All member reviews for The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963

A funny novel with a devastating emotional punch.

Kid, 10 years old January 30, 2010

Better For OLDER Kids

I didn't like this very much. I think this is iffy for kids age 10. Some of the things in here really bothered me; when the mom tries to burn one of her kids fingers, the personification of the 'Wool Pooh' or whirlpool, the bombing of the church, and seeing a dead girl which the main character thought was his sister among other things. I think younger kids might get freaked out about some of the things that happen in this story.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byCheckerz December 3, 2009

this book has cursing and lots of it! example- "I thought i told your jive a$$ to shut the h311 up and enjoy the dam (cant spell it right because it wont let me) cookies!" thats what Byron said to his little brother Kenny! Byron also plays with fire! he does things when his parents tell him not to do it! theres a bombing in a church! DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD READ THIS NASTY BOOK!
Adult Written byHkboo2 January 31, 2009
Parent of a 8 year old Written byClara Grammer May 11, 2010

Able to use this book across the curriculum

My fifth-graders love to study this book at the same time we complete our Civil Rights unit in social studies. It is very funny. Many of my children come from similar socioeconomic groups, so they are able to relate to the children. They are also at a time where peer relations are becoming a big issue, and this story deals with this as well. Credit was also discussed and tied into economics lessons, in addition to inventions (the Ultra Glider, air conditioning, etc. Love the book. You can use it in some many different ways to teach.
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2009

The Watsons Go to Birmingham

Teen, 14 years old Written byFSDVNCUJFEVNIU May 15, 2012

Don't Read

The story”The Watsons Go to Birmingham,” isn’t that great of a book. It shouldn’t be for anyone under 10 at least. There is language used by a character in the story (a-word, d-word, s-word, and also Ni****.) The storyline is simple. It’s about a African-American family who lives during the civil rights movement. They make their way to Birmingham. They end up in the middle of the bombing. I won’t say what happened next, if you do decide to read the book. However this isn’t that great of a book. The mother of the kids, tried to burn one of her kids hands, because he disobeyed her. Also the book makes reference to Nazis trying to be funny. The author tries to be funny, but is not.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bythomas ross October 5, 2010

i love this book it is a very good book and it has a little cussing in it and it has some violence in it like squirrels getting shot by a 22 and a bird dies and stuff like that i would recommend this to a 12 or older
Kid, 11 years old January 19, 2010

Perfect for people age 9 to ?.

Love It ! It talks about people that were bullied because of their behavior, character, and looks.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybabykajh May 18, 2009

I Loved It!

This book is in my reading class for a project and it is awesome! Well what I've read so far. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 400000000! Lol. Haha.
Adult Written byagustina April 14, 2009

READY-AIM-FIRE also BREATH TAKING

I think this book is great. Everyone must have taken a big breath when they found out Joetta wasn't dead! My teacher stop right at the moment they were going to tell us if Joey (a.k.a Joetta) was dead. I would give this book more stars if they had more. It was just a breath taking book.Kenny's favorite line to say must have been "ready aim fire" because I know it's mine now. I recommmend this book for all ages up to 12. READY-AIM-FIRE!!!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old April 23, 2012

Lovve It

I love this book it is so funny for language arts we had to do a play off the book and i chose chapter 5 were Byron gets burnt up by Momma
Parent Written byAmazing writer January 13, 2012

EXCELLENT....

This is an excelent book with real life characters. The story covers life situations a black family encountered during the 1960's.
Kid, 11 years old December 22, 2010

Byron says the H-word, the D-word, the S-word, and the A-word in this book. The people also says "Oh my god!" and "I swear to God" a lot which kind of offended me. Also, I don't like how Byron play with fire, cusses, kills baby birds, and punches second graders. Little kids might get upset when Byron kills a tiny baby bird with a Swedish Cremes cookie. Also, I got very worried in two scenes : One was the part with the bombing in the church, and two was Kenny's near-death experience with Wool-Pooh. Great book, but slightly edgy for young readers.
Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2010

the best!

i really want to watch the movie i read the book and its almost the best book i read in my life its so real even no its non fiction the book is great and cant wait to watch the movie!
Adult Written byevergreen2 March 1, 2010

The Watsons -not ok for classroom

The writing is bad, vernacular irrelevant to modern world, abusive nature of mom in chapter 5, references to Nazis (supposed to be funny), God. Wool Pooh nonsensical to young children. Trying too hard, message of civil rights lost . So many better works out there. Title is misleading. Language over the top for children... "nekkid ladies" p 40; garbage truck full of dead frozen people, teasing; "I'ma gonna hunt you down and hurt you bad" p. 57; Byron kills a bird then vomits; on drive to Birmingham, "if they caught your ass out here like this they'd hang you now"; "what the hell you starin at?"
Kid, 12 years old August 7, 2009

Great for kids 10-14

Great book, read it 8 monthes a go for school as a read-aloud book. Everyone enjoyed it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byavidcritc December 24, 2008

terrific... ish

the book is totally terrific except byron's complete behavioral about-face went way too quickly. when reading the rest of the book, this family was so real they might have been living next door. but byron went from delinquent to understanding older brother in about three pages.
Teen, 14 years old Written byxkittehx April 9, 2008

I loved this book. My friend did too, so maybe that's a good thing. I really recomend this to anyone who wants to read a good historical-fiction book.

okay for 12+...

I think the worst part in this book is when Byron and his brother are sitting in a tree {K-I-S-S-I-N-G no just kidding} and Byron's brother says to Byron,"how 'bout we do us some cussin'?"