All member reviews for The Wednesday Wars

Funny, breathtakingly poignant '60s coming-of-age tale.

Teen, 17 years old Written byPieCakeCookie123 April 22, 2010

Boring...

I don't love it or hate it... BUT IT WAS BOOO-RING! The idea wasn't bad, but it's not a book I would choose, considering I had to read it for school. I am a Sisterhood of the Traveling pants and Harry Potter person. But this was just stupid. Sorry to Wednesday Wars fans!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymaureen102 March 12, 2010

Tweens and Under

It's more for kid's age 8 to 12 but I read it, I liked it but also it's more of a book for boys then girls
Kid, 12 years old January 7, 2012

Great Review!

it is a very good book- for people SEVENTH grade and older! They do make A BUNCH of references to Shakespear while if you are reading in, like, fourth grade, you wouldn't understand. They do make references about "killing Holling if he didn't bring cream puffs", "knowing where he lived", and all about the war going on in the 70's, flower children, and hippies. So if you are 12,older, or in junior high, this is a MUST READ, but if you are 10 or under, it's best you find a new book.
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

Kat's point of view

Personally, I don't think that kids should read what they don't understand. What I mean by this is that, sure, it's cool to read what older people would read, but chances are the words are just slipping past your brain. In my opinion, this was a fantastic novel based on the life of a seventh grader in the 1960's. Also, it really shows how things have changed since then, and it's an interesting read for somebody who likes classic books. All in all, I recommend that older kids and young adults read this novel and try to understand how Shakespeare is applied to the lives of whom actually care. ( If you have not read the classic Romeo and Juliet by him I deeply recommend it. His words touched my very soul.)
Kid, 8 years old April 8, 2010

seventh grade troubles

great! it was interesting,had good and bad points,and many others. overall,it was good.
Educator Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A great "growing up" story

The author does a great job in creating the time period and being true to the life of a seventh grader. I just love how grows in maturity and with his relationship with his teacher. It had to be scary knowing you were going to spend one-on-one time with your seventh grade teacher. While some behavior is not great the warm feeling overcome that.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMatt223 May 8, 2012

So so book

It was a soso book but did i like it? Yes, but there is smoking and a lot of violence in it.
Kid, 11 years old February 4, 2012

Boring as boring gets

AWFUL BOOK! Don't read unless you like to be bored out of your mind!
Kid, 12 years old November 20, 2011

Read when you are in Middle School

I can relate to a lot of the stuff in this book because I am in Middle school. I think this is a great story, if you are mature enough to handle it and don't get bored easily.
Kid, 10 years old August 4, 2011

A great book for all ages, but badly written

I really enjoyed this book because it is good for all ages. You can definitely relate to this book if you are in or going into seventh grade. This book had laughs at parts, and was very enjoyable. I noticed that through out the book that it had stuff have as "coincidence", but really Schmidt needed something to have an excuse for adding something else. For example, the baker says, " you never meet a boy who knows about shakespeare." "Coincidentally", the main character knows about shakespeare and goes in a play. The book would have been completely different without a play. But, if you were alive during the Vietnam war, you can definitely relate.
Parent of a 11 year old Written by5th grade teach... March 4, 2011

Read this before you are out of junior high!

Middle school and junior high students should love this book. I read it to my students every year and they are spellbound throughout. I've noticed many have improved their own writing as they pick up on the author's style. Schmidt does a great job of referencing Shakespear and atheletics.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bydocbot July 28, 2010

I didnt like it

My daughter found it dry and not a good read.
Kid, 11 years old September 16, 2014

good book

I liked this book. It is very good. Nothing bad in it.
Kid, 11 years old November 13, 2012

somewhat dry, but very good

good book , but don't bother if you get bored easy. it has some dry content but over all very good
Teen, 13 years old Written bymrbookworm01 March 17, 2012

Great book for tweens

I've read this book and it's really good. It has great dialogue, well-developed and relatable characters, and a great plot. It has little content inappropriate for tween readers and has a positive message about caring for friends and family. OK for kids 11+. Violence: Mentioning of the shooting deaths of Martin Luthor King, Jr. and John Kennedy. Lots of discussion of a war taking place as a backdrop to the plot. A student falls off a bus while riding it and Holling is hit by a bus, but nobody's seriously hurt. Older students are shown bullying others, and hurts Doug during a marathon. Mrs. Baker's husband is mentioned to have gone missing, but is later found unhurt. Consumerism: Mentioning of Twinkies, Coke, and a Ford Mustang. Drinking: Middle schoolers smoke in a school bathroom.
Teen, 13 years old Written byUseursense December 27, 2013

Really great: You'd be missing out if you didn't read it!!!

I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH AND I HAVEN'T EVEN FINISHED IT!!!! It is placed in the 1960's, and follows Holling Hoodhood's story of seventh grade. In the beginning, he is convinced that his teacher, Mrs. Baker, hates him because he is a different religion than all of his classmates, so he has to stay in the classroom on Wednesday afternoons when everyone goes to their churches during school. (Remember, this is in the 1960's.) You get a lot of politics here. (Spoiler alert.) MLK dies. Vietnam war. Stuff like that. Holling's sister wants to be a flower child. Mickey Mantle is mentioned, but is only present in one chapter. Violence: Two rats chase Holling and get ran over by a bus. Holling chucks a snowball at the bully. Holling gets hit by bus while saving sister. (He only gets bruises, but rushed to the hospital. Mai Thi is Vietnamese, and is bullied in school. Danny gets tripped and gets "bloody knees." Romance/stuff like that: Meryl Lee has a love/hate relationship with Holling. Valentine's day is...interesting, but nothing bad happens. One kiss, nothing is described. Holling is Ariel in the play, The Tempest, and has to wear yellow tights with white feathers on the behind. Language: Holling tries out some of the curses that Shakespeare wrote in his plays, no swear words though. A couple of boys use the word, "pied ninny" on some antagonist characters. Drinking/drugs/smoking: eighth graders smoke in the school bathroom, Holling's mom smokes secretly, without her husband knowing. Brands: Coke. I really love a lot of the characters, the only one I hate is Holling's dad, who is a very selfish businessman. It's a really funny book!!!! ONE OF MY FAVORITES!
Teen, 16 years old Written bygasp December 5, 2010

For any middle School and up child

Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2010

FANTASTIC BOOK!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byandasif May 13, 2012

The great book!

I really like this book! I tried to read it 2 or 3 times before but could never get into it. I had to read it for book club and ended up really enjoying it. It is very realistic and very funny at the same time. It is very good for people starting middle school but i think little kids would like it too.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytakethatcharlie January 5, 2012