All member reviews for The Wishing Spell: The Land of Stories, Book 1

Captivating, imaginative story of kids in fairy-tale world.

Parent Written byrosiegirl November 27, 2012

Skip it.

It is true that books that take a new look at characters are popular these days. But this is not a well written one.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBriarWindslow April 24, 2014

Cardboard Cutout Characters and Offensive to Kids

How on Earth did this book get a five star rating when The Ever Afters: Of Giants and Ice only got three and the Sisters Grimm series only four? I barely got through the first few chapters. The storyline is extremely predictable and flat. The characters were cardboard cutouts with no depth. The first, an extreme nerd obsessed with fairytales who, since she is the girl in this story, apparently HAS to be beautiful and blonde: "I can't wait for this lesson!" The second, a stereotypical pranky lady's man 'bro' who naps in class and doesn't try in school. I had heard great things about this book and expected more. This book was extremely offensive to kids everywhere because it flat out calls all of the children of this generation stupid and uneducated, obsessed with screens and movies, unaware of the world around them, terribly read, and unable to see over their own huge ego as they laugh at fart jokes and other stupid humor. Oh, EXCEPT for the angelic, beautiful, perfect, well-rounded girl who is the main character and the only person who has read a single fairytale! I was extremely offended by the way my generation was depicted. Even though there may be some people like that, all of the people I know are well read, much more mature, more educated, and well rounded. In all truth, it doesn't take much to be more well rounded than some of his characters. I didn't want to read the rest of the book because the author obviously has no respect for the demographic he is writing for, both in his cutout characters that would suffice for the brains that he seems to think we have and the way he portrays us: terribly.
Educator and Parent Written bytlclibrary August 26, 2013

Page Turner

This is an awesome book! My son Ryan really enjoyed it! I never knew Chris Colfer, a main character in glee, could write. It was an very exciting and overall good book.
Parent Written bystephenk1 June 1, 2015

amazing

I loved this book.I read it with my daughter and she loved it and i was entranced by how it is
Adult Written byHazelCabrahan March 9, 2015

It was just so amazing and creative!

I really enjoyed reading the book though I've just finished reading the Wishing Spell and is now in the middle of The Enchantress Returns. For sure the readers will enjoy reading this book if you will not just take a big deal about some of the violent struggling scenes of Alex and Conner because the author had delivered it to be not too frightening for the kids. I just love how the author put a more interesting story about fairy tale characters and even linking many of them creating stories that were never told in common. The part where the twins discovered that their grandmother was Cinderella's stepmother was very awesome. Reading a book with the concept of linking our world to another dimension is so soothing and relaxing. Just wow! Congrats to the author and thanks for writing such a nice story not just for adults but for kids too.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGretelShea October 24, 2013

Well done Chris Colfer!!

I LOVED this book. You can tell Chris Colfer actually did his research on the actual original Grimm's Fairy tales for this story. I can tell that a lot of imagination went into this book, and I'm definitely going to read the second one!
Kid, 8 years old January 5, 2016

Couldn't put it down!

This book is one of the best books i've ever read. It is a great exciting book to read if you'r bored or don't have any other reading material. I love how there is so much action in all the books in the series. This book introduces the main characters Alex and Conner Bailey. They're grandmother is from the fairy tale world but the twins do not know about this. she gives them a book witch is really a portal to the fairy tale world. You should read this to find out more. Happy reading!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byyvonne17 April 2, 2015

Great book.

My 10 year old son read this book on his own, and the entire series has become one of his favorites. I think it would also be a good book for parents to read to their younger children aged 8 and up.
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2014

Good for younger kids

My younger sister originally got this book from the library and I took it from her to read it because it looked interesting. The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell was crafted greatly and I really think kids 8-10 will enjoy this.
Kid, 9 years old August 5, 2014

One of the best fairy tale books I have read!

Very good book I think lots of kids would like reading it. I liked the talking frog in the book. The book starts out kind of slow but I would still recommend it for other kids.
Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2015

So Awsome!!!!!!!

I don't even have the right words to explain how much I LOVED this book! It's fun and full of adventure, one of my favourite books for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byBlackSheep2205 April 20, 2015
Kid, 11 years old October 20, 2014

a little bit of violence

It was one of the best books I have ever read. It has a bit of violence, but not that much and it is very exciting. It is also cool how all of the fairy tale characters are imagined.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMinionbuddy63 May 9, 2014

Quite Good Actually!

I am not into Disney type fairy tales so I am really happy he used older versions of fairy tales which I love. I love Chris Colfer on Glee and the fact that he is able to write books I really enjoy is amazing. I have not read the second book yet but I am dying to read it, it's nice when you are getting older to read a fairy tale type book. I just love this book.
Aunt Written byZoe N. September 28, 2016
Kid, 11 years old August 17, 2016

Incredible book about adventures in a different dimension!

The first book in the Land of Stories series is a well written book about a different dimension. Chris Colfer creates a whole new world and environment while still keeping it believable. He also leaves lots of room for imagination.
Kid, 12 years old July 17, 2016

My favorite book!!

This is a great book!! It got me into reading! I love it! It is a must read.
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2016

I love, love, love this book!

The Land of Stories is an amazing series, and The Wishing Spell (Book One) starts off everything wonderfully. It's about two twins named Alex and Conner who believe that they're completely ordinary children until Alex finds an portal to the fairytale world in their grandmother's old storybook. The twins travel to the fairytale world and go on an amazing journey to collect all of the Wishing Spell items so they can go home. But beware, the Evil Queen wants those items, too.
Kid, 12 years old July 8, 2016

BEST STORY/SERIES EVER

OK PEOPLE, people who think this book is lame and pointless are wrong. It is so good, not better thank harry potter but so good, I loved it and I'm even buying the fifth book so read it!!!