All member reviews for The Wish List

Wicked is the key word here, in all its senses.

Teen, 15 years old Written byHales April 9, 2008

I loved this book! Everyone should have a chance to read it!

I loved this book- it was funny, sad, exciting... just an all-around great book. My friend chose it for a book club- and WOW does she have good taste! I read it in 2 days- it wasn't too hard, and keeps you interested from the first page to the last. I'd definitely read "The Wish List"- it's one hell of a book! (if you excuse the pun!) :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byHermit April 9, 2008

I love it

I first read it when I was eleven or twelve, and it's a very good book that keeps you entertained. I think it has a lot of food for thought, and it teaches you a little bit, although you don't know it. It's got humour, drama, and of course, suspense. A very good novel from a very good author - I would definitely recommend it for anyone who asks. ~Hermit
Teen, 13 years old Written bysparrowgirl152 April 9, 2008
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2010

erfect for a large variety of readers

i think it is good
Teen, 13 years old Written byVriksh May 16, 2010

for teens who love adventure

it is a good book and full of adventure and suspense
Teen, 14 years old Written byhimyfriend February 15, 2011

I simply love the book, the only thing is that for youngster it may be confussing because of the way they humoresly describe heaven and hell.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJerryTheKarktato November 23, 2010

Really good books for children are rather rare to one who deosn’t have a penchant and desire to laboriously scour the shelves of a local Waterstones retailer for hours; a search that too often ends in an underwhelming ‘Twilight’ rip-off that is the exact same as the aforementioned teenage novel, absolute drivel. Nevertheless, stumbling upon ‘The Wish List’ was a pleasant surprise- I rarely pick up a teenage fiction book (Despite actually being a teenager) normally because the storyline and characters are poorly written, and the ethics and morals put forward are so seemingly fed out of a tin of ‘Moral and Ethics for Teens’ it’s unbelievable. The first page of Eoin Colfer’s ‘The Wish List’ sets the tone for the rest of the story- suspense and character is conveyed and then something dramatic happens; generally relating to the character’s personalities that so effectively persuade the story to adhere to their eccentric disposition, something irritatingly overlooked in many works of fiction. The characters are believable and likeable; and the story is written to not only reinforce this; but aid it. The story itself tells the rather idiosyncratic and aberrant tale of Meg and Belch. The two characters begin the story by attempting (unsuccessfully) to burgle an old man: Lowrie McCall (ironically and intelligently portrayed as a stereotypical OAP) this murder ends in the untimely death of both- but this death, rather than being the end is a beginning for both characters. Belch is sent to hell, for being a generally evil person, but Meg is given a second chance- a return to Earth to right her wrongs by supporting the elderly McCall in performing his wish list. This sets the scene for a beautifully written, zany novel which offers a valuable lesson for life (for those of any age) while packing in a story that is full of suspense and excitement. The perspicacity of the old man and the reluctant-to-bond young Meg form exactly that; a bond between to generations so rarely understood. Colfer manages all of this without making anything sound too cheesy or puerile; while spinning what is essentially the perfect tale. A great example of this is the love story between Cicely (a TV star in the style of Alan Titcshmarsh) and Lowrie, when Lowrie asks her if she remembers ‘that night,,,, after the cinema when I didn’t kss you, do you ever wonder’ to which Cicely quite delicately replies ‘Every Day and night Lowrie McCall, every day and night’ suggesting the regrets of a pensioner that (with only half a year to live) can never be rewritten. A masterpiece for this generation; a book that should be read regardless of age. Pure literary delight.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

good book

soo.. hi.. a good read...
Adult Written byPaigeSpear November 28, 2014

what are all these parents saying?

there wasn t a 15 And Olde r butt on I chose 1 7 a nd under but anyways im 15 and I have read this book and loved but what are all these parents saying its for kids age 10 this book is about an abusive stepfather that is a smoker and a drinker and a girl that has died almost goes to hell and she has to complete the bucket list of an old man that is an ass and if she doesnt do some kind of good she is going to go to hell I read this when I was 12 but that was because I got it from my mentor and she didnt really care ether and I love messed up stuff like this and im a writer too and when I was reading this I even thought it would be for more of teens and now im 15 three years later read the book again and still think it and this book gets really sad at times as well it is as big emotional rollercoaster so I think this book is for 15 and older
Kid, 11 years old September 12, 2012

The Wish List

I think it is a great book with an amazing battle of good vs. evil but might be a conflict with people with different religious beliefs. There are some parts with some violence. The violent parts are when Belch (Meg's boss in crime) attempts to scare Meg (the main character) by shooting the gas cans but ends up killing them both. Another violent part is the two times Franco (Meg's stepfather) hit her. over all is a good book. I would recommend it to kid's that are at least 11.
Teen, 14 years old Written by0neTwoThree July 20, 2010

THE BEST BOOK EVER

I love this book. i read it when i waz like 11 and it still would have the same suspense and adventure for me as it did when i first read it. its the best book ever. i recommend it for anyone.