tension points are too quick and thus are not as effective within the book itself as they could be with a little more depth. But, the Narnia books are always good for discussion jumping off points, and the theme of temptation and dealing with it is a fine one to have with kids aged 7 and older.
Parent Written bytara1 October 14, 2014
Educator Written byreasonable mom August 14, 2011

a must

that this book is too violent is going to depend only on the maturity of the child. the nightly news is more violent than this.
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2011

Great Series to read!

A GREAT SERIES! read the narnia series and find yourself engulfed in fantasy adventures!
Adult Written bynationaltreasure February 1, 2011
Teen, 17 years old Written byMerlinFan17 December 28, 2010
One of the best books in the Narnia series, this book exchanges a direct villain for a seafaring adventure quest to find seven lords that King Caspian's uncle Miraz sent to sea in hope of disposing of. What starts out as a routine quest soon gets interesting when two of the Kings and Queens of old are fished out of the sea and join the adventure. They encounter slave traders, merpeople, dragons, and even a sea monster. A bratty cousin of the Pevensies learns the error of his ways, and as always, Aslan is the shining beacon of the Narnian books. There are many lessons here, not least of all the religious undertones. I don't really want to spoil the book or the new movie, so I'll just say this: This book is perfectly fine for even the youngest members of your family. I'm going to give a copy to my sister the moment she can read.
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bymarcriley December 10, 2010

Great for pre-teens, but teens these days might get bored.

I first read the whole series when I was about 10 years old...and have read them about once every for years, from that point til now. As an adult I still enjoy reading all the books in the series because it takes me back to my younger days. The Dawn Treader was a great adventure for me! I do remember a feeling of uncertainty when thinking of a sea voyage, but mostly because I have a slight fear already of "the deep blue sea". Despite that I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it to be an incredibly fun fantasy adventure.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 7 year old Written byVisualjah December 4, 2010

Dream-like fantastic story rich with mature lessons for kids