All member reviews for The Water Horse

Another sweet animal tale from Babe author.

Kid, 12 years old May 30, 2011

A heartwarming story about friendship and caring for others!

I loved this book! It was a charming read! It had positive messages about friendship and caring for others! It is not violent. Unless you consider the water horse wrecking a boat and eating some birds very violent. Although, in one part of the book, a heron pecks thw water horse leaving a little bit of blood on its skin. One character says son of a sea cook to replace the b word. One character also offers a wee drum. Besides that, there is nothing very wrong with this book. Kids ages 8 and up should read it.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byloisj June 22, 2009

Great book

Loved this book! Read it to my 5-year-old and he was engrossed. I especially like that there are no "bad guys" and no violence. It's just a story about keeping a special creature secret so it stays safe from people who won't understand. I also like it because the protagonist is a resourceful girl (about 8 or 9 years old) with a younger brother (5 or 6) who is there for comic relief. Unfortunately, the movie version switched the role of the siblings so that the boy is the lead and older and the girl is marginal. So read the book--it's better than the Hollywood version, which apparently is based on the idea that boys are so much more suitable main characters that they will change the book for no other reason!